FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Weird Heater Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First winter with the new 02 Wagon. If I warm up my car for 15 minutes, the engine goes to a good temp but the heater still has no heat.

Heat does not come until i'm driving (ie it blows cold air prior to moving). Its only just a few meters and heat magically comes.

At stop signsghts the heat seems to start blowing less hot.

Anybody else experience this issue, and what was the fix?

hardk0re,Nov 21 2008, 01:30 PM Wrote:First winter with the new 02 Wagon.  If I warm up my car for 15 minutes, the engine goes to a good temp but the heater still has no heat.

Heat does not come until i'm driving (ie it blows cold air prior to moving).  Its only just a few meters and heat magically comes.

At stop signsghts the heat seems to start blowing less hot.

Anybody else experience this issue, and what was the fix?
[right][snapback]276949[/snapback][/right]
Haven't looked at the Focus specifically, but a lot of Fords use vacuum lines to actuate the diverters in the HVAC system. You might have a broken line that's bleeding off vacuum so that the flapper goes to the default (cold) position.
But when i'm driving I get good heat? Could a vac hose cause that?
hardk0re,Nov 21 2008, 02:06 PM Wrote:But when i'm driving I get good heat?  Could a vac hose cause that?
[right][snapback]276951[/snapback][/right]
If it's a vacuum actuated system, yes; because the vacuum pressure changes as you drive.
OAC_Sparky,Nov 21 2008, 03:24 PM Wrote:
hardk0re,Nov 21 2008, 02:06 PM Wrote:But when i'm driving I get good heat?  Could a vac hose cause that?
[right][snapback]276951[/snapback][/right]
If it's a vacuum actuated system, yes; because the vacuum pressure changes as you drive.
[right][snapback]276952[/snapback][/right]

The only thing vac operated on an '02 is the flapper door to recirculate...

I'd check your coolant level. I'll almost guarantee that's what it is...
The t-stat likes to start leaking once it gets cold out, and once your coolant level drops so low, you won't get heat until the pump RPM can force it thru the heater core...
I had similar issues, but then my t-stat did have "the crack" and had to be replaced. I find though that had stops the fan pressure is lower which I think could be an alternator on the way out. Can't handle the current draw at idle.

Check your t-stat housing though, mine was leaking for ages before it finally bled out massively.
thats a t-stat problem I would change that and flush ur cooling system. B)
sounds like thermostat problem or heater core try thermo first
just like everyone else said, thermostat. friends k-car (winter beater) did the same also liked to run hoter then it shud. replaced thermostat, got rid of all the air bubbles and it was good again