FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Body shop woes...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A little more than a month ago I bought a 2012 GLI, seemed like the best fit of performance/cost I could at the time. Its mainly the Wifes car in the summer so I was forced with the auto, and the DSG is a very nice auto. Happy with my choice there, although when I see the ST I have mixed feelings...but that's not my problem..

Less than 2 weeks into owning it, my scratch/dent/chip free car got molested at a red light by a pathfinder. I took it to VW in Whitby to get fixed, I wanted VW parts only on my car. The shop was insurance approved so I figured not that much damage its an easy fix be back in a week or two.

Now the shop's had my car for 30 days, went to pick it up Friday after getting the call that it was ready. It actually looked decent as I walked up and checked it out but then...as I get closer... I see a few fish eyes in the trunk , paint runs and bad orange peel on basically every plastic piece they put paint on. Thankfully I had my daughter with me and kept my cool and they did say they would "fix" the problems. They blamed the poor quality VW plastics, thats funny because none of the VW's from the factory look like this.

Question is what should I do when I go back Monday and its still not fixed right? Should I call my insurance and ask them to hold payment until it is fixed right by another shop? Do I have any recourse at all?
(10-28-2013, 01:14 PM)hardk0re Wrote: [ -> ]A little more than a month ago I bought a 2012 GLI, seemed like the best fit of performance/cost I could at the time. Its mainly the Wifes car in the summer so I was forced with the auto, and the DSG is a very nice auto. Happy with my choice there, although when I see the ST I have mixed feelings...but that's not my problem..

Less than 2 weeks into owning it, my scratch/dent/chip free car got molested at a red light by a pathfinder. I took it to VW in Whitby to get fixed, I wanted VW parts only on my car. The shop was insurance approved so I figured not that much damage its an easy fix be back in a week or two.

Now the shop's had my car for 30 days, went to pick it up Friday after getting the call that it was ready. It actually looked decent as I walked up and checked it out but then...as I get closer... I see a few fish eyes in the trunk , paint runs and bad orange peel on basically every plastic piece they put paint on. Thankfully I had my daughter with me and kept my cool and they did say they would "fix" the problems. They blamed the poor quality VW plastics, thats funny because none of the VW's from the factory look like this.

Question is what should I do when I go back Monday and its still not fixed right? Should I call my insurance and ask them to hold payment until it is fixed right by another shop? Do I have any recourse at all?

If you're driving an insurance provided loaner, simply don't take possession of your car until you're happy with it - that keeps the pressure on both the shop and the insurance company to get it right.
TAKE PHOTOS.
I got it back after another complaint about scratches, it's back. The paint is slightly off still but I'm not sure any shop can guarantee it will match 100%. For sure don't want them to touch anything further. At this point it's just a lesson learned.