FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Subaru Pulls Out Of Wrc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Subaru pulls out of WRC
dec.16.08
Source:leftlanenews

Another day, another automaker leaving a competitive series: Subaru’s parent group, Fuji Heavy Industries, announced today that it will with draw from the FIA World Rally Championship at the end of the 2008 season. Subaru, which to many has become synonymous with world rallying, cited “quick deterioration of the global economy” as its justification for pulling out of the rally circuit.

Subaru, supported by motorsports engineering group Prodrive, had competed for 19 years in the series. The Impreza WRX available to consumers is a direct byproduct of that experience.

The automaker won three manufacturer’s championships and three driver’s championships during its WRC history.

Subaru will continue to support teams that compete in the P-WRC and Group N categories, but it will not run a full-scale WRC effort in 2009.

The automaker’s plans beyond 2009 remain up in the air.

In recent weeks, Suzuki has pulled out of WRC, Porsche has exited the American Le Mans Series, as has Audi and Honda has quit Formula 1
Wow, a lot of manufactures are really cutting back on their spending. Anyone want to start up a Soap Box Derby series? :lol:
when was Audi in F1?
mo_focus,Dec 16 2008, 01:37 PM Wrote:when was Audi in F1?
[right][snapback]278336[/snapback][/right]

Audi left the American Le Mans Series.

Quote:Porsche has exited the American Le Mans Series, as has Audi
Suzuki Is gone To Is Ford still In Woo Hoo Ford Wins by default

Another one bites the dust. Today was the deadline for manufacturers to announce their intentions to race in the FIA World Rally Championship for 2009, and Suzuki saw fit to let its entry expire after just a single year of competition. The Japanese automaker calls the move a countermeasure to "the contraction of the automotive sales caused by recent global economic turmoil." In other words, fewer car sales mean less excess money for racing. Worse, Suzuki says it expects things to stay bad for the foreseeable future, so riding out the storm wasn't a possibility.

Suzuki was just beginning to see some success in WRC, finishing in the top five for the last two races of the season with its SX4 WRC racer. The manufacturer's Swift Cup will remain active in 2009. This move follows rival automaker Honda's announcement that it would be suspending Formula 1 and AMA Roadracing competition, also a result of the global economic downturn. Thanks for the tip, everyone!
Quote:SUBARU WITHDRAWS FROM THE WORLD RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP 
TUESDAY, 16 DECEMBER 2008 10:08

Subaru to withdraw from World Rally Championship

Subaru has announced its decision to withdraw from the 2009 World Rally Championship.

This sudden decision was in response to the widespread economic downturn that is affecting the entire automotive industry, and follows Suzuki’s withdrawal announced yesterday.

After 20 years in the sport, during which time the Prodrive-run Subaru World Rally Team has won six World Rally Championship titles, this is not only sad news for Subaru and the team, but also for millions of rallying fans around the world.  Thanks to its highly successful World Rally Championship programme, Subaru has developed into one of the world’s most widely recognised and evocative automotive brands. 

Prodrive chairman, David Richards, said: “Subaru’s departure from the World Rally Championship is a great loss as it is one of the sport’s icons. The Subaru World Rally Team has created true champions such as Colin McRae and Richard Burns and its absence will be felt by many the world over.  Although this decision closes a significant chapter in Prodrive’s history, our focus now turns to the future.”

For many, Prodrive and Subaru are synonymous, given the long-standing and close association between the two companies.  However, while the Subaru World Rally Team historically represented a significant part of Prodrive’s business, today it accounts for no more than 20 per cent of the company’s turnover.

Prodrive will look to redeploy as many of the rally team as possible in other areas of its business operations, which have grown to span advanced engineering and manufacturing for the automotive, defence, marine and aerospace industries, in addition to other motorsport programmes.

Despite the current economic downturn, Prodrive’s automotive engineering business remains buoyant as it works with vehicle manufacturers to accelerate the development of next generation fuel-efficient vehicles and alternative fuel technologies.

Together with Subaru, Prodrive’s commitment to its customer rally teams will also continue unabated for 2009 and beyond.  Over the past 15 years, Prodrive has sold close to 500 rally cars to more than 400 private competitors and independent rally teams in 47 countries.  During this time, Prodrive’s customers have won five consecutive Production World Rally Championships and countless international rallies. In 2008, Prodrive-supported customer teams have claimed eight rally championship titles around the world.

Looking ahead, 2010 will see the introduction of new World Rally Championship technical regulations, which provide Prodrive with an opportunity to prepare for re-entering the championship with a new team and build on its 24 years of World Rally Championship experience and success.

From Ben Sayer, Prodrive

f***. And so ends a great era in WRC racing.

OTOH, Ford is still in it.
On the bright side....
Could we actually see the collapse of Nascar?

Discuss...
Im sure Subaru will be back eventually. I doubt they will be the only auto manufacturer to cut back spending in these kind of events.
ANTHONYD,Dec 17 2008, 11:30 AM Wrote:On the bright side....

Discuss...
[right][snapback]278383[/snapback][/right]
I do think they're going to have issues as well. I recall hearing sponsorship problems, as well as tracks that just don't get the number of guests they're looking for, lots of empty seats.

Though I don't think NASCAR will collapse, but perhaps it wont be on 23 hours of the day anymore.

I wonder what the racing season will be like next year. SEAT pulled out of the BTCC at the end of the season, so I'm not sure who's going to be the competitive team to run along side Vauxhall.

Could be a very boring racing season.
ANTHONYD,Dec 17 2008, 10:30 AM Wrote:On the bright side....

Discuss...

Okay, I'm going to admit to my "inner redneck" here and say that I do follow NASCAR and will offer the following observations:

1) The contraction is already starting in terms of number of teams, with smaller teams such as Chip Ganassi & DEI combining operations in an effort to stay alive as sponsorship dollars dissapear, in fact there is a real possibility at some events in '09 of there not even being a 43 car field.

2) The NASCAR Direct TV Hot Pass has been discontinued for 2009, meaning that the extra channels with in car driver cameras is gone.

3) There are rumours (and have been for some time actually) that either of Chrysler or even GM is considering scaling back (or in the case of Chrysler eliminating, again) their participation in NASCAR.

This is something NASCAR fears mightily as it has become apparent that the Toyotas are this close to actually making a championship run and if they win it would allienate their southern fanbase (and no matter how much NASCAR wants to deny it, the Southern US has been a rock of support as everyone else is leaving the ship)

Fun times for the good 'ol boys :unsure:

NefCanuck
*uck NASCAR .......... hopefully it dies. Shocked about the WRC though - really disappointing that both Suzuki and Subaru pulling out ... Suzuki was starting to see some half decent results near the end of the yr. I wonder where Solberg is going to end up ??
NefCanuck,Dec 18 2008, 02:18 AM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Dec 17 2008, 10:30 AM Wrote:On the bright side....

Discuss...

Okay, I'm going to admit to my "inner redneck" here and say that I do follow NASCAR and will offer the following observations:

1) The contraction is already starting in terms of number of teams, with smaller teams such as Chip Ganassi & DEI combining operations in an effort to stay alive as sponsorship dollars dissapear, in fact there is a real possibility at some events in '09 of there not even being a 43 car field.

2) The NASCAR Direct TV Hot Pass has been discontinued for 2009, meaning that the extra channels with in car driver cameras is gone.

3) There are rumours (and have been for some time actually) that either of Chrysler or even GM is considering scaling back (or in the case of Chrysler eliminating, again) their participation in NASCAR.

This is something NASCAR fears mightily as it has become apparent that the Toyotas are this close to actually making a championship run and if they win it would allienate their southern fanbase (and no matter how much NASCAR wants to deny it, the Southern US has been a rock of support as everyone else is leaving the ship)

Fun times for the good 'ol boys :unsure:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]278390[/snapback][/right]

I don't "really" have a problem with Nascar racing as much as I do with the coverage. Listening to those commentaters drives me up the wall and then there's the cry baby drivers!! Sorry but it's the WWE of racing. I think the winners are actually planned before hand!
1st time I hear this! I gotta say I'm dissapointed Subaru left WRC, they've always been my favorite in those competitions, especially when both of your parents drive subarus :D