FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Emssions...when Does It Stop? Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hey guys i got an 89 tempo winter beater and i was just wondering if there is a certain age of a car where you dont have to get emissions done...if anyone knows that would be great

Thanks
Sean
20 years old or older, the car will be come exempt from the required Ontario emmission tests.

so as of next year your 1989 Tempo will be exempt, not to mention classed as vintage, and classic after 25 years of age.
Frost__2001,Dec 14 2008, 12:24 PM Wrote:classic after 25 years of age.
[right][snapback]278206[/snapback][/right]

A Tempo as a Classic. That will be the day. :rofl:
Frost__2001,Dec 14 2008, 01:24 PM Wrote:20 years old or older, the car will be come exempt from the required Ontario emmission tests.

so as of next year your 1989 Tempo will be exempt, not to mention classed as vintage, and classic after 25 years of age.
^^ what he said ... but it all depends on how the government interprets its own regulations ... the language is that all cars must be inspected if they are "more than 3 model years old and less than 20 model years old" - which means your car, according to that language, would be exempt, being that it is 20 model years old now.

However (always a but) if you look at their schedule ... it looks like in the calendar year 2008 they expect odd number model years from 2005 - 1989 to be inspected - which means you - at least for the next 2 weeks. Starting January it looks like you should be home free.

Ontario drive clean regs here
ZTWsquared,Dec 14 2008, 07:00 PM Wrote:
Frost__2001,Dec 14 2008, 01:24 PM Wrote:20 years old or older, the car will be come exempt from the required Ontario emmission tests.

^^ what he said ... but it all depends on how the government interprets its own regulations ... the language is that all cars must be inspected if they are "more than 3 model years old and less than 20 model years old" - which means your car, according to that language, would be exempt, being that it is 20 model years old now.

However (always a but) if you look at their schedule ... it looks like in the calendar year 2008 they expect odd number model years from 2005 - 1989 to be inspected - which means you - at least for the next 2 weeks. Starting January it looks like you should be home free.

Ontario drive clean regs here
[right][snapback]278208[/snapback][/right]

so basically i need to get mine e tested since i just bought the car and is under 20 years old...this blows this car is nothing but trouble anyways ...god damn lowered cars
I always found this kinda ridiculous... I mean, a 20 year old car will pollute way more than a new car, but it's the one not getting tested!!!
Wow, I would undertand if it was a set model year because there were specific terms made with the manufacturers to make green cars, but not the other way around.
Have a look in Quebec. We pay more for our yearly ownership of vehicule if the car has a bigger engine than a 3.95L up to a maximum of 150$ more if you have a 5.4L + engine.
I think a 4.2L engine cost 90$ more per year to licence, but this is only applicable to model year 1995+.
Gravter,Dec 14 2008, 03:54 PM Wrote:I always found this kinda ridiculous... I mean, a 20 year old car will pollute way more than a new car, but it's the one not getting tested!!!
Wow, I would undertand if it was a set model year because there were specific terms made with the manufacturers to make green cars, but not the other way around.
Have a look in Quebec. We pay more for our yearly ownership of vehicule if the car has a bigger engine than a 3.95L up to a maximum of 150$ more if you have a 5.4L + engine.
I think a 4.2L engine cost 90$ more per year to licence, but this is only applicable to model year 1995+.
[right][snapback]278220[/snapback][/right]

well when I was in BC back in 2004, cars 15 years and older have to be tested for their drive clean program, and they have to be 100% stock or near to the Manufactures emmissions standards from that time, going back to when the Emmissions laws came into effect. not to mention any car 15 years or older are also required to meet the updated safety requirements, so for example if the car had no seat belts, it would be reqiured to have them installed.
Gravter,Dec 14 2008, 07:54 PM Wrote:I always found this kinda ridiculous... I mean, a 20 year old car will pollute way more than a new car, but it's the one not getting tested!!!
[right][snapback]278220[/snapback][/right]

Emission has nothting to do with polution, its got to do with how much gov. can grab you for a bs charge. Cash grab!

I think they sort of fiqured since there is so much salt in ontario, car's would not last more then 20 yrs and if they do then they must be classics :)
mo_focus,Dec 14 2008, 07:32 PM Wrote:I think they sort of fiqured since there is so much salt in ontario, car's would not last more then 20 yrs and if they do then they must be classics :)
[right][snapback]278229[/snapback][/right]

No kidding!!!
Each time i come back from Ontario, I make a stop a my local car wash just to remove it all!!! LoL.
fake e-tests FTW!!
you guys sure? I have to get my 88 bmw tested.

They changed the laws around last year.
Can't fake them they are regulated but you can run them as a test ;) . Also I can't recall the amount but if your car is going to cost you say $700 in parts and I think once it goes past $350 maybe(just pulling this outta air) you are automatically passed with out have to pay for the rest ( $700 - $350 = $350 PARTS ONLY) Labour they can stick it to ya lol.
Also sry to change the sub for a sec but I found out that right hand drive cars here in Ontario are not road legal unless they have a sticker that says this car is Right-hand Drive on the back of it and not the same color as the car too lol. Ministries website search it up.
Scorcher000,Dec 15 2008, 06:36 PM Wrote:Can't fake them
[right][snapback]278270[/snapback][/right]

20 bucks says you can.
Scorcher000,Dec 15 2008, 05:36 PM Wrote:Can't fake them they are regulated but you can run them as a test ;) . Also I can't recall the amount but if your car is going to cost you say $700 in parts and I think once it goes past $350 maybe(just pulling this outta air) you are automatically passed with out have to pay for the rest ( $700 - $350 = $350 PARTS ONLY) Labour they can stick it to ya lol.

yes you can

Also sry to change the sub for a sec but I found out that right hand drive cars here in Ontario are not road legal unless they have a sticker that says this car is Right-hand Drive on the back of it and not the same color as the car too lol. Ministries website search it up.
[right][snapback]278270[/snapback][/right]

and yes they do
Flofocus,Dec 15 2008, 06:03 PM Wrote:you guys sure? I have to get my 88 bmw tested.

[right][snapback]278268[/snapback][/right]

Correct. They switched it up a bit. No more rolling 20 year rule. As of 2007 all cars 1988 and newer will always* require an emissions test every other year. So anything 1987 and earlier is home free. It has also been changed for new cars, a new vehicle will not require an emission test until it has reached 5 years old.

*Until they change their minds again.

-George
Scourge,Dec 16 2008, 08:38 AM Wrote:
Flofocus,Dec 15 2008, 06:03 PM Wrote:you guys sure? I have to get my 88 bmw tested.

[right][snapback]278268[/snapback][/right]

Correct. They switched it up a bit. No more rolling 20 year rule. As of 2007 all cars 1988 and newer will always* require an emissions test every other year. So anything 1987 and earlier is home free. It has also been changed for new cars, a new vehicle will not require an emission test until it has reached 5 years old.

*Until they change their minds again.

-George
[right][snapback]278298[/snapback][/right]

Thats what I thought.
makes sence because even some 1987 from factory might not pas todays emissons so What I have to say about that is 1980's supercharged stang ftw
AWD & idle etest only FTW.
Flofocus,Dec 16 2008, 11:57 AM Wrote:AWD & idle etest only FTW.
[right][snapback]278327[/snapback][/right]

Is that for all AWD cars or only those that are "true" AWD with full time connections? :huh:

NefCanuck
Nef Im sure you can get away with saying its awd. Trust me here is my story Yaa its a focus I swapped in the "euro AWD tranny" Emissions Tech Ohh cool Ill do an idle Test. Or you can pull out the springs lmao and it will be to low to go up the ramp so idle test it is. A few of my buddies with coilovers did that trick. Drove to crappy tire jacked it up dumped the suspesnion 4 inches and drove it in very slowly
Pages: 1 2