FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Engine Light
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I started my car today and my "check engine" light came on. I plugged i my code reader and it said " system too rich bank 1" what could be the cause of this??? never threw this code before any ideas?
Google is your friend:

"The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
There could be a vacuum leak.
There could be a fuel pressure or delivery problem

Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary
Clean MAF sensor. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
Inspect fuel lines for cracks, leaks, or pinches
Check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail
Check the fuel injectors, they may be dirty. Use fuel injector cleaner or get them professionally cleaned/replaced.
Check for an exhaust leak before the first oxygen sensor."

In my experience it ended up being the O2 sensor (twice).
Unless you replaced them, the O2 sensors are the same ones that came from the factory. Keep that in mind.

I'd start by taking the inatke off and cleaning out the MAF with MAF cleaner.
(04-29-2010, 02:41 AM)Flofocus Wrote: [ -> ]Unless you replaced them, the O2 sensors are the same ones that came from the factory. Keep that in mind.

I'd start by taking the inatke off and cleaning out the MAF with MAF cleaner.

I cleaned the MAF, checked all vacuum lines, fuel lines, fuel pressure, cleaned the injectors, check for exhaust leaks (none) Ended up being the o2 sensor, replaced with a new one. Did you ever have any problems with the 1st o2 sensor location? Mike told me i shouldn't have it in the turbo and should relocate it to the bung in the dp as it wont be as hot. I don't think it is necessary as it is taking the same reading, it may be a little less heat in the dp but that's it.
never had problems with the 1st o2 sensor.

Not surprised that was it tho, like I said, they were the ones from the factory in 1999. Probably due to be changed anyways.