FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Cleaning Off Water Repellent Off Your Windshield
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is the best/cheapest/least hazardous substance that one can use to clean off old water repellent off a windshield?

I bought these top notch wipers that came with some sealed soaks of water repellent, which I've used and they've worked great for few months but now it seems most of the stuff has worn out and whatever is left attracting more dirt then ever before. Obviously it needs to be completely removed with something else. Would rubbing alcohol do the trick in this case or are there specialized fluids one can use here?

I'd love to re-apply more water repellent stuff because it works great but the old stuff needs to be completely gone first.

Any ideas?
hanserus,Dec 16 2008, 12:14 PM Wrote:What is the best/cheapest/least hazardous substance that one can use to clean off old water repellent off a windshield?

I bought these top notch wipers that came with some sealed soaks of water repellent, which I've used and they've worked great for few months but now it seems most of the stuff has worn out and whatever is left attracting more dirt then ever before. Obviously it needs to be completely removed with something else. Would rubbing alcohol do the trick in this case or are there specialized fluids one can use here?

I'd love to re-apply more water repellent stuff because it works great but the old stuff needs to be completely gone first.

Any ideas?
[right][snapback]278322[/snapback][/right]
I've heard that a product like Bon Ami is excellent for getting dirt and grime completely off the windshield, but you don't want to get much of it on your paint.

Apparently a BMW Service Bulletin names Bon Ami as the solution for noisy wipers and tt's also supposed to be not harmful to the environment.

BMW Service info names Bon Ami

Use Purel, as wierd as it is, it works even takes adhesive off of paint. Then use Rain X on the Window and if your wiper blades are dried out (gittering accross the window) then use a tire shine and rub that on the rubber blade. You just have to clean you window once more from all of the silicone that transfer.
I heard Coca-Cola works, although a little sticky.

Rain-X or somebody does make a glass stripper too. I've seen it at CTC.
you sure it's not the wipers ? I know after a few months they start to loose their orginal appeal.

I know know that with rainX you use the product to clean the windshield then apply it in another coating or two.
I know that with RainX and RainAway you normally have to reapply every month or two to get the same original results.

The problem I have had with these products is that, although they make the windshield very slippery for water, they make the rubber on the wipers very grippy and the wipers begin to chatter across the windshield. (very annoying!)

Ten months ago I installed the new generation "Reflex" wiper which came with a packet of rain repellent wipes. This wipes performed similar to RainX but without the annoying wiper chatter and only now after ten months have water repellent properties started to wear away.

I am not sure if I should try RainX again and risk wiper chatter or buy a new wiper with their effective wipes...
I'm in love with "Invisible Glass" glass cleaner, it's fantastic. I use that with rainX and Michelin Hydroedge wipers ($13 at costco and just as good as reflex, if not better, IMO).

Never had a problem with "excess dirt" or wiper chatter. That said, I'm anal about keeping my windows clean and I replace my wipers at least once a year.

-George
OK, so thus far we have the following:

1. Bon Ami
2. Purell
3. Coca-Cola
4. RainX
5. RainAway
6. Invisible Glass

What should be my #1 choice here, guys?
I was at CTC tonight. They carry (right with the RainX) a product called No Touch Glass Stripper. It should get everything off, and give you a great base to reapply RainX/RainAway/Aquapel.

Invisible Glass is just a cleaner, won't remove the old stuff. A damn good cleaner, but just a glass cleaner. I personally use Eagle One 20/20 on the recommendation of a detailer friend of mine. It has some of the properties of RainX, so it helps with beading.

My plan of attack would be:

1) Glass stripper
2) Good cleaner (Invisible Glass)
3) RainX/RainAway/Aquapel
4) New wiper blades without coating (Michelin Hydroedge, Trico Innovision, Bosch Microedge)

Ryan
Thanks for the good post Mr.Reldridge. Off I go to take care of it!