FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Transmission/transaxle service
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, Focus community.
I have a 2007 Focus wagon with 82,000 km.  According to the Ford service manual it should have an automatic transmission/transaxle service every 50,000 km or every 30 months.  Can anyone advise me what this service involves?  Is it just a look and top up of the fluid, or does it mean the transmission fluid should be replaced every 30 months?
No noticeable problems with the Transmission at this time.
I have driven my other cars (the ones with automatic transmissions) for upwards of 350,000 kilometres. The transaxle fluid was checked for colour, odour and usually left alone (hint, check it now so you know what it looks like and how it smells.) If you suspect problems, slow shifting or slipping, go to the dealer, not to the quick oil change places.

Checking my owner manual (a 2002 Focus Wagon), it indicates that the automatic transaxle does not consume fluid. It does however tell you to check the fluid regularly (I usually check the fluid level and colour when we change the engine oil.)

Additionally, the owner manual instructs the owner to check the level if the transaxle slips or shifts slowly or if you notice a leak around the pan.

Automatic transmission fluid expands when warmed. To obtain an accurate fluid check, drive the vehicle until it is warmed up (approximately 30 km). If your vehicle has been operated for an extended period at high speeds, in city traffic during hot weather or pulling a trailer, the vehicle should be turned off for about 30 minutes to allow fluid to cool before checking.

Owner manual says:
1. Drive the vehicle 30 km or until it reaches normal operating temperature.
2. Park the vehicle on a level surface and engage the parking brake.
3. With the parking brake engaged and your foot on the brake pedal, start the engine and move the gearshift lever through all of the gear ranges. Allow sufficient time for each gear to engage.
4. Latch the gearshift lever in P (Park) and leave the engine running.
5. Remove the dipstick, wiping it clean with a clean, dry lint free rag.
6. Install the dipstick making sure it is fully seated in the filler tube.
7. Remove the dipstick and inspect the fluid level. The fluid should be in between the notched designated areas for normal operating temperature.

If the fluid level is low, do not drive the vehicle (fluid level is at the bottom of the dipstick and the outside temperature is above 10°C.)

See page 214 of your manual for the levels.

Caution, never overfill the transaxle.

If you do not have a copy of the owner manual, just click and download the PDF copy of the relevant pages. If you want a copy of the full manual, just send me your email address (PM me) and I will eventually forward you a copy (I'm old and slow.)
The fluid itself has parts that break down over time and mileage, this is why they suggest changing it so often. In the real world, if you're not hard on it and drive it fairly regularly and keep an eye on how it shifts, then just check the fluid every so often and change every 100k or so, or change it when it starts shifting a little different.  

The wet clutch packs and bands inside the transmission rely on the fluid to have certain 'friction modifiers' in it to have the proper slip-to-grab ratio of the components. These break down over time or hard useage. This is why our transmissions require mercon V only, it has a formulation for this.
The Focus owner manual maintenance schedule for the automatic transaxle doesn't specify any mileage. What I suspect is that Norval (the original poster) was told at one of the quickie oil change places he should have his transmission "flushed".

While MikkelRS is absolutely correct that all automotive fluids deteriorate over time, it should be incumbent on the owner to determine when service is needed. Hard use, frequent stop-and-go city driving, hauling heavy loads, trailer towing, all will accelerate the deterioration. Any kind of driving that raises the operating temperature of the transmission and engine, puts more strain on the transmission and the fluid.

All automotive oils and fluids cool and lubricate.

So if you do a lot of driving under high-temperature conditions, you should check the transmission level more often and have your dealer check the condition of the fluid. Transmission fluid is usually red and as it deteriorates it tends to turn darker. More important it also acquires a burned odor that could indicate it needs to be changed or that the transmission is developing mechanical problems.

I recommend the dealer, because he has far more at stake than a few dollars commission. The Fast Oil Change places are mostly good, but be very careful in accepting all of their recommendations. (See this CBC Marketplace video). Like any "quickie" there may be consequences.

Most of the Quickie places use a flush system that forces out the old fluid and pumps in new fluid. In contrast the dealer drops the pan, changes or cleans the internal filter, and uses the proper fluid. Plus you get a limited warranty.

A couple of anecdotal stories. My 1995 Taurus wagon went 365,000 kilometres on the original transmission and fluid. However it was the transmission that went when one of my sons, playing four by four, got stuck in the mud and blew the transmission. Was it the fluid or was it being stuck?

The second example involves the replacement 2000 wagon. It was taken off the road some five years later when this Taurus tried to hump an Impala. My fault. Mileage was 357,000 kilometres (mostly mine) and original transmission and fluid. The third replacement was a 2001 Taurus whose owner said he changed transmission fluid at 60,000. Less than a year later the transmission went bang in the middle of rush hour traffic in Edmonton. I had put on less than an additional 50,000 kilometres.
Thanks for these replies. The garage I was at didn't exactly recommend anything until I asked when I should change the transmission fluid, then they said it would probably be a good idea to get it done now. But when they showed me the research they had done on their computer I think it said that the transmission fluid not just the filter) should be completely changed at 108 months, which is actually just last February (9 years from warranty start date of Feb, 2007). So I think I will wait for a little while as I won't be putting many miles on over the winter, and it seems to be running fine. Maybe when I next change the oil I will take it to a dealer and have them do it there, just to be safe.