FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Need Advise On Traffic Tickets
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Need some advise here, 3pm in the afternoon, no speeding, no drinking nothing danger.

Stopped by cop because it said I did not "completely stop" at stop sign - I did stop even it may not be 3 sec

Now the interesting part is I got 3 ticket,
1. stop sign
2. no signature on owership - I don't know why I didn't sign it 5yrs ago.
3. I didn't have the sticker at the back of the ownership - I have up to date sticker on the lic plate.

when he hand me the ticket he said exactly this - make sure you go to court, since you have good driving record I will have them to drop all the charge.

Never go to court before, so questions
My understanding is the first thing they ask is guilty or not, right? Not guilty on stop sign, fine. but what about the 2nd and 3rd one? I can't really argue those because no signature mean no signature.

What should I do?
You most likely wont see the officer in court. If he isn't there the charges will be dropped. If he is there, he will have the charges removed from the record and you most likely wont even have to say anything. But be prepared with all documents just in case. Contact the MTO for the info regarding the sticker on your ownership. Sign your ownership. Also, don't worry about the rolling stop. That is the one you won't have to really concern yourself with at the moment.

I had a driving under suspension(medical reason), and no proof of insurance. I forgot about court, Big Ooops. The cop didn't show up and all charges were dropped even though I wasn't there either. No worries. Didn't even affect my insurance.
Plead not guilty, I think its option # 1.

The cop told you to go, so go. Sounds like this cop is a nice guy, and he will show up. This is exactly what happened to me when I got charged with Careless driving with eric (focusonthis88) in the car...He didnt give me any tickets though, just a notice to appear in court to face a Careless Driving charge. Told me to show to court and to look for him and he would arrange for him and I to talk to the crown together. Long Story short, the officer, the crown and I, agreed to me pleading guilty to the lesser charge of 29km/hr over the speed limit.

So...for you....plead not guilty, and show up very early to see if the officer shows up. If he does, show him the tickets and remind him about what he told you. If he doesn't, you need to ask for 15 minutes of the crown's time to explain your situation (why your pleading not guilty). Tell him exactly what the officer said to you, that you have a clean record and would like to workout a deal. If he plays hard ball, tell him you need the officer as a witness then :P Joke. Well....kind of. :lol:

Tell him that after going through all of this process, you've learned your lesson and work out a deal with you pleading guilty to whatever costs less in points. The stop sign one is 3 points, I dont think you will lose any points with the others, so it may be worth your while to plead guilty to the other 2 and not the stop sign one...that can make the crown look good....2 out of 3 aint bad to tell the boss. ;) And your insurance rates will not go up because of 2 minor tickets.
Focus Is Art,Dec 15 2008, 04:27 PM Wrote:Need some advise here, 3pm in the afternoon, no speeding, no drinking nothing danger.

Stopped by cop because it said I did not "completely stop" at stop sign - I did stop even it may not be 3 sec

Now the interesting part is I got 3 ticket,
1. stop sign
2. no signature on owership - I don't know why I didn't sign it 5yrs ago.
3. I didn't have the sticker at the back of the ownership - I have up to date sticker on the lic plate.

when he hand me the ticket he said exactly this - make sure you go to court, since you have good driving record I will have them to drop all the charge.

Never go to court before, so questions
My understanding is the first thing they ask is guilty or not, right?  Not guilty on stop sign, fine.  but what about the 2nd and 3rd one?   I can't really argue those because no signature mean no signature.

What should I do?
[right][snapback]278260[/snapback][/right]
Generally I agree with what the others have said on here ... the only thing I would add is this.

You might be able to have all three charges dropped before it even gets to the point where you're in front of a judge - the cop said he would have all charges dropped.

That means you and the cop (or you alone if need be) should try and see the crown attorney well before the court goes in session - so go 30 to 40 minutes before the court starts and try to see the crown attorney - make sure you have your signed license and properly stickered ownership with you.

If you feel intimidated (nothing wrong with that) then try and see the public duty attorney (free lawyer) who will be at the court ... again well in advance of court time and explain what you're trying to do - there will be a lineup to see the duty lawyer.

The idea is to have the crown attorney agree to drop the charges before the court is even in session ... then when the time comes the crown will simply state to the judge that case # whatever is being dropped. If it goes before a judge chances are you will be stuck with at least one of the charges, and probably the cruising through the stop sign one.

The cop sounds like a good guy, so with a respectful and polite approach, he will probably be a good ally to have when talking to the crown attorney.

Good luck.

EDIT: if for some reason you don't talk to the cop or can't talk to the crown attorney and you end up in front of the judge ... whatever you do, don't admit to anything and simply ask for a remand (come back at a later date) -- being your first time up the judge will always say yes -- and if he asks why simply state that you don't have a lawyer yet. That will give you a few months breathing space and time to get things together.
ZTWsquared,Dec 15 2008, 06:42 PM Wrote:EDIT: if for some reason you don't talk to the cop or can't talk to the crown attorney and you end up in front of the judge ... whatever you do, don't admit to anything and simply ask for a remand (come back at a later date) -- being your first time up the judge will always say yes -- and if he asks why simply state that you don't have a lawyer yet. That will give you a few months breathing space and time to get things together.
[right][snapback]278271[/snapback][/right]

forgot that part, they will give you more time to get ready for sure. Them giving you disclosure (if you ask for it) probably takes longer than the 15 days you have to respond to the tickets...

Oh, and dress nice, I went in a suit :)
Great suggestions guys except for the suit they make fun of pple like you But dress nice buisness casual. My prediction you will get the stop sign points dropped with a fine and the other 2 tickets will be either dropped completly or a small fine.
Wow, you guys are great. I will let you guys know how it go, wish me good luck.
ZX3_2NV,Dec 16 2008, 11:34 AM Wrote:Great suggestions guys except for the suit they make fun of pple like you [right][snapback]278312[/snapback][/right]

your wearing the wrong suits then ;)
X2 for the suit.....i think its a good idea......shows that your serious.
when i went in for my first and only ticket i was wearing one....and actually laughed at clowns who was wearing all thugged out and running shoes
Trust me unless your a lawer or representing someone they know your wearing a suit just because you want to put on a show. My g/f worked in a traffic ticket lawyers office for a bit before she moved to a big firm and I remember the stroies they were telling If your going to wear a suit just don't go overboard and look natural