FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Jrsc Installation Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So here's what I've done with the track car to date:

1) New SVT suspension
2) New SVT brakes front and rear
3) New t-stat housing and rad
4) New 22mm RSB and new 2010 RLCAs
5) New clutch master cylinder
6) OE F-SVT exhaust modified to be used as ZX3 catback
7) Energy Suspension lower engine / tranny mount
8) Little crap things like new ignitiion lock cylinder, hatch struts, antenna base, headlights, fender liner, etc etc

So now it's time to install the rest of the track package:

1) JRSC s/c with BBK
2) AEM water meth kit
3) Torsen LSD
4) Spec Stage 2 clutch
5) AEM wideband
6) AEM oil and water temp gauges
7) AEM boost gauge

Here's what my mechanic is suggesting: that we drop the engine and transmission - do all the work that we can while they're off the car - put them back up and finish it off.

Two questions:

What do you think of that idea - and how much could I do before I have to put the engine/tranny back?

If I go this route, what else should I do in the way of preventative maintenance? For example, I have a new idler pulley, gasket and serpentine belt for the s/c ... and I have new idler and tensioner pulleys for the engine ... should I be thinking of new a new clutch slave cylinder ... water pump ... oil cooler ... ?

All on-topic input is most welcome.

Thanks guys.
Not sure how far you're off on your timing belt.
Adjustable Cam gears would be nice to play around with timing when tuning comes
what are you running for header/flex pipe?

I really-really recommend oil coller. I'm looking to get one installed on my car.
Give you ability to run car longer and safer out on the track

any short shifter ideas? Stiffer engine mount?
NikiterZTS,Apr 25 2010, 01:37 PM Wrote:Not sure how far you're off on your timing belt.
Adjustable Cam gears would be nice to play around with timing when tuning comes
what are you running for header/flex pipe?

I really-really recommend oil coller. I'm looking to get one installed on my car.
Give you ability to run car longer and safer out on the track

any short shifter ideas? Stiffer engine mount?
[right][snapback]305840[/snapback][/right]
Thanks Nik ... timing belt good idea ... adjustable cam gears might come with this winter's engine build, but thinking more in terms of preventative maintenance right now.

I edited my op to show the OE F-SVT exhaust I'm using as Zetec cat-back - I have to be careful because at Calabogie they do sound measurements and if you're a hair over 93 db they don't let you on the track.

I have an SVT header ready to go on, but I'm not comfortable with my cat choices atm, so I won't be doing any further exhaust mods for the time being.

I also added to my list the Energy Suspension lower motor mount I already put on.
Well as far a installation of everything goes, with engine out you could essentially install everything and put it back in AFAIK.

JRSC takes place of IM so no issue there. everything should install with motor out no problem. as far as header goes, using stock SVT header and exhaust shouldnt be to loud? i wouldnt assume so anyhow as they likely run stock SVTs there. The clutch slave cylinder would be good to do aswell while all the work is being done. another thing to do is get oil and water temp sending units installed along with it out, makes life a little easier.

with it out also run your wiring through firewall for wideband, all hoses for other gauges aswell. will make it easier for that to not having to work around an engine and tie them up at the fire wall so they dont get damaged on re installation. then just run to desired location and hook em up when motor is in.

while your at it however, you should go ahead and do all 3 engine mounts. since its a track car and not really a DD they can be of benefit to you reducing your engine movement. im contemplating this for my car even being a DD.
From what I remember, it was pretty tight fit, but other than relocating the power steering reservoir and fiddling with the alternator, the install was accomplished without moving the engine or transmission and just with the car up on jacks.

However, if you are also doing clutch work than it may be easier to pull everything out.
dBlast,Apr 26 2010, 09:22 AM Wrote:From what I remember, it was pretty tight fit, but other than relocating the power steering reservoir and fiddling with the alternator, the install was accomplished without moving the engine or transmission and just with the car up on jacks.

However, if you are also doing clutch work than it may be easier to pull everything out.
[right][snapback]305871[/snapback][/right]
Theoretically it seems like it would be easier to remove the engine etc first ... do all the stuff Jamie mentioned, install the LSD and clutch ... and of course the s/c ... my one fear of course is that with the s/c installed the engine wouldn't fit back up there, and then I'm faced with something of a de-install and then doing it all under the hood anyway.

So ... whoever might have removed a Zetec engine - did you have to remove the intake first, or no.

Thanks.
Ken you need to take the exhaust header off and the motor should come out with transmission, this will give you lots of room to bring it forward and out.

I would change timing belt, timing belt tensioner, water pump, and get a 180 degrees thermostat. Powder coat your headers. Motor mounts well I have no movement under the hood and shifts better with them installed.....but your car will shake from the stiff mounts, so im sure you know what a muscle car feels like with a big block when its idoling. Cam gears no point right now, but you should look into a oil cooler and get a oil catch can. Spark plugs one step colder and get the gator back accessory belt from Parts Source.