FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ford Playing With Radars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ford unveils radar-based Collision Warning with Brake Support system

[Image: collwarning_opt.jpg]

Just a day after unveiling its innovative and controversial MyKey system, Ford has come back with another piece of new technology, this time safety related, that will start appearing on some 2009 models. It's called Collision Warning with Brake Support, and it uses the radar system that makes Adaptive Cruise Control possible to detect what's in front of the car. If the system senses contact with something might happen, most likely another car, it will at first sound an audible alarm and activate a warning light. At the same time it will "precharge" the brakes and activate a brake-assist function in case the driver needs to slam on the brakes. While Ford doesn't give the details about what's exactly happening, it sounds as if this radar system will monitor the distance between your Ford and what's in front of you, and if a collision is deemed imminent will effectively get the brakes ready for a panic stop. We're told the technology will begin on appearing on select Ford and Lincoln models for 2009, along with other radar-based technologies like the aforementioned Adaptive Cruise Control that debuted on the 2009 Lincoln MKS and BLIS, a blind spot warning system. Check out video of the Collision Warning with Brake Support after the jump along with Ford's official press release.

More Radar Technology
I like that
I know Audi has that on their A8's

Pretty near feture
brake assistance will be STANDARD soon. That's gonna save a lot of the fender bender accidents
cornflakes,Oct 11 2008, 02:39 PM Wrote:brake assistance will be STANDARD soon.  That's gonna save a lot of the fender bender accidents
[right][snapback]274426[/snapback][/right]

it's already a standard feature on most Mercedes products, and the highest models of lexus products.
its just technology that Volvo developed for their 2007/8 S80.
the lincoln MKS has auto Cruise control...keeps you a certain distance from the car in front of you ...you can set it at a couple different distances..

This is even cooler
Focused,Oct 14 2008, 04:29 PM Wrote:the lincoln MKS has auto Cruise control...keeps you a certain distance from the car in front of you ...you can set it at a couple different distances..

This is even cooler
[right][snapback]274561[/snapback][/right]

That is very cool I wish my Jeep did that i always get mad when people infront of me flexuate there speeds and Im sitting there playing with the cruise control