FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: engine RPM's rise drastically with no input
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
not to sure if anyone can help me out but my car seems to be acting out on its own, and have no idea what would cause my engine rpms to rise drastically on its own, for example i was on the highway driving home and came up on some traffic so i pushed the clutch in after breaking to downshift and as soon as i push the clutch in the motor revs up on its own without my foot being anywhere near the gas pedal, my only solution is dump the clutch and let the mechanical drag bring the rpms down closer to idle in gear or just shift very fast before it revs to redline. so my question really is what might cause this and what can i do to fix it, thanks!
[Image: iRL4k7x.jpg]

Two to one odds you might have the same problem as I had. Grands pieds! Coming back from Carlisle in the wagon, another driver cut me off in traffic in Chicago. I hit the brakes, hard, and went to downshift. The engine revved up, so I released the clutch and killed the engine. Hey, SVT brakes work very well.

The hard part of this incident was to endure the mocking humour from my youngest son (he gets his sense of humour from his mother) with his comment "Drive much?"

It was the sole on my right foot boot that caught the edge of the accelerator/throttle pedal. I now drive my toy with soft sole runners.
haha yeah thats what i figured first but i can have my foot on the floor and it'll just keep climbing and bounce off redline and stay pinned there until i shut the car off and then turn it on again
Darn, I confessed to being a lousy driver for nothing. Okay, so I checked on-line and found the only other explanation is there is a bug or short in the electronic throttle control body (cruise controller). Either that or there is carbon on the butterfly. See the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53sDY_tmOnI
Iac stuck open too perhaps!
thanks for the help I'm thinking it has to do with the cruise control because it only really acts up when I've used it in the last few weeks i haven't used it and it runs pretty normal and I've got a long highway drive coming up this weekend and use cruise control and see if that verifies anything
wow grammar is clearly not my speciality looking at that last post haha