FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: rebuild rim
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys just wondering if it is still possible to use a rim thats been crack before ? the rim is repaired would it be drivable ?
Yep,

The only issue you can look for is small air leak from crack and a bent section of the rim.

To see if there is a air leak just mount a tire and spray soapy water on the repaired area. Wait a little bit to see if it develops bubbles. If it does then clearly it is not repaired.

As for the bend in the rim if there is one. Just make sure you have a good balance and stick it on the rear if it has a vibration...
(11-08-2013, 01:54 PM)Scorcher000 Wrote: [ -> ]Yep,

The only issue you can look for is small air leak from crack and a bent section of the rim.

To see if there is a air leak just mount a tire and spray soapy water on the repaired area. Wait a little bit to see if it develops bubbles. If it does then clearly it is not repaired.

As for the bend in the rim if there is one. Just make sure you have a good balance and stick it on the rear if it has a vibration...

I'm just worried that the rim might give up on me, it's got tires on them I'll look for an air leak. I'll post a photo of the repair
as long as they spin straight and hold air and balance out, they should be fine for regular duty use. use your best judgement on the repair. if it looks like a hack job, it likely is. there is a proper way to repair wheels, then there is jb weld and tire sealant or many other various ways to make wheels seem fine
There are a few issues with welding/fixing a rim...
You have to make sure that who ever welded it know's what type of aluminum it is or the weld will let go.
Make sure the weld has been cleaned up on the inside of the bead of the rim so the tire can have a good seal.
Make sure the rim was some what straightened before being welded or it will crack again in the same location.

No matter how bad the rim spins it can always be balanced out, but it doesn't mean it won't shake or cause a problem with other parts of the car like bushings, tie rods, bearings, etc.

If you have a tire already mounted, I would just keep checking the pressure instead of trying to get the right soap water mixture to find if it's leaking.

And for the love of god, never use leak repair... it will destroy the tire, the paint inside and outside of the rim, and if you have tpms it will eat away at the sensor.
Here is a photo of the rim
Ya that looks like a nice clean weld. No air pockets and it is ground down nicely too.

Just go with it. If you have an issue just cone into my works shop and we can soap it down and give her a spin on the balancer for you.

Lottridge Tire
1375 Britannia Rd east across from the Flying J truck stop.
You can feel the bumps when you run your hamd through it
hey guys just wanna know where I can get my rims repaired ? these rims I got are bent
A good repair costs as much as an inexpensive rim new - those rims you have better be real valuable.

I looked into getting a rim repaired a few years ago at Carcone's and it was expensive.

There are also a number of mobile repair shops that straighten and refinish rims, but they tend to serve the dealership market.

Good luck.

(12-04-2013, 07:09 AM)rnzo86 Wrote: [ -> ]hey guys just wanna know where I can get my rims repaired ? these rims I got are bent
tend to be starting at 100$ and upwards from there. most places will advertise they can fix anything when reality kicks in they will tell you they cant. rim doctor in kitchener (they suck) are 125$/wheel for a basic repair refinish, anything with colours or polishing is more ofcourse. Just to look at them if they have tires you have to pay a base fee of around 30$. its a pain in the rear to be honest. unless they are some special, get a new set of wheels and move on. not to mention most wheels can be picked up for the 100-200$ mark these days for something relatively well built like a fast wheel, motegi, sparco etc... lots out there.

post up the wheel and lets see where its bent. some old school tire shops will bend it back for you with a little heat, some wood and a mallot. ive had it done before when i was told a wheel couldnt be repaired and its still rolling to this day, just put it on rear if it isnt 100% perfection after they correct most of the bend.
Im think to just get new set and see if I can salvage some $