FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Another Winter Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is another problem I've had in my car last winter that the dealer wouldn't do anything about it because it's not a problem they could actually see being defective or whatever. When I park my car at night I normally leave my car in neutral and put the E brake on, in the summer this isn't a problem. In the winter when I leave for work in the morning, it doesn't release off my brakes and the E brake handle feels really loose. I can drive and eventually the brakes let go, but after the dealer doing f*** all about it last winter, I don't use the E brake on cold days and leave the car in gear. Has anyone else had this problem so I can go to the dealer and tell them what to look for?
Raypro,Nov 4 2008, 06:43 PM Wrote:This is another problem I've had in my car last winter that the dealer wouldn't do anything about it because it's not a problem they could actually see being defective or whatever. When I park my car at night I normally leave my car in neutral and put the E brake on, in the summer this isn't a problem. In the winter when I leave for work in the morning, it doesn't release off my brakes and the E brake handle feels really loose. I can drive and eventually the brakes let go, but after the dealer doing f*** all about it last winter, I don't use the E brake on cold days and leave the car in gear. Has anyone else had this problem so I can go to the dealer and tell them what to look for?
[right][snapback]275991[/snapback][/right]

Call Ford customer service and tell them your dealer won't do anything about it?

it could be that the rear brakes need to be service my ranger i had would do something similar ranger was bad for rear adjusters and stuff seizing

if there any moisture in there it could be freezing and making them stick more than they would in the summer

it also could be moisture in the parking brake cables
Maybe your pullin on the E brake to hard, you should leave it in gear and put the E brake on.
Try another dealer.
And tell them your there because your last dealer turned a blind eye.
Also tell them that if your happy with the service... you'll bring your car there for all it's maintenance.
My 2005 always does this. I work at a dealer and service the rear brakes every oil change and it still does it. I just stop useing the ebrake and/or just live with it i guess.
Through the two winters I had my '05 I never experienced what you are having issues with (e brake sticking temporarily on release)

In my case the car was always oil sprayed every fall, the brakes services as per Ford recommended intervals and I never pulled on the e brake handle harder than getting three clicks :blink: :unsure:

NefCanuck
ur handbrake cables are seizing up, thats y u got that loose feeling,if its only ur shoes sticking u would still feel tension on ur handbrake.
Raypro,Nov 4 2008, 06:43 PM Wrote:This is another problem I've had in my car last winter that the dealer wouldn't do anything about it because it's not a problem they could actually see being defective or whatever. When I park my car at night I normally leave my car in neutral and put the E brake on, in the summer this isn't a problem. In the winter when I leave for work in the morning, it doesn't release off my brakes and the E brake handle feels really loose. I can drive and eventually the brakes let go, but after the dealer doing f*** all about it last winter, I don't use the E brake on cold days and leave the car in gear. Has anyone else had this problem so I can go to the dealer and tell them what to look for?
[right][snapback]275991[/snapback][/right]
Given the timing of when the problem actually occurs, I would take your car to the dealer the night before - park it and put the e-brake on - and then leave them a note with your keys.

I know it's a pain, but because of Ford's warranty processes the dealer can't fix something that they can't diagnose - so you have to do whatever it takes to help them see the problem.
Given that this seems to only happen in the winter, and i am assuming that the rear brakes have been serviced and all pivots and adjusters are working fine, i would suspect that there is moisture in your parking brake cables. Overnight, you apply your parking brake and the moisture freezes. The ice would hold your cables in place once your handle is released, hence the "loose" feeling handle. Once the cables heat up from the exhaust, or just slowly slip (since ice wouldn't be able to hold it forever) the cable would release. A similiar cause would be if someone tried to lube the cables at some point and used improper grease and it is "freezing/thickening" with the same results as if it were moisture.

Hope this helps.