FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Buying A 88 300zx
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
ok so i recently found a 1988 300zx z31 in a friends garage. MINT. naturally aspirated, t tops, black, MANUAL. what should i keep an eye out for on it corrosion wise and any problems with these cars?

im getting the car for a steal to, 1500 bucks and its has low km's on it.

this car has been in my friends garage for 5 years and ive known her for 7 and never even noticed it. now her dad is selling it. soo pumped for this guys i love these cars
GFXjamie,Dec 21 2008, 12:44 PM Wrote:ok so i recently found a 1988 300zx z31 in a friends garage. MINT. naturally aspirated, t tops, black, MANUAL. what should i keep an eye out for on it corrosion wise and any problems with these cars?

im getting the car for a steal to, 1500 bucks and its has low km's on it.

this car has been in my friends garage for 5 years and ive known her for 7 and never even noticed it. now her dad is selling it. soo pumped for this guys i love these cars
[right][snapback]278609[/snapback][/right]
Wow ... amazing coincidence ... my wife's stepmother has an 88 300zx (but with auto!) that's been in her garage for about that time (she bought it with the insurance money when her first husband died - LOL) -- I know nothing about that car specifically, but I would be wary of the availability of parts - especially those that might not be supplied by the aftermarket - considering it's age and considering that relatively speaking it was a very low volume car.

You might want to give the parts department of your local Nissan dealer a call just to confirm that the parts you might need are easily available.

EDIT: just checked some parts at my online source for Nissan and it appears that there are quite a few brake, clutch, cooling system and other parts still available for that car ... and not terribly expensive either (at least in the US) -- this deal sounds like a steal.
thanks for looking that up ken, you rock. ya im really excited to get this thing. im gunna go look for some forum sites to see what im getting myself into. in the end, its gunna be a fun car for me and my dad as we have always loved these body styles. good old datsun.

we had a chance about 8 year ago to grab a 78 280z for about 2g's and my mom who was still around back then screwed that up. time to make up for her mistakes haha. wud be nice to do a z32 TT swap forsure but i doubt this will ever make it that far unless i win the lottery.

keep the replies coming guys
anyone??
The 300ZX TTs were plagued with low maintenance clearance to work on the engine. A n/a engine may be easier to deal with. They're not too bad on consumables from what I was told - and this was about a TT.

They were one of the last great "simple" sports cars - easy enough to work on, not hard on plugs or clutches, great driveability. You'll likely want to find a Canadian 300ZX forum for some hard info, tho. What I'm recounting is from a few car shows I attended with my last ZX5.
I had an 86. It was pretty much rusted inside and out when I got it. Electrical issues, leaky sunroof and some crazy tire wear from suspension being messed up.

I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. So much fun to drive.

Awesome price. Do it. Do it.
n/a sucks turbo it and turn it into a drifter
lol i knew you would say that. i have that idea kicking around, or doing a n/a swap from 90+ (220 hp, VVT, dohc)
Just buy a turbo if you want a turbo. And then cry when you realize that servicing it sucks donkey balls. They're awesome cars, I love 'em. But a TT ZX has ZERO room under the hood. It's ridiculous.

Personally, I'd go with what you've found. You could always restore it perfectly, sell it and go with something else later on.
my plan as of right now is to restore and add bolt on power. i dont want a race car because i have a mustang waiting to do that. the focus is going to be a autox/drag/show car and this will be a fun car. planning on intake, headers, catback, hiflow cat, upgraded shocks/struts, nice wheels, ECU upgrade and get it in 100 mint shape. heck it will be a classic sooner or later. one more thing, i will also swap out LSD from a turbo model. other then that, i dont need a street demon.
Sell it to me!!!!!!
meford4u,Dec 23 2008, 11:12 PM Wrote:Sell it to me!!!!!!
[right][snapback]278749[/snapback][/right]

maybe once i have my fun with it lol