FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Packing Snow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was just wondering if any one eles has a problem with snow getting pack up behind the wheels in the front.
I seem to end up with snow packed into my control arm and a bit futher under the motor. Usually makes the car vibrate something bad lol.

I Seem to have all my wheel well shroud it just seems that this happens alot in deep snow. Its no fun getting it outa there either.

Anyone?
Ya me too, I guess it's normal for most cars to do that really.
I can't say that I can remember having that problem. All I have noticed is the build up on the rocker panels.
Focus man, Focus.,Oct 29 2008, 09:17 AM Wrote:I can't say that I can remember having that problem. All I have noticed is the build up on the rocker panels.
[right][snapback]275474[/snapback][/right]

Always if I have to dig through some snow to get anywhere I end up with my control arms and CV's are packed with snow.
Well now that I am dropped I may encounter that issue, but in the 4 past winters I haven't had an issue. I am seriously not looking forward to this winter.
I only noticed that when the conditions were really bad.

When I was up in Wiarton for Groundhog Day back in 2007, so much snow had fallen that when it got thrown from the tires when I was driving it stuck everywhere in the wheel well and suspension bits in the front end.

By the time I got back to civilization anything over 50km/h made the car vibrate like it was going to fall apart until it melted away in my garage. :ph34r:

NefCanuck
Engine heat should take care of that?
I usually get under there with my ice scraper handle and bat it all out.
Nah, engine heat isn't enough... not in North Bay, anyways. I had that with the sedan - ice around the trans mounts and such... in reverse, it was fine. In drive, you thought you were doing 80+ down a washboard. I had to get it sprayed out with hot water to remove all the ice that was jammed in there.

If anything, the heat from the engine and transmission made it worse as the stuff melted, moved inward and then refroze. It became immobile and so did everything the ice touched. Normal powertrain movement stopped and it was like having super-hard motor mounts.
ANTHONYD,Oct 29 2008, 09:23 AM Wrote:Engine heat should take care of that?
I usually get under there with my ice scraper handle and bat it all out.
[right][snapback]275490[/snapback][/right]

Unfortunately there was no way for the engine heat could deal with the amounts that had filled in under the car, it was so cold and I was driving so slow that the engine was just keeping itself at operating temps, NVM trying to get rid of the build up (I was travelling roads that the OPP had closed and basically had said "'rotsa 'ruck pal :ph34r:")

NefCanuck
Heated garage FTW
I think the vibration is mostly uneven chunks of snow stuck to the in behind the wheels. Thats what my prob was in the winter with vibration.
Huh. I didn't have any problems last winter but I'm glad I read this! Now I won't freak out if it happens this year. :D

Thanks!
-George
Yaa it happened to me a couple of times it depends on the snow i've seen other cars with so much snow in the feners that the tire is scraping against the snow.
Stop parking lot drifting and you will eliminate this!!

That was the only time I had it happen to me and ice driven through some deep snow!

Wand wash FTW!!!
Yep, had this once. I drove into a pile of snow that was pretty big and it started vibrating. It was horrible in reverse. I was just usually put in to a garage or something and melt the snow. Problem fixed...
ZX5focused,Oct 29 2008, 08:31 AM Wrote:Stop parking lot drifting and you will eliminate this!!

That was the only time I had it happen to me and ice driven through some deep snow!

Wand wash FTW!!!
[right][snapback]275529[/snapback][/right]

true^^

this only happend to me at a snowy auto-x where i was travelling sideways repeatedly.
malim,Oct 29 2008, 07:25 PM Wrote:Yep, had this once. I drove into a pile of snow that was pretty big and it started vibrating. It was horrible in reverse. I was just usually put in to a garage or something and melt the snow. Problem fixed...
[right][snapback]275583[/snapback][/right]

Well the roads are crap in london cause they dont know how to plow so leaving it in the garage is nice for a 12 hour fix till I go back out on the road.
There has to be a better way to help prevent this from happening at all.
Had the same problem, especially after being lowered...but I made a habit, like Anthony to knock the snow out of the front wheel wells as often as I could with the handle of my ice scraper, and also washed the crap out of the car at least once per week (unless it was like -40 every day and night). Having snow tires on the stock 15's helped a lot with cutting the snow/ice buildup too...when I still had the OEM Goodyear RSA's on the rims, the buildup in the wells was noticeably worse.

Waiting to see what happens with the Escape this year...Don't think I'll have too much issue, as I've got Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's on it now instead of the stock Conti's, and my buddy's 03 Escape Ltd got around in bad snow with bald stock tires (though getting the truck to drift in 4wd was pretty easy to do on tight corners or in parking lots).