FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Winter Driving Pet Peeve
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[RANT]Well with all the snow yesterday and more on the way tomorrow I thought it might be good to discuss a winter driving saftey tip. Clean the snow off your car completely. The thing that pisses me off the most are those Facking Morons that don't clean the snow off the roof of their car. Or even worse, barely clean it at all. Sweeping it off just enough to see out the front window. I lost count today while out for a quick run down to Kennedy and Eglinton. I think the cops should start handing out tickets to those lazy a$$ SOB's. Its not only dangerous to the driver of the car but to everyone else on the road.[/RANT]

What are your winter driving pet peeves?
Besides the snow and cold?
Although this may go back to another discussion, yesterday, I was travelling beside a Chevy Aveo, trying to drive along the snow covered roads, note, she didn't have snow tires and was barely moving in a straight line. Then a little further on, a Saturn 3000 got stuck at a corner, also no snow tires. Either GM can't make cars that are any good in winter, or people should have snow tires. B)
related to your post, but a little harder to do, is the truck drivers on the highways with sheets of snow and ice that like to fly off...for that reason I stay away from them on the highway but I've seen numerous cars get smucked by a huge sheet of ice and smash their windshields..although even if you stay away. the blowing snow from the roof is crazy, makes it very hard to see ahead
I don't like when cars drive alongside each other. Road conditions are unpredictable and traction can be lost at any time, a little black ice and one tire starts to spin more is all it takes to send vehicles in a spin. I drive a Chevy Express 2500 and can control it, but still find myself compensating for it losing grip (tires are only a year old) and having to worry about having someone deciding to drive next to me. Just my two cents.
fatphocus,Dec 20 2008, 06:50 PM Wrote:related to your post, but a little harder to do, is the truck drivers on the highways with sheets of snow and ice that like to fly off...for that reason I stay away from them on the highway but I've seen numerous cars get smucked by a huge sheet of ice and smash their windshields..although even if you stay away. the blowing snow from the roof is crazy, makes it very hard to see ahead
[right][snapback]278587[/snapback][/right]

I know what you mean man. I have always been scared of being caught up in the fall out.
My pet peeve is when the beer store is closed.
meford4u,Dec 20 2008, 11:32 PM Wrote:My pet peeve is when the beer store is closed.
[right][snapback]278598[/snapback][/right]
That's one of your pet peeves all year 'round, not just the winter :P
My driving pet peeve are the idiots who ride your arse while you're taking it easy on the snow covered roads and meanwhile these rocket scientists think that by humping your trunk, you'll go faster while they refuse to pass you on the open lane on the left.

NefCanuck

Daniel, thats whay the good ole Brake Check is for. :yikes:
well in sask. if you dont brush your car off you get a $120 or $150, i forgrt but its one of those #'s
oldeguy,Dec 20 2008, 10:41 PM Wrote:
meford4u,Dec 20 2008, 11:32 PM Wrote:My pet peeve is when the beer store is closed.
[right][snapback]278598[/snapback][/right]
That's one of your pet peeves all year 'round, not just the winter :P
[right][snapback]278599[/snapback][/right]
Hate it more when I am laid off and have $$$
NefCanuck,Dec 21 2008, 05:54 AM Wrote:My driving pet peeve are the idiots who ride your arse while you're taking it easy on the snow covered roads and meanwhile these rocket scientists think that by humping your trunk, you'll go faster while they refuse to pass you on the open lane on the left.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]278602[/snapback][/right]

i hate this with a passion biggest pet peeve ever in winter
Snow on the roof drives me crazy, I don't think it even occurs to most ppl to sweep the roof.
Another pet peeve is folks running without their lights on in the evening. It's becoming so comon place to come up on an a vehicle that's got no tails on. And you highbeam them a couple times, no effect, get ahead of them, turn you lights on/off a few times, nothing. It boggles my mind and it scares me, clearly their focus is not on driving.
Is the fault of auto-sensing light circuits.. I don't know. I do know, if you need your console lights illuminated you might aswell turn the toggle one more click and activate the complete lighting system.
My #1 pet peeve this year is people with no snow tires ... especially the ricers with their lowered '90s Integras (I missed three green lights because of this idiot who couldn't make it through the intersection) ... the other one which I haven't seen mentioned here is people who don't carry sunglasses with them and / or run out of washer fluid. Never fails that on a nice sunny winter day some a$$hat is doing 20kph because he can't see out the windshield or is blinded by the sun on the dirty windshield.
Focus man, Focus.,Dec 20 2008, 05:45 PM Wrote:[RANT]Well with all the snow yesterday and more on the way tomorrow I thought it might be good to discuss a winter driving saftey tip.  Clean the snow off your car completely.  The thing that pisses me off the most are those Facking Morons that don't clean the snow off the roof of their car.  Or even worse, barely clean it at all.  Sweeping it off just enough to see out the front window.  I lost count today while out for a quick run down to Kennedy and Eglinton.  I think the cops should start handing out tickets to those lazy a$$ SOB's.  Its not only dangerous to the driver of the car but to everyone else on the road.[/RANT] 

[right][snapback]278584[/snapback][/right]
In brampton they do ticket you lol.
Focus man, Focus.,Dec 21 2008, 12:29 AM Wrote:Daniel, thats whay the good ole Brake Check is for.  :yikes:
[right][snapback]278604[/snapback][/right]

Like I wanna spend another month and a half without a car after getting rear ended by the idiot behind me who can't stop while I can <_< (God it's funny watchig people on A/S rubber trying to get through the unplowed crap while I'm motoring along :P)

NefCanuck
Focus man, Focus.,Dec 20 2008, 05:45 PM Wrote:[RANT]Well with all the snow yesterday and more on the way tomorrow I thought it might be good to discuss a winter driving saftey tip.  Clean the snow off your car completely.  The thing that pisses me off the most are those Facking Morons that don't clean the snow off the roof of their car.  Or even worse, barely clean it at all.  Sweeping it off just enough to see out the front window.  I lost count today while out for a quick run down to Kennedy and Eglinton.  I think the cops should start handing out tickets to those lazy a$$ SOB's.  Its not only dangerous to the driver of the car but to everyone else on the road.[/RANT] 

[right][snapback]278584[/snapback][/right]

that is one of mine as well the other is being stuck at the bottom of a hill behind a long line of cars only to realise it's some rich moron with his 90g rwd snob mobile with no snow tires that can't make it up the damn hill.

Laterz :)
my biggest pet peeve is people who drive far to fast for the weather conditions and then end up riding ur @$$ like stated above. now im gunna admit, i am guilty on a couple of these offences :o... like running out of washer fluid 2 days ago, running on all seasons and not brushing my roof of lol only cuz i lost my scraper to my brother who stole it a couple days ago.

i also hate the people who are on all season and havent figured out how to drive with them on and just spin every where. in my car, being lowered and on hancock BS all seasons, i have not gotten stuck once. it never fails to see some1 in a mustang and camaro in a timmies parking lot rocking the car in 2 inches of snow trying to get somewhere!
I don't know what I hate more - the people that do 20 KM/H on CLEAR roads, just because there's a little blowing snow (hardly enough to occlude visibility even a bit) or the idiots doing 100+ in an 80 zone because they have... wait for it... snow tires! Go ahead, hit the brakes and come down quick - I double dog dare ya!

Snow tires give you some more traction due to the siping in the tread blocks and the softer, more pliable compound. What they do NOT let you do is defy physics. If that was what I saw locally, I can only imagine what they do down south. :rolleyes:

For the record, the Terra Tracs are performing admirably, even in sub -20C conditions. :) Maybe next winter I'll try a set of their dedicated winter truck tires, even ;)
GFXjamie,Dec 22 2008, 01:05 AM Wrote:...

i also hate the people who are on all season and havent figured out how to drive with them on and just spin every where. in my car, being lowered and on hancock BS all seasons, i have not gotten stuck once. it never fails to see some1 in a mustang and camaro in a timmies parking lot rocking the car in 2 inches of snow trying to get somewhere!
[right][snapback]278639[/snapback][/right]

just to add to this... I don't mind that people have RWD or FWD.. but senselessly spinning your one tire is just retarded.. especially in RWD. Doesn't anyone know the handbrake trick?

I've made it up hills that AWD SUV's in all seasons couldn't make because I was bright enough to figure out a way to get both back wheels moving on my open diffed car.

And of course, the people that don't give you any space. If my car is sliding up avenue road at a 45 degree angle, there's a good chance, my back end may be over the lane's line. I have enough opposite lock to go up the (slightly sideways) up the hill, but c'mon. that doesn't mean you can safely pass me on the right!

** for the record, things are MUCH better with winter tires.
Pages: 1 2