FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Warranty Question. Re:mods.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey Guys,

Just curious what you know about the Ford warranty and what mods will/will not affect it. I got my 07' new in Jan 08' and I've only got 20k on it so I still have full warranty coverage.

Specifically I'm looking into getting a Steeda SRI in the near future.

Thanks!
-George
Scourge,Oct 16 2008, 10:31 PM Wrote:Hey Guys,

Just curious what you know about the Ford warranty and what mods will/will not affect it.  I got my 07' new in Jan 08' and I've only got 20k on it so I still have full warranty coverage.

Thanks!
-George
[right][snapback]274763[/snapback][/right]

Mine is an '07 too ... I've had a bit of warranty work done to my car (at two different Ford dealerships) and they haven't seemed to care about the lowered suspension, the heavier sway bars or the MBRP exhaust - and one of my warranty repairs was a replacement steering rack which I sweated a bit because of the suspension work.

Other than the exhaust my approach to performance mods was to go stealth and reversible ... ie: XCal2 - the SRI probably wouldn't cause any problems with the warranty, but on the other hand if you suffered any kind of problem that could be blamed on "poor filtering" you'd be SOL, because if Ford denies a warranty claim you essentially have no recourse.

What I did was balance the reward I'd get from the mod to the risk associated with the repair of a related part that might be deemed out of warranty because of the mod.

I have more to add, but not in this forum ... we can chat Saturday morning.
ZTWsquared,Oct 17 2008, 12:15 AM Wrote:
Scourge,Oct 16 2008, 10:31 PM Wrote:Hey Guys,

Just curious what you know about the Ford warranty and what mods will/will not affect it.  I got my 07' new in Jan 08' and I've only got 20k on it so I still have full warranty coverage.

Thanks!
-George
[right][snapback]274763[/snapback][/right]

Mine is an '07 too ... I've had a bit of warranty work done to my car (at two different Ford dealerships) and they haven't seemed to care about the lowered suspension, the heavier sway bars or the MBRP exhaust - and one of my warranty repairs was a replacement steering rack which I sweated a bit because of the suspension work.

Other than the exhaust my approach to performance mods was to go stealth and reversible ... ie: XCal2 - the SRI probably wouldn't cause any problems with the warranty, but on the other hand if you suffered any kind of problem that could be blamed on "poor filtering" you'd be SOL, because if Ford denies a warranty claim you essentially have no recourse.

What I did was balance the reward I'd get from the mod to the risk associated with the repair of a related part that might be deemed out of warranty because of the mod.

I have more to add, but not in this forum ... we can chat Saturday morning.
[right][snapback]274766[/snapback][/right]

Well that sounds promising. I sent off an email to Ford Canada last night asaking about it. We'll see what they come back with.

-George
They will prob say buy it and instal it at a dealership and it will still be covered by warranty
ZX3_2NV,Oct 17 2008, 08:54 AM Wrote:They will prob say buy it and instal it at a dealership and it will still be covered by warranty
[right][snapback]274771[/snapback][/right]

True - they will probably say that ... but I think the acid test is if Ford racing sells a comparable part ... even if the part you install doesn't come from Ford it's pretty hard to argue that an aftermarket type part should void the warranty if they sell and warranty such a part themselves.
They will and then when 60K comes around they will turn you away with out even getting in the car lol. Bastards.
I've had one thing under warentee denied from Ford, it was related to the Hella headlights being on my car back when I bought it, more or less the headlights malfunctioned badly, and fried my cars complete wiring harness from the lights to the fuse box under the hood, and it was a costly repair.

when it comes to warentee issues on things you've put into the car poorly or half assed, then they will more then likely deny you your clam, otherwise they seem not to care so much if it's done correctly.
i've got quite a few mods on my fofo as well as in the interior, i had the cluster go at the show/shine but when i took it to ford they fixed it no questions even after seeing the gauges and stuff.

keep in mind ford by law cannot deny warranty work on anything unless they can prove that the mod was the cause of the malfunction. so if your wheel fell off they can't go, "oh well you have an intake/exhaust so we can't fix it"
agree with spinal

plus its just the intake if something goes wrong and you think it may be related take it off and put the stock stuff back theyll never know :P
I've got an electronic buzz that's linked the the revs of the engine coming from the alternator side of the engine, as far as I can tell. I took it in, they blamed it on my Steeda SRI vibrating or the Focus Sport Strut bar transferring the vibration harmonics. I picked up my car and it was like nothing was done. I had to pull the strut bar and reinstall the stock airbox to prove to them it wasn't those items. Arrrrrrrrgh! Sometimes I think the mechanics are just f'n lazy and it just easier to blame it on the mods than do their job and find the damn noise. Now I have to book another day, inconvenience my wife again because of their lazy attitude. I may not know a ton about cars but I knew for a fact it's more like an alternator or ignition module noise or something, definately not a vibration.