FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Bird Poo And Polish/rubbing Compound Q's.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey Guys,

I had a bird crap on my car last month while I was away and I couldn't get to it to clean it off right away. Now I've been left with a subtle "etching" on the hood where the crap was. Clay bar and wax hasn't gotten rid of it, although it did clear up the haze.

I also had some jerkwad scrape something down the side of my car last week, it's not bad but my wax won't fill the scuffs completely.

I'm thinking some sort of polish or rubbing compound would help with both of these but I'm totally unexperienced with either. Anyone care to educate me?

Thanks!
-George
Unfortunately, with bird crap sitting for a while, it ususally means its etched in the clear coat for good. :(

For the scratch...

what kind of compound is it ? some are more heavier duty than others and require some care when applying. I've had some good luck with meguiars scratch x and a rotary buffer like the porter cable one.

Heavier duty stuff like tutle wax rubbing compound would work too, but you will probably need to follow up with a good paint polish and wax.

Heres some good online shops to get some really good car care products:

http://www.autogeek.net/

http://www.eshine.ca/
Hey Flofocus,

Wouldn't a rubbing compound be able to "remove" some of the clear coat down past the bird poop etching in the same way you use it for a scratch?

I haven't used any compound's to date. So far my detailing involves a thorough wash with meguiars NXT soap, clay bar as needed, and wax. I've been using "The Worlds Best Wax" heh, it's a 30% carnauba paste. I do all of my waxing by hand, but do have one of those crap tire Simonize buffers. I'd like a product I can apply by hand.

What would you recommend for a beginner? And what's the "right" way to do it?

Thanks
-George
I'd personally try some Meguiar's ScratchX on the bird poop and scratches. It has some micro-abrasives so it won't harm paint, but will remove some contaminants. It's not so much of a rubbing compound as a mildly aggressive polish. I've used it with quite a bit of success on my in-laws car before. It's pretty simple to use, and almost impossible to screw up if you follow the instructions. Rub on, work in, polish off.

What color is the car? Do you have any pictures of the damage?

Ryan
Where do you live I can take it out for you. That way you don't get hosed at a shop or some retard burns your paint with the buffer.
Scourge,Sep 25 2008, 07:09 PM Wrote:Hey Flofocus,

Wouldn't a rubbing compound be able to "remove" some of the clear coat down past the bird poop etching in the same way you use it for a scratch?

I haven't used any compound's to date.  So far my detailing involves a thorough wash with meguiars NXT soap, clay bar as needed, and wax.  I've been using "The Worlds Best Wax" heh, it's a 30% carnauba paste.  I do all of my waxing by hand, but do have one of those crap tire Simonize buffers.  I'd like a product I can apply by hand.

What would you recommend for a beginner?  And what's the "right" way to do it?

Thanks
-George
[right][snapback]273278[/snapback][/right]

Like its been mentioned, try the meguiars scratch x, great stuff and fool proof. Follow the instructions, and you cant go wrong.

With a rubbing compound you can surely remove that clearcoat, but you dont want to do that, unless you plan on getting it re-cleared.
If you want to do it by hand then get the sratch X like they all say. Plus get a bottle of Swirl Free Polish to remove the hazing of the hand rubbings and finally a bottle of Show car glaze to protect it. I've been doing it for the past 5 years professionally. Theres alot better produxts out there but those will do for what you have.
Scorcher000,Sep 30 2008, 02:16 PM Wrote:If you want to do it by hand then get the sratch X like they all say. Plus get a bottle of Swirl Free Polish to remove the hazing of the hand rubbings and finally a bottle of Show car glaze to protect it. I've been doing it for the past 5 years professionally. Theres alot better produxts out there but those will do for what you have.
[right][snapback]273618[/snapback][/right]

Yeah...scratch X wont get it out. It will get most of it out, but you will need a professional that knows how to use a buffer to get all of it out. Even then, they may recommend you get re-cleared also. Theres only so much clear coat to take off!
Thanks for the offer Scorcher, I may take you up on that. This is the first car I've owned with decent paint, so I want to take as good care of it as I can.

So as I understand it.

Clay Bar - very very mild abrasive, takes contaminants of the surface to prep for wax.

Rubbing Compund - Abrasive paste used to remove clear coat to reduce the appearance of scratches. Can leave haze.

Wax - Protective layer over the clearcoat. Enhances look and shine, repels water. Can fill very light scratches.

Polish - .... Fine abrasive brings back shine after rubbing compound?? What does a polish do/when is it used? What are some examples of products?

:blush:
Thanks!
-George
So the polish if worked into the paint properly should leave a baby smooth finish with a mirror look.
The polish smoothens out and some what soaks into the clear coat (thats why in the directions on most waxes it says safe for all clear coats).
then the Glaze will sit on top of that and give it about a 2 week protection period and makes it have that wet look to it.
Then you have the Spray Detail, great stuff doesn't wax your car just really cleans it and put a little bit a silicon on the paint.
This is where I by all of my stuff at.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/detailsupplydepot/
Look up mostly these
Malco (for the compounds, Cannot find in Canada)
- Ture Gritt
- Lite Finish
Meguiars
- Diamond Cut 2.0
- Medium Cut Cleaner
- Swirl Free Polish
- Show Car Glaze
- Final Inspection

Everyone will have a detailed description of it for you to learn all about the products how to use them and even in what order too. Ttyl let me know if you want it done.