FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Focus fly-by-wire any good?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wondering how responsive the recent Focus are using fly-by-wire throttle control? All the recent cars I've driven are fly-by-wire, including our Toyota tundra, and there is always a slight hesitation between the peddle and engine response, especially when you tromp it.

That wasn't the case with my old Focus wagon, which was cable to throttle body. I feel much more connected with the old Focus, which I am now thinking of fixing instead of scrapping because of this.
(08-04-2014, 05:23 AM)DadsToy Wrote: [ -> ]Just wondering how responsive the recent Focus are using fly-by-wire throttle control? All the recent cars I've driven are fly-by-wire, including our Toyota tundra, and there is always a slight hesitation between the peddle and engine response, especially when you tromp it.

That wasn't the case with my old Focus wagon, which was cable to throttle body. I feel much more connected with the old Focus, which I am now thinking of fixing instead of scrapping because of this.

Best you take one for a drive and see for yourself. I rented a 2013 Focus last year and the response seemed decent enough - when I got back into my own car (even with the supercharger) I don't recall thinking that the FBW of the 13 was bad by comparison - didn't really register on me at all.
I had a 07 Matrix for a short time with drive by wire, and it sucked. Just a lack of control over what you want the car to do vs what it actually did throttle wise. Really only an issue when driving aggressive, I did find a boosted SVT at that time so I dumped the matrix. Now I have a '12 VW GLI again drive by wire and its quite responsive, I don't have many complaints. I imagine the new ford system is going to be on par with this. But like Ken said, drive one to know for sure.
(08-04-2014, 10:41 PM)hardk0re Wrote: [ -> ]I had a 07 Matrix for a short time with drive by wire, and it sucked. Just a lack of control over what you want the car to do vs what it actually did throttle wise. Really only an issue when driving aggressive, I did find a boosted SVT at that time so I dumped the matrix. Now I have a '12 VW GLI again drive by wire and its quite responsive, I don't have many complaints. I imagine the new ford system is going to be on par with this. But like Ken said, drive one to know for sure.

Good to know it's not just me and, yes, it mostly appears when driving aggressively. Our Tundra is an 08 and there is no feel to the pedal and it's jumpy, which probably accounts for all problems Toyota experienced around that time. Also driven recently an '11 Equinox and '13 Malibu, and they're not much better. Throttle response just isn't linear like it is with a cable on the throttle body. And what is going to happen when the potentiometer that the pedal is controlling starts getting dirty or worn?