FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Potential Focus Owner
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
HI Everyone,

I've basically joined to get some feedback from Focus owners while I"m on my quest to purchase a new vehicle this year. I have for sometime been considering the Ford Fiesta, Focus Titanium, Mazda 3 and the GMC Terrain.

You may wonder woah the first 3 sound reasonable but a Terrain! Reason to throw the GMC Terrain in the mix is its fuel economy and its ability to tow. So there are some criteria here and actually fuel economy it at the top of the list.

Currently I tow a Yamaha Grizzly 550 using a Triton aluminium trailer so it is fairly light together, 276lbs + 648lbs. Anyway trailering will only be around 10% of my driving and since I drive 170km round trip Mon-Fri my arrow is pointing towards getting a 2013 Ford Focus Titanium because there are really good deals at the moment.

If anyone can give me their experiences either with actually trailering using this vehicle or even advise as to maybe considering something else that would be fantastic. I currently tow using a Protege 5 and it tows flawless so looking for the same experience and I thought my Mazda was good on gas till I just read the specs on the Focus. I'm using around 45 litres for every 500kms, that is a full tank.

I should mention I am looking at getting a 5 speed but they are hard to find in this model with leather trim, basically 6 speed autos which I can currently pick up for 21K right now, brand new.

Thanks everyone. Tongue
(03-09-2014, 04:59 AM)DMIMAGE Wrote: [ -> ]HI Everyone,

I've basically joined to get some feedback from Focus owners while I"m on my quest to purchase a new vehicle this year. I have for sometime been considering the Ford Fiesta, Focus Titanium, Mazda 3 and the GMC Terrain.

You may wonder woah the first 3 sound reasonable but a Terrain! Reason to throw the GMC Terrain in the mix is its fuel economy and its ability to tow. So there are some criteria here and actually fuel economy it at the top of the list.

Currently I tow a Yamaha Grizzly 550 using a Triton aluminium trailer so it is fairly light together, 276lbs + 648lbs. Anyway trailering will only be around 10% of my driving and since I drive 170km round trip Mon-Fri my arrow is pointing towards getting a 2013 Ford Focus Titanium because there are really good deals at the moment.

If anyone can give me their experiences either with actually trailering using this vehicle or even advise as to maybe considering something else that would be fantastic. I currently tow using a Protege 5 and it tows flawless so looking for the same experience and I thought my Mazda was good on gas till I just read the specs on the Focus. I'm using around 45 litres for every 500kms, that is a full tank.

I should mention I am looking at getting a 5 speed but they are hard to find in this model with leather trim, basically 6 speed autos which I can currently pick up for 21K right now, brand new.

Thanks everyone. Tongue

Welcome to the site. I've towed a utility trailer with virtually every Focus I've owned - often right up to the 1,000 lb limit and I've experienced no ill effects - auto trans or manual. Mind you I always equip my Foci with tranny coolers and larger brakes.

Unfortunately, Ford stopped specifying towing standards for the Focus beginning with the 2008 model year; prior to that the Focus was rated to tow up to 1100 lbs.

Beginning in 2008 and right up through today, the Focus owners manual includes a warning saying you should never tow with the Focus; same story for the Fiesta.

Now having said that it looks like companies like Hidden Hitch make a hitch for later Focus and Fiesta, but I think the issue is implications to the warranty.

Now ... if your plan is to buy a used Focus and you don't care about the new-car warranty, I'd say of all small cars the Focus is one of the best for towing.
(03-09-2014, 04:59 AM)DMIMAGE Wrote: [ -> ]HI Everyone,

I've basically joined to get some feedback from Focus owners while I"m on my quest to purchase a new vehicle this year. I have for sometime been considering the Ford Fiesta,
solar kits, Mazda 3 and the GMC Terrain.

Thanks everyone. Tongue

Have you got the auto you were searching for? Your choice is very interesting so share some more details..
Hi DMIMAGE, I own an 11 month old Focus and what ZTWSquared stated is pretty much the jist of it. I asked for a hitch on mine and the dealer agreed, but when I went to pick it up they removed the charge and said they were told not to as A) unclear how it affects warranty (really Mr. Dealer man? You don't know your own warranties?) and B) the sales manager told me it's a liability issue in that if they put a hitch on and I go tow a trailer, if I take a corner too fast while towing I may flip the car and then the dealer is implicated as partially responsibile. I don't really buy that story but it is what it is. I had a 2004 4dr Civic before this car and I towed ~800lbs with that. I very much doubt the newer Focus isn't capable, however, with the known issues for the automatics it is commonly advised you go for the manual transmission if you want to put that kind of added stress on it. Big Grin Happy shopping!