FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ontario: Crack Down On Seatbelt Use
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ontario cracks down on seatbelt use
Oct. 1. 2008

Toronto, Ontario - The Ontario government is reminding motorists that seatbelt safety blitzes and child safety seat inspection clinics will be held across the province during the first two weeks of October to remind drivers and passengers to buckle up and make sure children are safely secured.

Local police, fire, emergency medical services, public health units and volunteer organizations will spread the word that seatbelts, child safety seats and booster seats save lives. Failing to wear a seatbelt makes you about 38 times more likely to be killed in a crash than if you did buckle up.

Ontario law requires that every occupant in a motor vehicle must be buckled in properly, and that children under age 16 are correctly secured in the appropriate child safety seat, booster seat or seatbelt.
It's almost sad that not only is a law required to "make" people wear seatbelts, but that we have to spend tax dollars making sure they do.

It never ceases to amaze and disgust me how many times I see kids in cars (and especially minivans) that are obviously not buckled in - at least here in Brampton.

As a dad I felt compelled for a while to say something to the parents ... after too many times being told to f*** off and mind my own business I gave up ... it's sad but I guess over time Darwinian selection will take care of it to some degree.

Frost__2001,Oct 1 2008, 05:03 PM Wrote:Ontario cracks down on seatbelt use
Oct. 1. 2008

Toronto, Ontario - The Ontario government is reminding motorists that seatbelt safety blitzes and child safety seat inspection clinics will be held across the province during the first two weeks of October to remind drivers and passengers to buckle up and make sure children are safely secured.

Local police, fire, emergency medical services, public health units and volunteer organizations will spread the word that seatbelts, child safety seats and booster seats save lives. Failing to wear a seatbelt makes you about 38 times more likely to be killed in a crash than if you did buckle up.

Ontario law requires that every occupant in a motor vehicle must be buckled in properly, and that children under age 16 are correctly secured in the appropriate child safety seat, booster seat or seatbelt.

[right][snapback]273693[/snapback][/right]
Couldn't agree more with you ZTW. When we were kids, the car would NOT MOVE until my Dad was satisfied that everyone was buckled up. No exceptions. EVER.

Common sense seems to be a rare commodity these days...
speakin of this, today i was in a rush to get to another call during work while i was in brantford, hopped in the van and was so stressed about how late i was i forgot to put my belt on, hoped on the 403 and got off at king george road, next thing i know theres 2 cops there checking 4 belts. to add insult to injury, i had left my wallet on my desk with my license because i was in such a rush to get out the door as i was held up with a customer. lesson learned to take an extra 30 seconds and now i have a 110$ fine along with 2 points :( o well, just bad timing i guess. altho the fact that they have to do these blitz runs even for childrens seats is nuts, what kind of parent doesnt properly secure their child safely in the car? i know when i was younger it was the same, never turn the car on until all seatbelts were buckled.
My thought on this subject, people who don't buckle themselves or their kids up deserve to die plain and simple.
Focus man, Focus.,Oct 2 2008, 09:12 AM Wrote:My thought on this subject, people who don't buckle themselves or their kids up deserve to die plain and simple.
[right][snapback]273708[/snapback][/right]

X2. I'm all for Darwinism but until the age of 9-10 or more, kids are largely removed from the responsibility of buckling up as far as I am concerned. PARENTS should show just a tad bit of concern for the health and welfare of their kids at least until that age.

We never moved, either, until all belts were done up. Anyone getting in my truck has to have their belt on or I don't move. Safety, what a crazy idea eh?
NOS2Go4Me,Oct 2 2008, 08:36 AM Wrote:
Focus man, Focus.,Oct 2 2008, 09:12 AM Wrote:My thought on this subject, people who don't buckle themselves or their kids up deserve to die plain and simple.

X2. I'm all for Darwinism but until the age of 9-10 or more, kids are largely removed from the responsibility of buckling up as far as I am concerned. PARENTS should show just a tad bit of concern for the health and welfare of their kids at least until that age.

We never moved, either, until all belts were done up. Anyone getting in my truck has to have their belt on or I don't move. Safety, what a crazy idea eh?
[right][snapback]273709[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, not the kids. They are the innocent victims. But the parents need to be launched through the windshield and splattered all over the pavement.
Focus man, Focus.,Oct 2 2008, 09:12 AM Wrote:My thought on this subject, people who don't buckle themselves or their kids up deserve to die plain and simple.[right][snapback]273708[/snapback][/right]

Harsh. They deserve a lesson learned, but not to die. :rolleyes:
Focus man, Focus.,Oct 2 2008, 01:12 PM Wrote:My thought on this subject, people who don't buckle themselves or their kids up deserve to die plain and simple.

true enough, but the problem is the fact asswipes get injured and go thru insurance for a Mil. so in a way we all pay for it!

They should find a way to deny your coverage if you are not wearing your seatbelt!
mo_focus,Oct 2 2008, 02:18 PM Wrote:true enough, but the problem is the fact asswipes get injured and go thru insurance for a Mil. so in a way we all pay for it!

They should find a way to deny your coverage if you are not wearing your seatbelt!
[right][snapback]273720[/snapback][/right]
I think there's a lot of merit to this idea in terms of health care coverage ... and the insurance companies could also increase the deductible if you're involved in an accident and not wearing seatbelt.
We got eyeballed yesterday on one access ramp from a main road to a "highway", even though it's a larger 5-lane roadway at that point. He was definitely looking to make sure we were wearing our belts, but he was doing a perfect "Lurch" impression at the same time. I cracked up while looking at him as I drove by.

He wasn't impressed! :lol: :lol:
Raising the deductible or denying covergae if your in an accident without your seat belt are great ideas if you get hurt its your fault isn't it
ZX3_2NV,Oct 3 2008, 10:12 AM Wrote:Raising the deductible or denying covergae if your in an accident without your seat belt are great ideas if you get hurt its your fault isn't it
[right][snapback]273797[/snapback][/right]

The problem with that idea is proving lack of seatbelt use, unless the accident was so traumatic as to cause the person to bounce around the cabin (or worse yet be ejected) there's almost no way to prove a lack of seatbelt use.

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Oct 3 2008, 01:52 PM Wrote:
ZX3_2NV,Oct 3 2008, 10:12 AM Wrote:Raising the deductible or denying covergae if your in an accident without your seat belt are great ideas if you get hurt its your fault isn't it

The problem with that idea is proving lack of seatbelt use, unless the accident was so traumatic as to cause the person to bounce around the cabin (or worse yet be ejected) there's almost no way to prove a lack of seatbelt use.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]273811[/snapback][/right]

Actually there is. All cars since about 1992 have been built with a tiny little black box in them that moniter the car's air bag system. They only record about 4 things, the speed, seatbelt use, and how many air bags went off. Volvo for example uses those to improve their cars if a Volvo car has been in an accident with-in 1000 km/s of their R & D, or Manufacturing plants in Sweden, it's how they have been at the top of the safety ratings for decades.
Frost__2001,Oct 4 2008, 09:07 AM Wrote:

NefCanuck

Actually there is. All cars since about 1992 have been built with a tiny little black box in them that moniter the car's air bag system. They only record about 4 things, the speed, seatbelt use, and how many air bags went off. Volvo for example uses those to improve their cars if a Volvo car has been in an accident with-in 1000 km/s of their R & D, or Manufacturing plants in Sweden, it's how they have been at the top of the safety ratings for decades.
[right][snapback]273844[/snapback][/right]

Ah, I was unaware that the "black box" also monitored seatbelt use :huh:

Part of me does like the idea of the black box, the other part isn't so sure because of the "Big Brother" angle...

NefCanuck
FYI; Allan ramp north from the 401 eastbound always has OPP staked out there during this blitz. They were there Friday and nearly caused an accident. Everyone hits the brakes cause there's a guy standing on the shouldere. I saw them again Saturday around noon and again at 9pm.
NefCanuck,Oct 4 2008, 03:45 PM Wrote:
Frost__2001,Oct 4 2008, 09:07 AM Wrote:

NefCanuck

[right][snapback]273844[/snapback][/right]

Ah, I was unaware that the "black box" also monitored seatbelt use :huh:

Part of me does like the idea of the black box, the other part isn't so sure because of the "Big Brother" angle...

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]273857[/snapback][/right]

thats why it only records those 4 things, and thats only when the air bags are deployed, I know with more modern system, like Ford's "Personal Safety cell" or
what every they call it, it can also record the seat position tempature, conditions, and if slipage was an issue, or in GM's case, Onstar can tell EMS how damaged the car is, where it is via GPS, how manytimes its been hit etc.. but again it's only when the car's airbag is deployed. however with ford it's not monitered unless you remove the device and have the program to look up what happened, where with Onstar you can get all that info from Onstar even before a an accident, ie. a current car status by just calling them via your car.