FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Stucco Ceiling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok guys I need help ASAP I heard that you can't take a paint roller to a Stucco Ceiling is this true? I was told I need to buy or rent a sprayer to paint the Ceiling.
Anyone have any experience with this?
I have done it before with good results.

Use a thick fluffy paint roller. It works best on lightly sprayed on stucco.
^^^^^^^^
Go to Home Depot and get a ceiling roller. They make one specific for it.
Home Depot will carry the roller for that but...Why not scrape the popcorn off with a trowel, it will look so much better ( well my taste)
You can also take down the lights first and paint, them put them back up, just so you don't miss anything.
Canadian ST,Oct 28 2008, 09:12 AM Wrote:Home Depot will carry the roller for that but...Why not scrape the popcorn off with a trowel, it will look so much better ( well my taste)
You can also take down the lights first and paint, them put them back up, just so you don't miss anything.
[right][snapback]275371[/snapback][/right]

Its not as easy as you think do you know how hard it is to scrape off the Stucco And to level it out good luck so not going to happen without new drywall. I'll take a look at Home Depot for the rollers hopefully it works out. Any other suggestions?
Oh, make sure you buy ceiling paint. It's a little thinker, so it doesn't drip. And you can get it tinted so you can see where you've painted... ;)
ZX3_2NV,Oct 28 2008, 12:32 PM Wrote:Ok guys I need help ASAP I heard that you can't take a paint roller to a Stucco Ceiling is this true? I was told I need to buy or rent a sprayer to paint the Ceiling.
Anyone have any experience with this?
[right][snapback]275364[/snapback][/right]
Kind of off topic ... but, be real careful about exposing a new born to anything that can throw off solvent fumes ... paint, new carpet etc etc ... ideally keep the baby away for a few days while the paint dries and keep the house well ventilated.

I know you didn't ask, but also with new carpet make sure you vacuum it real good ... and I mean literally 5 or 6 times ... in addition to the loose fibres that babies can inhale, there is usually a crap load of dust and dirt from the factory itself buried deep in the fibres.
Thanks but no thanks ZTW Don't be scaring me like that We just bought a house, babies are a whole other step. But we will make sure that none of are visitors bring any kids over and we don't have any carpeted floors so we should be good in that area.
Just remember 'in the bum, no babies"
or in the mouth...
^^^True..
I've used the ceiling paint and specific rollers with good results.
Do yourself the favor and PREP!
put down drop cloths and tape the edges.

Also, work at it with 2 people. Having your arms over head for hours on end is friggin' grueling.
You need to use an oil based product once when painting the ceiling. If you don't, the stucco will loosen up and fall off.
After you have painted a ceiling once with oil, you can use latex if it ever needs it again because you are using a high adhesion flat paint.

And do 2 coats. Just change the direction of you pattern for a great result.

And WTF ZTW???? My Mom smoked through pregnancy and look how I turned out. People are way too cautious about kids and fumes and odours and such.

Now that you mention it.
1. Find paint, a case of beer, a cat (doesn't have to be your own), a dish and a mug (for your beer), a snack and a roll of twine.

2. Take beer and place in fridge, but put one of them in the freezer.

3. Take twine. Tack it across each doorway in the room you're working in, about 6 inches above the floor in a straight line (like a tripwire). Remove beer from freezer. Enjoy that first beer. Mind the tripwire.

4. Pour some beer (from the fridge, don't waste your first cold one) in a dish for the cat. Show cat the beer. Let cat finish beer - pretzels are good. Have some if you want while you wait for the cat.

5. Open your can of paint. Find a brush that's just big enough to fit in the can. Dip brush in can and, carefully now, this is the hard part, paint the cat with the paint. If he's drunk, he shouldn't mind too much. If you get clawed up and such, give the cat another beer. If it takes more than 4-5 beer, keep that cat for yourself and find another - that's one cool cat!

6. Have a beer, possibly two after that first round of painting the cat.

7. Take the painted, drunk cat and a kitchen chair (what do you mean, what chair? Don't you have a chair?) and stand on the chair while holding the cat. Rub the cat against the ceiling. If you can't reach the ceiling, get a taller chair or a bigger cat.

8. After a few strokes, you'll need a beer. Stop and have a beer, taking the time to wax the cat... err paint the cap, err paint the cat after doing so.

9. Get back on the chair, carefully, carefully... WHOA. There. Now do the same again - have a beer while rubbing the cat against the ceiling. If the cat starts to protest, tell him to shut up and then get yourselves each another beersh. Yup. Beersh are good.

10. How far are you done now? Far enough for today? No? SISSY. Have more beersh, more cat for the beersh and then getuponthetable. Spinning, whoa. There. No more spinning. Wait. Whataboutthecat? s***.

11. Get down and bave another heer. Paint the hat... fat... cat. Yeah, cat. Beer the hat. Get back up and do that thing! The chair and the cat and the beersh and the spinninging. Rub the ceiling with the hat. Get on down and down some beersh.

12. Rooms spinning. Cats winning. Girlfriend is coming soon. Good thing there's tripwire. Grab more beersh. Share with cat. HEY CAT THAT'S TOO MUCH BEERSH! BASTARD!!! Come back here 'ith my beersh! Hey stop you!!!

13. Oh no, trip wiresh.

*THUD* *CRASH* *MEOW!*

14. Hire a painter.