FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Updates On The Focus Accident After Massiv Oct.20
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
ok so ill go over what has happened so far.

on monday october 20th was when the accident happened.
on wednesday october 22, the car was towed to golden triangle where they then stated a minimum repair fee of 7000$
on thursday they were suppose to give a total of the damages and report to insurance and us. didnt happen.
got a call today about what is going on, damages have climbed to over 10,000$. i wasnt given details on it all mind you other then that these cars have expensive replacement parts <_<

adjuster will be going to the body shop either monday or tuesday to review the damages, the car and asses whether or not it is worth the fix.

the night of the accident i honestly didnt think that it would be that much to fix the car, maybe 5k or so but nothing like they are saying. what do you guys think????
Wow thats a rip. But they charge it like 5000 for parts and 5000 for labour type of thing.
GFXjamie,Oct 24 2008, 04:29 PM Wrote:ok so ill go over what has happened so far.

on monday october 20th was when the accident happened.
on wednesday october 22, the car was towed to golden triangle where they then stated a minimum repair fee of 7000$
on thursday they were suppose to give a total of the damages and report to insurance and us. didnt happen.
got a call today about what is going on, damages have climbed to over 10,000$. i wasnt given details on it all mind you other then that these cars have expensive replacement parts  <_<

adjuster will be going to the body shop either monday or tuesday to review the damages, the car and asses whether or not it is worth the fix.

the night of the accident i honestly didnt think that it would be that much to fix the car, maybe 5k or so but nothing like they are saying. what do you guys think????
[right][snapback]275212[/snapback][/right]

Hidden damage ... it's what you don't see that costs. Still doesn't sound like enough for a write off.

Just out of curiosity - why not a Ford dealer ... if it was me, I'd get it fixed by the only shop you can be absolutely sure will use OEM parts ... the more extensie the damage the more important it is that you have confidence in the shop, and know that they will stand behind the repair.

Notwithstanding Daniel's experience, and based on my own with a couple of accidents in the past, the only place I will get collision repairs done is at a factory dealership.

If it's the insurance company pick ... all the more reason to be suspicious - they don't have the right or the legal standing to demand that you take your car anywhere ... the choice is entirely yours.
Start picking up a copy of the Auto Trader. 10k might be a little too much to stomach. Good luck with this whole fiasco.
I can tell you at least based on the looking around I did so far that Atlantic Autobody (The dealership used by Dixie Ford) seems to have done an outstanding job on the visable parts, only one thing was replaced with a non-OEM part, the right front wheel, which was probably a salvage wheel, but it looks the same as the other three so meh...

Don't let the insurance company bully you into taking it where THEY want you to go. I got the hue & cry from my insurance company when I had it towed to Atlantic, you would think I was killing kittens <_<

NefCanuck
you should take it to Colony Ford here in Brampton, you'd have your car back in a week, and they'd replace all your aftermarket stuff like they did on my car after my sister hit a snowbank.

I highly doubt it cost $10,000 or more.
the problem is, with my insurance company, they give you three body shops to take it to in the area i live in (cambridge). had i chose my body shop, i would end up paying up front and being reimbured (not gunna happen). my father was the one dealing with them so he picked one he had heard the most about (good) from our co workers etc. he chose golden triangle. i talked to him about the exact amount so far, as it is 10,800$. if they choose to fix it body wise, we then want full mechanical inspection done as we suspect when the car spun, and the went backwards there is the potential of the motor being spun backwards as i cannot remember whether or not the clutch was even touched altho i do know the car was off when it stopped. you also have to look at it from the insurance perspective. 10 month old ford focus se with 34xxx kms on the clock. it has new car insurance so there is also only new parts going onto the car so theres no worries about that as i have talked to "Ed" at golden triangle about that. personally there is 2 body shops i would have preferred, but at this point in time, i dont really care because i wont sign a damn thing until i have driven the car with some1 following me and without going over it with a fine tooth comb. all in all, there was more then meets the eye with it all
well either or your car will have major structural damage to it, and if it was me I'd deal it in If I got the car back, because once a car has been damaged structrally if your hit in the same spot again your car will more or less be less useful in an collision next time around.

I can tell you right now that if your car has indeed hit your insurance company's magic number mark (usually about 1/2 the value of the car plus milage factors on greatly here) they will wright it off. also I'm asuming your car is a 2007 ? if it is your car might also be factored into the " it's the previous body style model" thought as it would not be a 2008+. If you have something in your policy with your insurance about new car replacement, go with that as you'd have pease of mind of having a car replaced with no structrual damage.

I can tell you that a 2007 Focus at my work with the same milage would be about max 11,000 at auction, and it would have to be loaded.
ya i agree with you on every point. its an 07 with new car insurance. so basically what that clause in the insurance does is, in a claim where the car is written off, i will get in return the cost of replacement not including special deals etc. minus the 500$ deductable. in the event of the insurance fixing it, all new parts are to be used on the car. this clause stays in effect for the first 2 years of purchasing a new vehicle. i personally do not want to have a car that will be giving me problems in the future. i know with the methods used today they can do just about anything, but resale value and safety are some of my concerns. as for the works not being able to guarantee it, since it is going through the insurance body shop, they give it a lifetime guarantee... my question is, who's life time? lol
when i wrote my focus off last year, it had a little front end damage, and not much in the rear, but because i was hit from behind and both rear quarter panels had kinks in them, they wrote the car off, mainly because of the damage to the frame ... i don't know how bad yours is but if you see anything like that or there is any frame damage its almost a guaranteed writeoff ... focus' are so cheap there basically throw-away cars
im just surprised at how much its going to cost to fix. o well. i will know monday or tuesday what is going on. in the mean time i have been out "shopping" for some cars to see what i like in the event of a write off. so far the car i mainly have my eye on is a 2005 Saab 9-2x aero. basically a WRX wagon, same drivetrain etc. beautiful car tho. other then that, i havent really found much that tickles my fancy. im thinking of stepping up into something a little more luxury since im going to be getting back a good chunk for a down payment. time will tell.
I know some insurance companies will pay you for the replacement cost if its a write off. So you might be getting the full price paid for the car or the replacement cost for a brand new focus.

My insurance had that for 2yrs for brand new cars. Look into that as well.
+1 on the Saab 92X Aero. Bought one back in May, I enjoy the car greatly.
Aka,Oct 26 2008, 11:45 AM Wrote:+1 on the Saab 92X Aero. Bought one back in May, I enjoy the car greatly.
[right][snapback]275277[/snapback][/right]

i have to agree....nice car
mo_focus,Oct 26 2008, 10:35 AM Wrote:I know some insurance companies will pay you for the replacement cost if its a write off. So you might be getting the full price paid for the car or the replacement cost for a brand new focus.

My insurance had that for 2yrs for brand new cars. Look into that as well.
[right][snapback]275275[/snapback][/right]

thats the insurance that i have on the car :) so they will give me full replacement value of the car, or original list price of it. likely the best insurance you can put on a new car.

i also plan on taking a saab for a test drive. i will know tomorrow or tuesday about the status of the car so from then on im either shopping for cars or hoping i get my car back asap
:D turns out, they are planning on fixing the car, so thats the good news.

the bad news is that their time line to start off puts it complete around the end of november :blink: :o :ph34r: :angry:.... so much for getting some time in the car b4 it starts to snow :( o well, once its back ill drive it for a week to make sure everything is up to par and make sure everything is checked out etc. as i find more out i will update
good job paint the mirror caps while its in the shop. Or see if you can add anything while the cars in the shop.
im kinda sad that you won't be getting Saabaru now :(
lol i was kinda looking forward to shopping for a new car/getting AWD and boost, but on the other hand, i just love my focus to much. as for getting anything off the car while its in there.... i doubt thats going to happen but ill try lol. i have all winter because a week after i get it back it will be stored. i want to have it for a week so that i can make sure there are no kinks and everything is good before it gets put away. i will definately be doing a lot this winter. possibly building my suspension or saving up for SVT brake conversion. i seem to spend way to much of my money on this thing haha. stupid dad refused me getting a rental tho :( altho odds are because of my age i wouldnt be able to get one anyways, because thats happened before.
It's good news they're going to fix it? I thought that was bad news?
Pages: 1 2