FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: auto to manual
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
has anyone here gone from auto to manual?
thinking about looking for an auto since there seem to be more floating around and then getting a manual from a junker and swaping it in one weekend

im assuming all that's needed is the tranny, clutch pedal, flywheel, shift cables, shift tower, and the tranny sensor right. is all wiring the same for auto to manual?
and the brake reservoir. iv read threads saying you need the ECU and throttle body?

are the axles the same?
Axles are the same.
ECU can go from Auto to Manual but not the other way around...Dodgy
You also need the wiring harness off of the transmission too

Brandon and I are in the middle of doing it and from the info we have gathered it's not that bad but it's not a walk in the park. And different years have different cables and brackets too...
This is a touchy subject. Axles are the same for 99 to 05. 06 and up list different part numbers for auto and 5speed axles. This is coming from ford themselves...i called to confirm cuz i am unsure about my swap. But if you look at the axles they look the same to me.

Ecu can go from auto to manual but not vise versa. So you can tune it. If you buy another scrap yard ecu you need to go to ford amd get it programmed for the pats security system.

So you need flywheel. Clutch. Trans. Clutch master. Wiring...also touchy...not sure if you just need the chunk to the trans or the whole engine wiring harness. Also need pedals. Shifter housing. Shifter. Throttle with tps. Flywheel bolts. Brake fluid resevoir that has a line to the clutch master...and i think thats it. Oh clutch line to the slave too.
Zetec has a different crank position sensor and throttle body in addition to this. There may be other differences that I am unaware of
Kenny-u-pull had transmissons on for $49.99 this past weekend. should have grabbed one
(04-14-2014, 10:12 PM)drunkinmonkey Wrote: [ -> ]Kenny-u-pull had transmissons on for $49.99 this past weekend. should have grabbed one

Damn! That's when you grab one just to grab one...
I know i'm kicking myself for it. they have sales like that pretty regularly though, so not overly concerned
If your going auto to stick, easier to buy a whole parts car for 3-500$, swap everything you need then scrap the car for 300. That way you can use the manual harness, ecu, keys, etc etc. No cels and no guessing. I've done this swap on contours, Hondas, mustangs, and its definitely 100x easier with a parts car. Hunting for that one part is always the story lol.
Jamie and I are doing the auto to manual swap sometime soon with my sedan. ill take lots of pics and try to get a decent write up on it. for the most part everything is so straight forward it should be a simple swap. however we are tuning the ecu vs using another ecu...that seems to be everyones snag when it comes to the swap is the ecu.
The other snag is going to be emissions for cars with swapped ecu. New obd test records vin from ecu plus photo proof the tech takes. You need some sort of exemption using a different ecu. If you swap ecu and get it reprogrammed it will just get set to factory spec for you car which is incorrect still. Easier to just tune that part in
so sick of emissions crap
Just find someone with a same focus but stock and take both to the shop and run the stock one lol
Have you tried etest yet?? Don't sweat til you fail lol
no I haven't tried an etest yet. still need to grab a battery, that's the only thing holding me back at the moment