FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: A Flash Of Genius
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So critics are raving about this film (which usually means it will suck lol) but
is it really a true story or just some propaganda against FORD to send its stocks
tumbling further down?

It just seems so untimely that after all FORD has been doing recently to change it's image with all the cool new commercials and advertising, there's a movie that should dampen their turnaround efforts now brand Ford as the big evil company that stole an idea.

BTW i saw the new "FLEX" from FORD on the streets and it's really really sweet....i thought it was range rover at first.
It's a true story. But Ford wasn't the only manufacturer involved and there's a lot to the story that I'm not sure that the movie shows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kearns
Yaa it looks like a Ford bashing movie from the preview but hey its a true story apperntly even Henry Ford himself stole some ideas back in the day
Most Millionaires made their money doing something illegal. Whether it was petty theft or murder, they commited a crime to get their millions.
Think of where we'd all be if we had to pay someone who managed to put a patent on "the wheel". As was shown in the above link, others were working on similar wiper systems. Just like Alexander Graham Bell just barely put his patent in in time for the telephone (even THAT is disputed) before someone else did (Google "Elisha Gray").

Ideas are funny things. You know, if I see a better method of doing something at Ford, because I am a Ford employee I am not allowed to patent it?
Meh... when you're consumed by money, you lose out on your connection with the world.

It's funny how when some of the world's richest people / organizations start worrying about people and stop worrying so much about mone - they almost instantly seem more human. :)
it's interesting that people wait until a product hits critical mass before filing a patent infringement suit.

it's a smart thing to patent an idea and then protect it. Waiting a bunch of years for the product to hit critical mass and make real money off another company without having to produce said product is genius.
they have a reply to the movie on their media page, and how most events are not depicted correctly and how it makes Ford the major skape goat with very few mentioning of Dodge & Gm's roll in the true events that happend. and I quote from their own media page,

Quote:“While films like Flash of Genius are made for entertainment purposes, the facts are often less dramatic. Bob Kearns, as well as hundreds of engineers from many companies, including Ford, helped develop the intermittent wiper as part of an evolution of existing automotive and electronic components.

“While there are inaccuracies in the film, Ford sees no value in re-hashing the history of a legal case that was resolved in court almost 20 years ago, when a jury ruled that Ford did not wilfully violate Mr. Kearns’ patent.”
^^-- sour apples?
darkpuppet,Oct 1 2008, 03:12 PM Wrote:Waiting a bunch of years for the product to hit critical mass and make real money off another company without having to produce said product is genius.
[right][snapback]273684[/snapback][/right]
Pahdumbdump ... it's the American way ... just look at the history of RIM and the blackberry and the lawsuits they had to both defend and initiate to put and keep their product on the market.