FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 2005 Ford Freestyle Recall
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Begining of rant!!!!!!

First off here is the actualy recall
http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/Recalls/rec...model=FREESTYLE

"On certain vehicles, the door latch mechanisms may experience water intrusion that, over time, may wash out grease applied during the manufacturing process. This may allow the latch mechanism to freeze during temperatures significantly below zero degrees Celsius, in combination with a wet environment. As a result, the door latch pawl may not return to the latched position when the door is closed, allowing the door to open while the vehicle is in motion. Correction: Dealers will: 1) install a shield over the front latches; 2) seal a drain hole in the rear window trim moulding on Freestyle rear side doors; and 3) apply grease to all front and rear side-door latch mechanisms"

Sorry for bringing this to focus board, but f***ing Ford POS is pissing me off.

My wife is the driver for the freestyle and she could have been dead today!Luckily the door didnt close before she drove off so she just cancelled the doctors appoiontment and stayed home. Its cold outisde so i guess its the same stupid latching issue from the recall. The recall is for repairing the latch and lubricating.

So i called Canadian Ford customer service about the issue and asked them who did this recall. All she is telling me is the fact it was lubricated back in 06 so its probably over the warranty period. WTF!!!! its a f***ing recall!!!

All she did was to repeat the same stupid line again and again! "sir, it was lubricated back in 2006 and warranty is over" since when a recall is part of warranty. Recall is for the safety of the passengers in the vehicle hence why its a recall and not warranty. Am i missing something here? I finally give up and asked for her supervisor to call me back. Let see what this idiot is going to say.

I should just call the freaking newspapers and let them deal with this. You would think Ford is going to smarten up with all this other crap going on with automakers!

end of rant. thank you.
jeebus... that would be very annoying.

On the positive side, chances of the door randomly swinging open when driving is probably low since you have to open the door to get the pawl stuck open first...

I don't know what it is with Ford and door latches, but they've had a hard run of them lately, with my focus, the freestyle, etc... I hope they're able to resolve this to your satisfaction promptly.
I decided to call my dealership and the service tech ran me thru what i should do. He just told me to spray all the latches with low temp lube and hopefully that should resolve the problem.

Lets see how it is in the long run. Just when i started to give up on Ford. my dealership came to the rescue :)

hats off to Al Paladini's service tech for being patient with me and helping me with this. :)
darkpuppet,Dec 10 2008, 09:44 PM Wrote:jeebus... that would be very annoying.

On the positive side, chances of the door randomly swinging open when driving is probably low since you have to open the door to get the pawl stuck open first...

I don't know what it is with Ford and door latches, but they've had a hard run of them lately, with my focus, the freestyle, etc...   I hope they're able to resolve this to your satisfaction promptly.
[right][snapback]277999[/snapback][/right]

you know it happened to me last year and i didnt really care about it that much. But now its my wife and my 11 month of baby that has to drive this car and suddenly it makes me very protective.

I was yelling at the service rep saying, its great that my car has AWD with traction control, 6 air bags but guess what the f***ing door just opens while driving :)
Quote:Make: FORD
Model: FOCUS
Affected Year(s): 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 
Units Affected: 152181
TC Recall #: 2005025
Manufacturer: 
Campaign Code: 05S27

Certain four door (sedan and wagon) and five door vehicles originally sold or currently registered in the provinces of Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec, and Ontario may have faulty rear door latches. Corrosion build-up at the pawl pivot area of the latch can cause the latch to bind. The owner may experience difficulty opening or closing a rear door, and eventually the rear door may not latch properly. If not latched properly the door may open while the vehicle is in motion. Correction: Dealers will inspect the rear door latches. A latch that passes the evaluation will be lubricated to prevent future corrosion. A latch that does not pass the evaluation will be replaced.

Your post made me think. My passenger rear door is very dificult to open so I thought I would check it out. It seems there is a similar problem with the Focus. I am going to call my dealer tomorrow and find out what the deal is.

Sorry for your frustration, lets hope I don't have a similar problem. With a 6 year old and a baby on the way within the next month or so this recall has got me worried. Here is hoping I don't run into a similar issue.
mo_focus,Dec 10 2008, 05:32 PM Wrote:f***ingFordPOSispissingmeoff.ca

[right][snapback]277998[/snapback][/right]

New webiste name?
I had the Focus' latches done as per the recall at the time, they said that there wasn't any sign of an issue, but that it could have easily happened (door go pop, NefCanuck or passengers go flying :ph34r:)

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Dec 10 2008, 08:00 PM Wrote:I had the Focus' latches done as per the recall at the time, they said that there wasn't any sign of an issue, but that it could have easily happened (door go pop, NefCanuck or passengers go flying :ph34r:)

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]278014[/snapback][/right]

Exactly what I was thinking. With the new addition coming shortly I would hate to have the little one or the bigger little one sucked out the door while cruising up to Mom and Dads north of Huntsville. :wtf:
Update.

So manager finally called me and they told me to screw off as well. :)

So i filled a report with Transport Canada, in regards to the claim. Someone called me and they are sending someone to come over and look at the car and see if the recall was done or not. Also they want to know if the recall was the correct solution to the problem. Hopefully something will come out of this.

Driving the car and holding the door open with one hand is not fun :D

way to go ford. Ignore one guy, and maybe now you have to deal with hundreds bc you didnt want to fix mine.

mo_focus,Dec 19 2008, 03:38 PM Wrote:Update.

So i filled a report with Transport Canada, in regards to the claim. Someone called me and they are sending someone to come over and look at the car and see if the recall was done or not. Also they want to know if the recall was the correct solution to the problem. Hopefully something will come out of this.

way to go ford. Ignore one guy, and maybe now you have to deal with hundreds bc you didnt want to fix mine.
[right][snapback]278535[/snapback][/right]

Mo ... did they tell you to screw off because the recall had already been done - or because of the age of the vehicle?

It seems to me that the two real actionable items in the recall is the installation of a shield and the sealing of drain hole ... if that's been done then really the only other part is the lubrication -- and honestly I can see why Ford might not want to do that, if they already did it once during the performance of the other two items.

I'm sure someone on here could pull up on OASIS report and see what the real deal is on your car.

Anyway - good luck with that.

ZTWsquared,Dec 19 2008, 11:27 PM Wrote:
mo_focus,Dec 19 2008, 03:38 PM Wrote:Update.

[right][snapback]278535[/snapback][/right]

Mo ... did they tell you to screw off because the recall had already been done - or because of the age of the vehicle?

It seems to me that the two real actionable items in the recall is the installation of a shield and the sealing of drain hole ... if that's been done then really the only other part is the lubrication -- and honestly I can see why Ford might not want to do that, if they already did it once during the performance of the other two items.

I'm sure someone on here could pull up on OASIS report and see what the real deal is on your car.

Anyway - good luck with that.
[right][snapback]278559[/snapback][/right]

They told me since the recall was done once they are not going to pay for it again. Ford Canada only pays the dealers once for the recall to be done. This is the part that pisses me off. Someone should be accountable for this. I had a similar deal with VW and they repaired the seat for me free of charge bc it was part of the recall on my Jetta. VW Canada told me they have to perform the repairs until they get it right, so how come Ford has a different policy when it comes to recalls. This is why I went to TC. I want Ford to change their policy in regards to recalls.

Weird thing is when i called ford they said only lubrication was done, but the recall stated 3 things to be done. When i look at the lock itself i did not see a shield. I'm thinking TC and Ford have the same recall number, but the items in the recall are different. Ford tech told me only lubrication was required; meanwhile TC stated the 3 items.

As for the car, its 05, it’s not that old. Oh well I'll let TC deal with it from here.

last time I checked Ford didn't have anything fast enuff to cause a vacuum effect on the door, like in a jet plane....