FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: New Tires Losing Air
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I just put on my winter tires a little over a week ago and today I noticed two of the tires (both on passenger side) looked a little low!

When I used my digital tire pressure reader my front passenger side was 21 (should be around 32-34) and my rear passenger side was 11!

I checked to see if it could be a nail but didn't find anything. Then i sprayed some soapy water around the rim to see if the air is leaking out and guess what i found.

Here's the pic:
[Image: bubblesqv9.th.jpg][Image: thpix.gif]

So as u can see it bubbling which means air is coming out but the otherside is completely clean (no bubbles or foaming).

Now my question is: is this something that happens sometimes with new winters and u just need to drive it a few times and let the new tire/rubber settle in to the wheel? Or is this definitely not going to correct itself and i have to get it re-mounted and balanced?

It could be rust or corrosion on the inside of the rim, or who ever installed them could have bent or ripped the bead.

some tire shops use a sealer inside the rim to keep them from leaking, some dont use anything at all.

if you just baught them take the car back to the shop there should be some sort of warranty.
Yeah that's what i think it is....except i don't know what this "bead" is.... i'll fill it up with air tomorrow and see if they keep losing air. I'll most likely need to have them remounted/balanced. I sent them a message hopefully hear back from them soon.

Tires N Rims in Woodbridge: so far their service and product seemed great and i recommended them earlier.....i'm sure they do it for me again no charge. If not, then someone is not going to be a happy camper.... lol
Most shops use a rim sealant to help guard against air loss, hell even CT does.

If you just bought them, I'd be heading back there ASAP - especially if you're not sure about the warranty on the tires and rims. To me, that seems a little odd. Always get your warranty info on new items.
both of my summer rim/tires did that on the passenger side like 2 weeks ago.....so i took them into the shop and they said that air was leacking from the sidewalls.....they said that the shop before them didn't put enough sealent......
i always ask for them to clean the rim with wire brush before mounting new tires. i also ask for a new valve stem as well.

if the rims are brand new, there shouldnt be a need for a sealant. if the rims are old then the sealant would seal the deal :D
I'd call them up and ask what's going on.
All it is, is that they didn't grind off the corrosion with a wire brush or a mini air grinder. Ask to see the inside of the tire and make sure there isn't any dark lines in it showing that the rim cut into it if so then they need to get you a new tire.
I got a response back and they said they'll pop the tire and put some tar sealant around the rim and rebalance them.

I'll go in this week and hopefully that fixes the issue.

BTW they BRAND NEW winter tires and steelies.
Sry can't c the pic.
If the rims are spanking new then they definalty didn't use lube lol. Sry something is worng there buddy take it to another shop and have them drop the beads and reseal them. Very unsafe.
Ok so just to update: I went back to Tires N Rims in Woodbridge as they told me they'd reseal the two tires again free of charge since i had just bought from them a month ago.

Service was good as the 1st time, treated me well and resealed the two tires in about 20-30 minutes. The guy told me that the bead wasn't damaged and they DID use lubrication the first time but sometimes the the tar sealant isn't enough and air comes out of the edge. So he told me i was the first guy back from all the winters they sold this season.

He explained to me that they basically remove the air, push the tires in and paint the inner wheel edge with the tar/sealant and after they pumped the air back in the tire i could visibily notice some of the black tar/sealant that oozed out around the edge of the tire and wheel so they definiitely put a lot on this time.

Drove home and checked the tires with my digital reader and it read 35psi and 32.5psi (it'll go down a bit after driving). So far so good...let it rest a couple days...i'll check it again on Sunday and tell you if the air has finally stopped leaking. It should read 32-34 psi.