FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: One Big Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A friend at my work has just bought a 06 ZTW.
Her husband drives it. What are the big, and little differences between the 00-04 and 05-07 Focus?
oldeguy,Oct 15 2008, 09:33 AM Wrote:A friend at my work has just bought a 06 ZTW.
Her husband drives it.  What are the big, and little differences between the 00-04 and 05-07 Focus?
[right][snapback]274585[/snapback][/right]

Engine: Zetec/Duratec (05-current)
Body: new interior and exterior.
Suspension: Different front springs.

Other then that not a lot of changes that I know of.
Duratec motor. Good power. Good fuel economy. I think it has an IMRC like the SPI does, ztec didn't have one.
Suspension is revamped. Different springs and shocks.
Body is totally different.
Most replacement parts are only provided by the OEM. I'm having difficulty finding some aftermarket parts (specifically MAF sensor).
One additional thing, from 06+ even the single disc CD player had MP3 capability. Previous to this only multi CD units had it, in the previous bodystyle it was the high end Blaupunkt sourced head units only but as of '05 any multi-disc unit also had MP3 read capability (yes, I'm a geek, deal :D )

NefCanuck
Only 05/ May and newer has the differnet shocks.
Front end(headlights,fenders,hood,bumper)
Front brakes are bigger.
Completely different and hard to get other than dealer radiator system
Interior(dash,stereo,color options)
And obviously the engine and ECU/wire harnesses
oldeguy,Oct 15 2008, 09:33 AM Wrote:A friend at my work has just bought a 06 ZTW.
Her husband drives it.  What are the big, and little differences between the 00-04 and 05-07 Focus?
[right][snapback]274585[/snapback][/right]

Everyone's pretty much covered the major differences ... but to keep the nomenclature clear, only the 00-04 were called ZTW which referenced the high-end trim level on the wagon - comparable to the ZTS sedan.

For 05+ they changed the nomenclature to be consistent with the rest of the lineup ... wagon models were called ZXW, comparable to ZX3/4/5 ... and then trim levels were indicated by the same SE and SES as the sedan.

So bottom line: ZXW does not necessarily indicate the high trim level as ZTW would.

Also: 04 will not have rear seat heat ducts, 05+ does.
Oscar The Grouch,Oct 15 2008, 09:51 AM Wrote:Duratec motor.  Good power.  Good fuel economy.  I think it has an IMRC like the SPI does, ztec didn't have one.
Suspension is revamped.  Different springs and shocks.
Body is totally different.
Most replacement parts are only provided by the OEM.  I'm having difficulty finding some aftermarket parts (specifically MAF sensor).
[right][snapback]274587[/snapback][/right]

Pretty sure that only the Duratec 23 had the VICS which would require the IMRC ... I believe that in the Duratec 23 it is a vacuum operated system, unlike the electronic system in the V6 that failed on a regular basis.
^^ Yeah, no variable intake runners on the Duratec 20.

I didn't know that the 23 had it, so that's three motors in the Focus at some point that did - the SPI, the SVT Zetec and the Duratec 23.

As a point of interest, the Duratec 30 in the Escape has it (all years).
So does the 06 have a choice of two Duratecs?
oldeguy,Oct 15 2008, 12:35 PM Wrote:So does the 06 have a choice of two Duratecs?
[right][snapback]274613[/snapback][/right]
Kind of ... the ST had the Duratec 23 and manual only ... the rest had Duratec 20.
ZTWsquared,Oct 15 2008, 12:45 PM Wrote:
oldeguy,Oct 15 2008, 12:35 PM Wrote:So does the 06 have a choice of two Duratecs?
[right][snapback]274613[/snapback][/right]
Kind of ... the ST had the Duratec 23 and manual only ... the rest had Duratec 20.
[right][snapback]274619[/snapback][/right]
Sorry, the guy has a Wagon.
So he has the 2.0L Duratec (Duratec 20).