FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Bolt Heads Should Be Phased Out
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After disasembling two Ford Focus engine compartments, I'm going to suggest here as a starting point, that all bolt heads be doubled in depth. Idea This is especially needed on applications where steel bolts are used into aluminum.
I found it strange, at first that the steel on steel exhaust bolts came out with a bit of wiggling, but they didn't break. The four above the catylitic converter.
However, we should take a look at the switch from the old style North American wheel nuts, to the longer wheel nuts used on the Ford Focus as good design.
I have several rounded bolt heads on the Focus that had to be ground off to remove the part, ie: starter bolt #3 (which I still say is unneccessary, you only need two bolts) and those holding on the a/c pump. The ones holding on the support bracket for the exhaust manifold should have been much larger heads.
So what about finding suppliers who can give us replacement bolts with the depth of the head at least twice what is from the manufacturer. Undecided