FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Brake Issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Goodafternoon all. Been awhile since I posted here, but I need some help.

I have had the focus sitting in the garage for about 8 months now because I bought a house and have been preoccupied with new house renovations and such. Anyway, I replaced the rear brakes shoes on the focus last night, Which I've done many times before. After I was done I sat in the car and pumped the brakes with the ignition off and they seemed to build up a lot of pressure. When I took it slowly around the block I was surprised to find very little breaking power and the pedal went basically right to the floor and wouldn't pump up any pressure.

I brought it back into the garage and checked the adjustment and they were fine(ie, shoes rubbing on drum when spinning freely). So I turned on the ignition and pumped the brakes with the drum off and noticed that the pistons were not pushing out at all.

Any ideas? The fluid in the reservoir has stayed the same and there are no signs of leaks that I can see. I have not disturbed any of the lines/pistons so that rules out air in the system. The fact that the pistons don't push out tells me it may be a master cylinder issue and maybe somehow its being bypassed without leaking. Could use some help. Thanks in advance.
Rust build up in the master from contaminated brake fluid can rip the master seals.

Try bleeding all the brakes first, and go from there.