FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Windows Xp Pro & Vista Ultimate On Same Network
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Went into Costco and picked up an HP Tablet PC that's running Vista Ultimate 64bit for $900 + taxes and I want to use it with my wireless network where the host PC is running XP Pro SP3

Anything I should watch out for when I set up the new computer? Or will it simply use the wireless network with no tweaking needed on the host PC at all?

NefCanuck
Not too sure what you mean by "use the wireless network with no tweaking needed on the host PC".

I'll assume you mean flawless access to windows XP shared files from the Vista tablet. You might want to disable simple file sharing in that case and authenticate with a "standard" username and password. At least, that's what I would do.

To make it super-easy, use the same exact username and password on BOTH machines. Then, with simple file sharing disabled, auto-access to shared folders is instantly done. Just map a drive to the UNC path you want (you seem savvy, Dan... I'll assume you know what that is for now) and you'll never have to authenticate to the XP box. Going in the reverse direction can be tricky, so I'd advocate accessing the XP box from the tablet.
The XP machine is going to be the mothership anyways in terms of data and media storage (Even though this tablet comes with a 320GB HDD, I'm loathe to have anything on it that isn't backed up on the main box anyhow.

One other question, assuming I installed the drivers for my printer to the tablet, can I also print from the tablet? (This assumes that the main XP box is up of course which kind of defeats the purpose of printing from the tablet, but the geek in me is intrigued to see if this would work :P)

NefCanuck