FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ditched The Roof Racks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A minor thing, I know but I prefer the new look. Wasn't sure what to do with the holes so I put the screws back in and painted them with touch up paint. Hopefully the paint will seal the screws and not let any moisture in. They need a second coat but not bad for now.

I will ask you to excuse the dirt and I still need to get rid of the marks left behind by the rubber on the racks.

[Image: noracks.jpg]

[Image: screw.jpg]
im not gonna lie I really don't mind the roof rack, but good job on the touch up paint
Clean job.
Nice, did you run a small bead of RTV to seal the bolt? Did your bolts bottom out on the frame and pop up the roof metal?

I've had my rack off for a couple years now, if anything, it makes sweeping the snow off easier.

A rear spoiler will complete the look.

j3rt,Oct 6 2008, 04:43 PM Wrote:Nice, did you run a small bead of RTV to seal the bolt?  Did your bolts bottom out on the frame and pop up the roof metal?

I've had my rack off for a couple years now, if anything, it makes sweeping the snow off easier.

A rear spoiler will complete the look.
[right][snapback]273982[/snapback][/right]

I was gonna RTV it but then it would make the painting difficult as there is a metal piece that the screw screws into that is visible and the RTV gets dirty after a while. I am hoping the second coat of paint will seal it enough.

The screws were not too long.

If by spoiler you mean a rear "lip". Then yes, I do think that would look good.
I think he means something coming off the roof line
I meant that I put a small amount on the threads of the bolt, just to keep things water tight. Wiped up any that squeezed out.

Can't seem to find any decent wagon/estate spoiler pics to throw up here.
Well i now have another project to add to doing my fogs and rear springs tomorrow :D

SWEET!!
I've always lamented the fact that the only Focus that had roofracks was the wagon - I always wanted them for my ZX5.

Having said that, your removal mod looks really sweet and "lowers" the car nicely. Good job! :)
Lookin' good! That sets it a little more apart from the other silver wagon I've been seeing in town... :D
reldridge,Oct 7 2008, 12:09 PM Wrote:Lookin' good! That sets it a little more apart from the other silver wagon I've been seeing in town... :D
[right][snapback]274059[/snapback][/right]

I've seen 2 in town. Next spring when I put on my painted stock alloy rims (not sure which colour yet) I will definitely be different from them.
:D

looks good, you should do the rear lunchbox delete next, cheap yet very effective.
Spinal,Oct 7 2008, 06:47 PM Wrote:looks good, you should do the rear lunchbox delete next, cheap yet very effective.
[right][snapback]274100[/snapback][/right]

Enlighten me please. I know not of this lunchbox you speak of.
heelchain,Oct 7 2008, 08:18 PM Wrote:
Spinal,Oct 7 2008, 06:47 PM Wrote:looks good, you should do the rear lunchbox delete next, cheap yet very effective.

[right][snapback]274109[/snapback][/right]

It's the second "lunch box" shaped muffler just before the tail pipe. The first main muffler is ahead of the rear wheels. Some people have cut this "lunch box" out and replaced it with just a pipe to give a louder growl instead of replacing the whole exhaust with an aftermarket one.

Here is a thread about this topic:

lunch box delete
dBlast,Oct 7 2008, 10:18 PM Wrote:
heelchain,Oct 7 2008, 08:18 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]274109[/snapback][/right]

It's the second "lunch box" shaped muffler just before the tail pipe. The first main muffler is ahead of the rear wheels. Some people have cut this "lunch box" out and replaced it with just a pipe to give a louder growl instead of replacing the whole exhaust with an aftermarket one.

Here is a thread about this topic:

lunch box delete
[right][snapback]274112[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for the link. I will definitely think about it.