FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ford Names New Head Of Global Performance Vehicles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ford names new head of Global Performance Vehicles
Source: Leftlanenews
Dec. 4. 2008

Ford is working towards the goal of having the majority of its vehicles built on global platforms within the next few years, and it looks like that worldly mentality will spill over into the Blue Oval’s performance divisions. On Thursday Ford named Jost Capito as the head of its Global Performance Vehicles and Motorsport Business Development.

In his new position, Capito – who has worked with Porsche and BMW and has also been an integral part of Ford’s WRC operations – will head up Ford’s SVT and European TeamRS operations. That means that Ford’s SVT and TeamRS divisions will be closer linked, increasing the possibility of shared products – such as the Focus RS that has been off limits to North American residents.

Capito will make the move from the UK to Dearborn in preparation to take the position in January 2009. Capito, 50, has been with Ford since 2001.

GOOD! The guy who brought the Focus to the WRC manufacturers championship, will be in charge globally. Let's hope that the trip from Europe to North America doesn't cause him to lose his talents.
Or the faltering economy doesn't shut the division all together.
oldeguy,Dec 5 2008, 07:51 AM Wrote:GOOD! The guy who brought the Focus to the WRC manufacturers championship, will be in charge globally. Let's hope that the trip from Europe to North America doesn't cause him to lose his talents.
[right][snapback]277719[/snapback][/right]

Or become as vanilla as the rest of FoMoCan. Seriously, when they stopped making the GT40 (even though I believe they announced it wasn't a long-term production), Ford lost a lot of performance "street cred".

Have the Cobra and the GT500KR is nice, but a TRUE supercar would be nice to see out there again. If Chevy has managed all this time, then... and the Z51 Corvette is arguably one of the best, if not the best performance deal for the (US) dollar out there.

Dodge still makes one of my all-time faves still as well, the Viper. So, what's Ford's excuse?
Well the econmy is still going to be a factor in this. I heard this morning that Honda has pulled out of F1. I believe before long that Bernie Eccelstone is going to have to make some major changes to how he runs the series.
I think they asked me if I was interested in this job. Pretty sure I turned it down.
yay ford is finally starting to be more open minded........in my opinion its time to dump the old school mentality and start something new.....by old school I mean Shelby.
Auto Blog Thinks we are going to get alot of performance vehicles with this guy Here is there little write up.

Ford names new head of SVT and TeamRS, performance models to be developed globally

Ford's goal of designing products to be sold both Stateside and abroad could finally include some of its hottest European offerings with the appointment of Jost Capito to the newly-created position of director of global performance vehicles and motorsports business development.

While we've had to adore models like the Focus RS from abroad, Capito's new gig overseeing and consolidating both the North American Special Vehicle Team (SVT) and the European TeamRS means that crosspollination between the two performance brands is assured.

Capito -- a Dakar Rally veteran and former engineer for BMW and Porsche -- has been with Ford of Europe since October of 2001, and managed Ford's European motorsport and performance vehicle programs from 2003 through 2007. During that time, he was instrumental in Ford's WRC campaign and helped to bring the Fiesta ST, Focus ST and Focus RS to market. Capito will be moving from the UK to Dearborn, Michigan before he takes the reigns in January next year, and we're hoping to secure some time with the new exec to hear his plans for the future of Ford's performance products.