FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Shifter Wont Work...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Driving home yesterday, all of a sudden while slowing down I lost all my gears, the shifter is like a joystick and will move all over the place..checked underneath the shifter/console and everything looks good, any ideas??
fatphocus,Dec 15 2008, 11:15 PM Wrote:Driving home yesterday, all of a sudden while slowing down I lost all my gears, the shifter is like a joystick and will move all over the place..checked underneath the shifter/console and everything looks good, any ideas??
[right][snapback]278275[/snapback][/right]

let me guess, you have a B&M short shifter???? if yes then its broken. You need a new one.
hmm..how did you know? and why, I dont understand? How/what is broken? Appreciate all info, thanks
got over 5 years of hard abuse out of my b&M
the shifter looks fine, removed the boot and everything was intact and looked to be perfectly fine, still moves the cables at the transmission...
Well if your shifter/shifter cables are good then that means a new tranny for you buddy. I had this problem in Windsor, your "gear selector" box has gone bye bye. So you have a few options. You can get a junk yard MTX-75 and do a direct swap with new seals and even a clutch slave cylinder (wouldnt be a bad idea). Or you can pull the tranny and get it re-built with the gear selector box. I also have all the tools needed to do this swap and could help you out if your a DIY kinda guy. If not a shop would probably charge around $500 for the swap, I dont know how much on the rebuild.

My best advice to you is find a junk yard tranny and swap it. I picked one up in London for $200 put in a new clutch slave cylinder ($100) and new seals ($20) and did all the labour myself. So $320 to do a swap and have a running car again ain't to bad. I'm also located in Burlington and I'm usually out Hamilton way quiet a bit, so PM me if you need a hand.
Burnin21,Dec 16 2008, 12:29 AM Wrote:Well if your shifter/shifter cables are good then that means a new tranny for you buddy. I had this problem in Windsor, your "gear selector" box has gone bye bye. So you have a few options. You can get a junk yard MTX-75 and do a direct swap with new seals and even a clutch slave cylinder (wouldnt be a bad idea). Or you can pull the tranny and get it re-built with the gear selector box. I also have all the tools needed to do this swap and could help you out if your a DIY kinda guy. If not a shop would probably charge around $500 for the swap, I dont know how much on the rebuild.

My best advice to you is find a junk yard tranny and swap it. I picked one up in London for $200 put in a new clutch slave cylinder ($100) and new seals ($20) and did all the labour myself. So $320 to do a swap and have a running car again ain't to bad. I'm also located in Burlington and I'm usually out Hamilton way quiet a bit, so PM me if you need a hand.
[right][snapback]278294[/snapback][/right]

well my tranny is basically brand new, 2000km on it..so I hope not..but another member on the Jet' said he had the same problem, and its the shifter, apparently theres a tab at the bottom that breaks and the end result is my problem, and its only viewable if you take the shifter off like I was replacing it...im going to do this tomorrow and *hopefully* thats all it is, ill update asap once i know.
It's no big thing.

The end of your shift cable is probably broken , the one that attached to the transmission.
There's is 2 of them , can't remember if they were the same but here's what is looks like:

[Image: 121320.jpg]

[Image: 121321.jpg]

[Image: 121322.jpg]

MPCV hit the nail on the head Check that first Ive done it a few times If the orange piece Is still there then You have a broken Tranny.
got the shifter out and checked it out, looks fine to me, nothing looks broken..will check the other things
we just told you what to check that piece is not part of the shifter it is at the end of the cable in the engine bay. and just to critise your cardomain page #3 You didn't Win those awards or have the sponsorships you have posted So I don't really think its fair you post them as your own.
I didnt say they are my own, it specifically says the car HAS won those awards and HAS had those sponserships, it's not wrong to post stuff that its received in the past, I would never claim that stuff as my own. Also, I appreciate your opinion but everyone has different ideas to what it is, and I've been in contact with Terry Haines who said 99% its the bolt. The car is being moved tonight and the shift tower will be removed if everything looks good from the outside (cables, etc) and if thats the problem, its getting sent to his shop to be fixed. ATM, I cant check anything as the car is sitting outside, it's being moved to a garage in a couple hours. The best scenario would be yeah, a cable broke or something. But signs are pointing to a broken tower bolt, which sucks, but it will be fixed properly this time around.
let me knowhow things work out with Terry I've spoke with him about building me a tranny but he wants me to buy the quaif box for $6000 and I told him he was crazy and I would rather a lentech for that price.

As for the car domain I dunno Its just something I persoanlly wouldn't do like the pics of the car even before you owned it. Sorry but you didn't build it.
OK so it was finally nice enough to get out and work on the car more, and I found out my problem!! Take a guess at what you think it was, but I highly doubt anyone will guess the exact thing that happened..
Throwout bearing went?
Nope
Ok heres the deal- believe it or not, it was the shift tower bolt- BUT,not exactly what you're thinking...it wasnt broken or sheared--IT FELL OUT! Seems when my tranny was put together 2500km ago the shop never used locktite on any of the threads of anything, and somehow it unscrewed itself and fell in the tranny. Only problem now is that I fished around for it for over 3 hours with a magnet thing, with no luck. Even had it through the drain plug hole curved around the edges and my hand in there also, no luck again. Who knows where it is, but it doesnt want to come out lol