FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ps3 ---ps2 Playability...?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Thats what I was figuring.... I have to get the console first anyways... LOL
darkpuppet,Nov 26 2008, 11:30 AM Wrote:wireless is convenient, but not the best way to game online.  If you want to game online, you're better off to have a cabled connection.
[right][snapback]277150[/snapback][/right]

In fact most new PS3 games recommend (if not outright require) an ethernet connection for on-line gaming, the data being sent is now too large to allow for wireless gameplay (How the Wii still manages to do wireless online gaming sucessfully is a mystery to me :huh:)

NefCanuck
We all know nintendo is simple kids games....lol
So I found a place that sells 60Gb consoles for $450 locally.. and I think he said $425 OR was it $475 with 3 PS3 games... either way.... not too bad

WISH I COULD FIND IT CHEAPER THOUGH....
darkpuppet,Nov 26 2008, 12:30 PM Wrote:wireless is convenient, but not the best way to game online.  If you want to game online, you're better off to have a cabled connection.
[right][snapback]277150[/snapback][/right]

Okay, I don't get it. Isn't the wireless 54Mbps?
Your DSL or Cable provider gives you what, a 5Mb line??? So, why would wireless not work?
The NIC in the PS3 is only 100mbit... I wish it were 1000Mbit because of the amount of info I transfer from my PC to my PS3 is kinda nuts :ph34r:

(yes, I have a 1000Mbit switch)
the nic on the PS3 is 1000mbit... check your hub/router.

The reason I don't recommend 54Mbps wireless is because wireless transmissions are error-prone, and by default, you get increased latencies. Then add in error correction, and extra overhead for wireless, and you either have reduced sustained throughput, increased latencies or increased dropped packets.

So yeah, it works, but wireless isn't always optimal for gaming.

Anyone who's used a Cisco VPN client may attest to the problems the occasional dropped packet or latency issue can introduce if such errata aren't handled on the client side properly.

oh, yeah.. not sure if anyone's noticed this, but depending on your wireless router and machine connecting wirelessly, you may not have a truly duplex connection, meaning you're operating at half speed, double latency.
^ runs to switch to see what the f**k is up!!!
Pages: 1 2