FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 01 zx3 daily driver
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
figured i would post a worklog of the new daily driver before it spirals into another project.
was pretty luck to find this on kijiji when i was searching for something to take over daily driver duties for my recently written off anniversary edition grand prix gtp.

this is how i picked it up and havent done anything but throw in a new battery and the audio was from the gtp and leftover goodies from my track built( always in progress) mazda mx3.

this was the first night i got her.
[Image: focus002_zpsfd6d925e.jpg]

[Image: focus003_zpse25fe683.jpg]

[Image: focus003_zps47d68e60.jpg]

got it plated the following morning. took it for a a good cruise to get a feel for it, exhaust noise was terrible and only 2 inch o.d piping and felt like it was choking out up top.
[Image: focus012_zps7935b057.jpg]

[Image: focus013_zps7b86f344.jpg]

picked up some tires for the eap's and some 4mm spacers for a bit better fit. plan on going 15mm rear and 10mm front eventually.
[Image: focus018_zpscad08b05.jpg]

[Image: focus015_zps36ced10b.jpg]

[Image: focus015_zps9eaee606.jpg]

[Image: focus014_zpsfb23e27b.jpg]

picked up and hks under axle exhaust, not very happy with how loud it is but its currently focussport header catless and straight thru exhaust so i didnt expect it to be quiet. was never really a fan of a slanted can exhaust but i must admit i love the look of it polished up on a clean car. just need to quiet it down a bunch(apparently i'm over loud obnoxious exhaust)

[Image: IMG_20140717_211218_zpsdynldpyn.jpg]

[Image: focus021_zps3c345842.jpg]

loved how light the smoke job on the tails were when i picked it up, but they were extremely faded and dull looking so i decided to attempt wetsanding the vht and seeing if a few coats of clear would bring them back to life. i like how they turned out.

[Image: IMG_20140717_211203_zpslrxm7aw6.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140717_211139_zpsuiysnfpg.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140717_211108_zpsezykbxbd.jpg]

i havent been able to decide what i'd like to do with the headlights.... i'm in love with the hella projectors but they are hard to find an expensive, or build a set of projectors myself. For now i just did a quick wetsand and plastidipped my plate cover and lower grille mesh while removing my rotted out fog lights.

[Image: IMG_20140717_211054_zpsjshlvq4l.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140717_211043_zpsjwtzphg8.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140717_211032_zpszsy42exq.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140717_211022_zpszzx8vocg.jpg]

tried to lower it but found both rear coil sleeves on the old fk's are seized solid so i'm saving my change for a new sets of coilovers, i also need to do a timing belt and water pump before i do anything to the motor.

current list of things that are already being saved and planned for are
1. timing belt and water pump
2. replace coilovers with a fresh set.
3. slam and spacers.
4. get motivated to yank interior panels and replace rear speakers with a fresh pair of 6x8's and a set of 6.5 components amplified in the front doors.
5. install innovate wideband in cluster bezel.
6. get a dyno tune on the x4 programmer.
7. knock out dents and dings/ partial respray
8. find a rs spoiler.
9. replace all suspension bushings with energy suspension components.
10. new hood(maybe cf)

maybe boost one day.

tomorrow i'll get some interior pics.
If you are looking for a set of hella dual projectors I have a set id be willing to part with . Cars coming along nicely though!
good to see this car back on the site!! little piece of history on here. was actually this car that made me purchase my RS front end.

cars coming along nicely so far, keep it up
pm me. i'm not in a rush but i found an old forum pic from when mine had them and they just look proper.
Couple trunk shots.....everything was installed "temporarily" until i could come up with a better setup. That was 2 months ago lol

[Image: IMG_20140728_175028_zpsuifuygzt.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140728_175034_zpspy1junsq.jpg]

Finally decided to go with a set of anzo projectors. Excited to get rid of my tired stocks.
[Image: 02-AZ-FU00-PBC-R-G2.jpg]
I need a little bit of guidance, so currently my car I believe does not have functioning drl's but what I found weird was the other night when I was on a dark road I tried using my high beams and when I engage high beams all my headlights turn off.....no high beams or low beams. when I turn the high beams off I have low beams.

so yesterday I received my anzo's and decided to plug them in....... if you look in the picture above my low beams run but in the inner "high beam" and still my high beams do not work. where should I even start lol.....low beams should be the projector correct? I will be picking up hid's for the low beams but not until I figure out this screwed up wiring
check the relays and fuses under the hood. start there for sure.. or trace back the headlight wiring and see if there is any splicing
and yes the projector is your low beam
Ok so tried again to install the anzo's today and its becoming a nightmare.

Checked all the fuses and relays underhood and everything appears to be working properly. I have trouble getting my thoughts onto paper but i'll try my best.
So this morning i came out And removed the stockers. Plugged the anzo's in and installef withoyt bolting in. Turned the key to run and turned my lights on and the anzo's highbeams came to life.

Turn on high beams and nothing....no low beams. No high beams.
I can hear the relays click when i turn the high beams on. When the high beams are on there are no power to high or low beams fuses underhood.

When just the low beams are on there is power at the low beams fuses. There is power at the Headlight plugs... i am lost
so the low beams and high beams were pinned wrong on the anzo's so now my low beams work properly. high beams I still can't figure out why they won't work.
I think part of the reason halo's burn out so fast is because they don't require anywhere near 12volts and that's why they burn out premature. want to run maybe 5 volts or less and see if that helps the life. i'll be wiring them to my park lights so I can run the halos without headlights on.
also want to mod the headlights so low beams stay on when I use the high beams. lots of back country driving at night so the more light the better.
when I had the halos in my car they didn't last long at all (maybe a month) as for the high beams im still not sure. same thing is happening on my buddies car. ill see if he's fixed this issue yet, and if has, how he did it
I think they will last a lot longer if knock the voltage down a bit. they don't need much power

high beams have me stumped tho.
ya my buddy still hasn't figured out his issue either.
So its all figured out. The relays for high beam, drl and a/c were bad. They all clicked and felt like they were switching but i decided to put new ones in to eliminate that as a cause and everything came to life. Even my cruise control now works. So its turned into a great weekend all considered.

The low beam projectors do have hot spots and need to be aligned no doubt, but they are definetly brighter to me.... i also did the mods for low beams staying on and on dark country roads i navigate they are awesome. Any brighter and i'd see the future. That being said i still need to install low beam 6 or 8k. Hids and my micro de fog lights. So should be sweet.

Now time to put a paycheck away for a trip to da silva for a proper tune. Must admit i'm itching for some boost. The trans isn't geared for n/a fun and boost would really bring this car to life.
Buy my mount, clutch, and svt parts.
glad everything got sorted out. ill have to let my buddy know what you did to resolve the issue, and get him to try that.
ya man. for the cost just replace the relays and see what happens. its worth a shot anyways.
UPDATED PICS.

[Image: IMG_20140812_142225_zpsoxb2wgrc.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140812_142217_zpsboz5305g.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140811_205401_zpse97pp8ih.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140811_200654_zpsxbectblf.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140811_200645_zps9ef4tb8e.jpg]
I think those lights suit the car very well .
thanks man. I must agree I'm pretty happy
lights look good. did you figure out the halos on what you are going to do to wire them up?
Pages: 1 2 3