FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Locksmith to cut ebay key for 2013 Focus Se (GTA)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello All,

So on Focusfanatics multiple people have managed to use keys from this ebay seller

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/360968319964?ssPa...1497.l2649

As you can see the flip key design is amazing and i want it bad...

Most have just used there 2 existing keys to program the chip and have had the key cut locally(only 1 Canadian and he was in Windsor). Problem is i lost my spare key!

I called 4 places so far in Toronto and only 1 said they will cut the key and program but wanted 185 bucks. Seems steep to me.

so anyone have a recommendation about where to get it cut and programmed? thanks!
(11-05-2014, 04:22 AM)redzone321 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello All,

So on Focusfanatics multiple people have managed to use keys from this ebay seller

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/360968319964?ssPa...1497.l2649

As you can see the flip key design is amazing and i want it bad...

Most have just used there 2 existing keys to program the chip and have had the key cut locally(only 1 Canadian and he was in Windsor). Problem is i lost my spare key!

I called 4 places so far in Toronto and only 1 said they will cut the key and program but wanted 185 bucks. Seems steep to me.

so anyone have a recommendation about where to get it cut and programmed? thanks!

I'm in the same boat (just one key) and have received similar quotes.

I recently ran into a sales rep in Erie PA who worked for a key cutting machine company and he had just come back from doing an installation at a CTC store in Brampton - it sounded like their new equipment was also capable of programming chip keys - maybe worth checking out.
I had the same quote years ago when I was looking at getting a spare key made.
My wife is in the same boat with her Nissan Rogue. The dealership we bought it from gave us a business card for a locksmith that could do it, but his price was pretty similar to what you were quoted. Seems like that's the going rate these days.
Interesting - just got off the phone:

Right Choice Locksmith Brampton
55.00 service call, plus 150 for key and programming.

Planet Ford - Brampton
Key and cutting: 45.95
Programming: 52.50

Also important to note that when a Ford dealer does it, the new key becomes a distinct "second" key and not simply a clone of the first. That means you can then program a 3rd and 4th key yourself.

Booked an appointment with Planet Ford - I figure $100 is as good as it gets for a unique second key.
thanks for the info will definitly look into that planet ford place! let me know how yours goes.
called planet ford key was 170 cutting . programing 60.

They said they would cut the ebay key and program it for 60 though if i bring it in!. Once i have the ebay key in my position im making an appointment. ill let you know how it goes in 2-3 weeks time.
So I now have my second PATS key and as it turns out, a lot less expensive than I originally thought; here's how it worked.

I bought a Stratec brand PATS key on ebay for 11.95 - free shipping to my PO box in Lewiston NY.

I had the key cut at Canadian Tire in Georgetown - they have the new automatic key cutting machine that can also clone a PATS key. I asked that they not program the chip, but just cut the metal part of the key. It took them a while how to figure out how to do that (hitting the "skip" button about 6 times does the trick) - and the bonus here is that because it was my key, and because they wouldn't warranty the cut, they didn't charge me to do it - yep, a free key cut.

Took my cut key to Planet Ford and they programmed it for 52.50 + HST. It took them almost an hour to do it - and after a non-start scare, it all worked out.

Note: at the advice of the service manager I used my SCT Xcal3 to reflash the car back to stock. Once the tech programmed the new key, neither of them would turn the car over - we all started getting nervous because they couldn't explain it. So just to do something I reflashed the car again with my SC tune - and sure enough both keys now worked.

At this point, I'm not sure I would recommend putting the car back to stock or not (if your car has aftermarket tune) and no one at the dealership could tell me if it was necessary or not.

At the end of the day, I got a second distinct PATS key for less than $80