FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Won't run after new clutch + flywheel install
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So we just put a new aluminum flywheel and stage 3 clutch in my svt . The car ran when we brought it into the garage . Now after the install the car starts but is acting like it's running on 1 cylinder . We checked out coil , wires , pigtail that goes to the coil and they are all good . Even swapped out a new coil pigtail and a combo of different wires and coils , still same thing . I'm gonna start scavenging to see if I missed any pigtails but anywhere I should look next ? Crank position sensor ?
if it was the crank sensor it wouldnt start at all. might be slightly misaligned though (weird system ford has). also check cam position sensor, that'll throw things off too
Stayed up till like 5 am yesterday , making me go crazy lol . We just found oil on the spark plugs so hoping after we clean it all out she will fire .
Cleaned up the plugs , still doing the same thing. This is really odd , almost running like the timing is out . Before I take it apart again I'm gonna check the cam and crank sensor . Maybe the crank got messed up when we were wrestling the trans back up . I really would hate to tear it apart again.
We changed out the crank and cam sensor , still doing it . I'll have to stew over it for a couple of days. It starts and sounds like the timing is out . Unless the flywheel has a flaw .
If you spun the engine over backwards while doing the flywheel, this can cause tension to be lost on the timing belt until it is spun in the correct direction. Iv seen this cause mechanical timing to be out by 2 or more teeth.
That's something to think about , we inspected the timing belt and it looked okay and felt pretty tight . Maybe we will take a closer look at that . It almost seems like there is a huge vacuum leak somewhere . Also P1246 which is something to do with the alt but the car starts so I'm eliminating that for the time being . The intake manifold has a lot of play in it , I can move it pretty easily just by grabbing it by the tb . The upper 4 couplers all have the CFM red houses .
Well everything I've spoken about above is good . I'm starting to think the crank tone ring on the flywheel was installed incorrectly from clutch masters .
I know the stock zetec flywheel has the tone ring as drilled holes in the unit, and the flywheel only lines up one way, so I do wonder if the flywheel is not made correctly as you stated.
I was looking at a thread from way back and someone had the same symptoms as I'm having , he spent a ton of money replacing unneeded things and turns out his crank tone ring was installed incorrectly from the clutch company . Here is a link to his thread . http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/svt-p...ved-3.html . For a last hurrah before I take the car back apart I'm gonna swap the alternator because the battery light goes on after I start it , yet the battery is fully charged... . Maybe somehow the car isn't getting enough power to run properly . But I highly doubt it , It just doesn't make any sense because the car was running perfectly before the clutch went on me... just noticed a lack of power (only reached 5lbs of boost ) I'll keep this post updated
It would make sense. Aftermarket parts have usually no where near the QC as OEM
(06-17-2015, 12:00 PM)2000zx3sct Wrote: [ -> ]... gonna swap the alternator because the battery light goes on after I start it , yet the battery is fully charged... . Maybe somehow the car isn't getting enough power to run properly . But I highly doubt it , It just doesn't make any sense because the car was running perfectly before the clutch went on me... just noticed a lack of power (only reached 5lbs of boost ) I'll keep this post updated

Further to this, me and a couple of other Focus members on here have had very bad experiences with aftermarket rebuilt alternators - they'd run for an hour or even just a few minutes then the light would be back on. I know one member who went through 5 or 6 in the course of a week or so.

I spoke to a local rebuilder about this, and he said that if the rebuilder used cheap Chinese electronics, there was a good chance of that happening. Basically they were incompatible with the EEC-V and did not correctly interpret the command to "charge" and so right out of the box they looked like they were faulty.

So I had him rebuild mine using only American made chips and resistors and a year later it's still working great.
This is a good reason to follow this forum. It looks like I dodged a bullet. When I bought the 2002 Focus wagon back in 2010, the seller gave me a spare alternator - it was one of the reasons he was selling the car. He had gone through several and carried a spare. We swapped the entire SVT drive train that winter and it is still going strong. So this little tidbit of information is good to know. Thank you.
The current alternator on it is actually a brand new one from champion but it is aprox 5 yrs old. , Ive been through this in the past with my silver focus , I remember going through at least 10 in the 5 yrs I had it . But never the same symptoms as I'm having right now . It barely runs , once any gas is given car shuts off . But.... If I put a battery charger on it it will continue to idle better but yet still stall once given gas . No dtc codes anymore . But battery light is still on . Once I swap this alternator hopefully it will run. Only other thing I'm thinking of is the flywheel crank ring being in the wrong spot.
Hrmmmm. Do you have access to a fuel pressure gauge? Perhaps its dropping and the fuel pressure sensor isnt correctly working. Just a shot in the dark
I think I'll have to checkout the fuel system also before I take it back apart . The car is up on jackstands on the front only and was like that for 5 weeks until I got the new clutch in . Maybe because it's up in the air it's starving for fuel ? . Also noticed before the clutch went on me lack of power under hard acceleration this makes me think lthe fuel pump being bad .
(06-20-2015, 04:21 AM)2000zx3sct Wrote: [ -> ]I think I'll have to checkout the fuel system also before I take it back apart . The car is up on jackstands on the front only and was like that for 5 weeks until I got the new clutch in . Maybe because it's up in the air it's starving for fuel ? . Also noticed before the clutch went on me lack of power under hard acceleration this makes me think lthe fuel pump being bad .

That's also a symptom of a clogged fuel filter... Notorious Focus condition.
Well I have found the problem . Sure enough I was correct . The crank ring is in the wrong position there is one bigger section that has to line up with the dot . It is not lined up . Here you can see the dot in the smaller section .....wrong

Here is the bigger section with no dot .

So I'm gonna contact CFM , I would like some sort of compensation for all the work that needs to be reversed .

Here is the old one which is the correct way . I'm beyond pissed .
Wow. I'd definitely demand some compensation. That's a brutal mistake on the manufacturers part. Glad it was figured out. Damn
CFM is questioning me now , I've sent them these same pictures and they are trying to say it's not the problem . This is unreal . Clearly it's the problem . They said they have sold numerous kits and no one has ever had a problem lmfao
Pages: 1 2