FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Bought A 2005 Ses
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Well ended up buying the 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SES fully loaded with 75,000 kms on it from Campbell Ford .. Lease return, was in great condition, 6CD/MP3, Sunroof, Leather/Heated Seats, 5 years of oil changes .. Paid $9550 + taxes for it ..

We probably could have bargained a bit more but she really liked it and didn't want to loose it .. Asked them to give it a nice cleaning inside and out before delivery on Thursday ..

Thanks for all the help guys smile.gif ..
sunny,Oct 14 2008, 03:26 AM Wrote:Hey guys,

I am looking at used cars under 10k and I was wondering how the 2004 Focus' are ?

I can get a 2004 Focus SE w/ 38,000 kms, new front brakes, oil change very 6k, winter tires for around $8k (maybe even lower if i bargain more) ..

I've heard some bad things about Focus reliability .. would you recommend a Focus ?

thanks !
[right][snapback]274510[/snapback][/right]

reliability they are good more so if the car has the Zetec motor, and I can tell you that as I have a 2001 with 226,000kms on it and I've never had a major issue with it other then with aftermarket headlights.

no complaints on an '02 with 200,000+km.
Most issues I've had were my own doing.
Welcome to the site ... and yes, I would recommend a Focus - especially an '04.

Between my wife and I we are now on our 6th and 7th Focus wagon ... hers is an '04, mine an '07 ... the pair of 2000 Foci we had were subject to a few problems (mostly minor) and every one since has been better and better.

Our '04 now has over 100,000 on the clock with no major problems and it feels as tight and as solid as it did when we got it.

An '04 with just 38k is a pretty rare thing now so it's hard to tell whether or not its worth the money ... 'cause at 38k things like tires and brakes, if sitll the original, might pass a safety but will need replacement soon ... and an SE might have minimal equipment on it too ... also: as someone said before, better if it's an SE with the sport package, as that will include the better Zetec engine.

In terms of researching the vehicle make sure you do a Carfax report or similar, and with the help of a couple of members on here you might be able to get a Ford OASIS report which will detail what warranty work the car has had done since new.

Good luck and cheers.
Thanks guys, let me give you some more history on this vehicle ... The owner is a 85 yr old woman and she cant drive anymore so she's selling it .. she didn't drive a lot in the winters ..

Its a base model SE ..

Exterior:
- Paint could use a wax and polish job, I can tell it hasn't been waxed since it was bought ..
- No major rust

Interior:
- Hasn't been cleaned, so there's some stains on the cup holders

The car got new front tires to pass safety and all 4 have quite a bit of tread left.
It comes with Michelin X-Ice tires for the winters and they have lot of tread left too, as I said it wasnt driven in the winters ..

It has all servicing records from a Ford dealer and was primarily used as a shopping cart by the elderly woman.

What are the common things I should look for in a used Focus, that usually go wrong ??

thanks !
Well it $8k for a Focus with 38'000km seems good plus you get the service records ( I think its a big plus) But for a 04 base model SE it does seem a little high, now if it was 6k or 6.5k that would be a different story.
my .02
even thought the KM are fairly low the black book value is around $4000 so if you can get them anywhere around $5000-$6000 then you got a deal. I would really aim for nothing higher than a $6500 since it is almost 5 years old and base model
where did you find the black book value from ?? I used http://www.canadianblackbook.com/prv/aut...4DC39ZKL01 and it gave me a low of $5,181 and high of $6,800 ...

How much more over the black book value should I pay ? Also are all prices on AutoTrader inflated, because $8,000 is in line with what others are selling for ??
Really over $5000 I really didn't think it was that high for a sedan se but hey but the high sounds right on the ball
sunny,Oct 14 2008, 03:39 PM Wrote:where did you find the black book value from ?? I used http://www.canadianblackbook.com/prv/aut...4DC39ZKL01 and it gave me a low of $5,181 and high of $6,800 ...

How much more over the black book value should I pay ? Also are all prices on AutoTrader inflated, because $8,000 is in line with what others are selling for ??
[right][snapback]274537[/snapback][/right]

Well I could understand $8000 for a loaded model (leather, Zetec..etc) with those km's
sunny,Oct 14 2008, 03:39 PM Wrote:How much more over the black book value should I pay ? Also are all prices on AutoTrader inflated, because $8,000 is in line with what others are selling for ??
[right][snapback]274537[/snapback][/right]

Bear in mind that private sellers on Autotrader almost always have an inflated idea of the true value of their car ... and dealers have a substantial profit built into their asking price - usually more than the profit on a new car.

Dealers probably have 1,800 to 2,500 profit built into a used car with an asking price of 8-10k - I personally wouldn't purchase from a dealer for anything less than 800 to 1000 off their asking price and I'd try hard to get more depending on how bad I wanted the car.

Negotiating hard with an 85 year old grandmother may not be quite as easy.

Good luck.
haha its her grandson selling the car and he said he's flexible on the price .. lets see ..
sunny,Oct 14 2008, 01:57 PM Wrote:What are the common things I should look for in a used Focus, that usually go wrong ??

thanks !
[right][snapback]274528[/snapback][/right]

For the 2004 model I should point out, the rear seat heater ducts are missing on all 2004 model focus for some strange reason. Ford deleted them that year without telling anyone about it, so you should visit a scrap yard for the missing heater ducts that fit under the floor consule, otherwise come winter you'll be wondering why the consule feels extremely hot when it shouldn't be.

Also, all 2000 - 2004 Focus models are inner changeable for parts across all models, but the rear doors, and rear bumpers, except for the hatch(s) bumpers.
Hey guys, How do I know if its a Zetec or SPI motor in the car ?

EDIT: ah the base model comes with the 2.0 SPI/CVH motor .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_CVH_engine ... hmmm ... doesn't sound very reliable (timing belt issues, sludge)
Pop the hood, or a quick guesstimate is if it has Fogs it has a Zetec but even if it doesn't have fogs theres a slight chance it might still have a Zetec and if it doesn't have a SPI keep looking thats way over priced
sunny,Oct 15 2008, 12:21 AM Wrote:Hey guys, How do I know if its a Zetec or SPI motor in the car ?

EDIT: ah the base model comes with the 2.0 SPI/CVH motor .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_CVH_engine ... hmmm ... doesn't sound very reliable (timing belt issues, sludge)
[right][snapback]274577[/snapback][/right]

Two easy ways to know ... check the VIN ... if the 8th character is a "P", then its SPI, if it's a "3" it's a Zetec ... they are also very different looking and the Zetec says "Zetec" right on one of the valve covers.
Assuming its a SPI, should I just offer him $6.5k ?

Also would I be able to get a 2005 Focus SES for around $8k ? I see some on sale for $10k at dealerships .. so I should be able to bargain ..
I don't think your understanding the SPI is not worth $6500 honestly Im not sure where ur looking but I can find a way better deal than that in the auto trader
oh I did understand that its not a great engine .. just wondering what its worth ..

Anyways I am going to start looking at 2005 SE's .. If I am right the 2005 SE uses the same engine as the Mazda 3 2.0, right ?
sunny,Oct 15 2008, 06:33 PM Wrote:oh I did understand that its not a great engine .. just wondering what its worth ..

Anyways I am going to start looking at 2005 SE's .. If I am right the 2005 SE uses the same engine as the Mazda 3 2.0, right ?
[right][snapback]274654[/snapback][/right]

Almost the same ... the Mazda version has variable valve timing (VVT) which gives it IIRC about 10 more HP.
Pages: 1 2 3