FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Where Were You ...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In August 1989 I was in Mississauga recovering from the ass-raping my first wife's lawyer pounded on me ... it would pale in comparison to the mayhem Wife #2 would eventually introduce into my life.

I had just married Wife #2, the lovely and exotic Katherine (a Russian professional belly dancer, who I later learned was the devil incarnate) and I bought my second new house which I couldn't really afford at the time.

I needed to reward myself so I bought myself the black beauty below, which according to the salesman was the third Corrado on the road in Canada (all my cars since have been black) ... that's my story ... where were you and what were you doing in August 1989?

[Image: Corrado1.jpg]

I was 9 years old and living in St-Jean Sur Richelieu, Quebec.

Nice ride! :P Love those wheels!
I was driving around in this:

[Image: MR2.jpg]

It was the first "new" car that I had purchased in 1986. It was the first and last red car I will ever own. This car was hit twice while parked (on the same street) and the different red repairs never matched the original as they faded rapidly in the sun at different rates no matter how much I tried to wax it.

The only mods on this car was tint and wheels with lower profile tires. This car handled great right out of the box.

I had just purchased my first condo (at the peak of the market at that time) which I never even got what I paid for it when I sold it 10 years later. :(

BTW, Ken, you look like Sam Reid of the band Glass Tiger in that picture. :ph34r:
I was getting ready for my last year of High School.
Thank god thats over with!
Why don't you just rename this the Old Farts thread!

1989. I was 9 years old and rebuilding my first 350 chev engine with my pop.
I was 11 and living in Vancouver, no car yet.
I was 2 years old living in a basement appartment learning how to escape for freedom lol
Cops were called many times trying to find me, suckers didn't even know I was behind the wood paneling lol.
I was getting enjoying my last month of no schhol since I started Kindergarden in September
In August 1989 I was 22, had two girlfriends on the go (one in Halifax and one in Toronto) and was Senior Instructor to a class of about 80 Navy recruits. My rides in those days were a 1977 Plymouth Fury and a 1983 Kawasaki GPz550.
Aug. 89.. ? hmm I think that was the summer my parents decided to move to Nova Scotia to get a fresh start on things. and I had just turned 10.
Scorcher000,Sep 25 2008, 01:49 PM Wrote:I was 2 years old living in a basement appartment learning how to escape for freedom lol
Cops were called many times trying to find me, suckers didn't even know I was behind the wood paneling lol.
[right][snapback]273248[/snapback][/right]

Why dosn't that surprise me???LOL ;)
dBlast,Sep 25 2008, 12:36 PM Wrote:I was driving around in this:

[Image: MR2.jpg]

It was the first "new" car that I had purchased in 1986.  It was the first and last red car I will ever own.  This car was hit twice while parked (on the same street) and the different red repairs never matched the original as they faded rapidly in the sun at different rates no matter how much I tried to wax it.

The only mods on this car was tint and wheels with lower profile tires.  This car handled great right out of the box.

I had just purchased my first condo (at the peak of the market at that time) which I never even got what I paid for it when I sold it 10 years later. :(

BTW, Ken, you look like Sam Reid of the band Glass Tiger in that picture. :ph34r:
[right][snapback]273239[/snapback][/right]

Man I love those MR2's, was that the turbo model?
Canadian ST,Sep 25 2008, 05:21 PM Wrote:Man I love those MR2's, was that the turbo model?
[right][snapback]273273[/snapback][/right]
nope. <_<

The supercharged model came out the year after I purchased this one.

The turbo came out with the new body style in the early nineties.
I was beating the hell out of my '88 5.0 LX
I was driving around in a white one of these:

[Image: 1990-96-Oldsmobile-Cutlass-Ciera-95128211990810.jpg]

It was my first car that I purchased myself and four months later would be reduced to this thanks to a fool & his ladder:

[Image: combinedcarshots.jpg]

and gave me the lovely extra hardware I deal with to this day <_<

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Sep 25 2008, 08:03 PM Wrote:I was driving around in a white one of these:

[Image: 1990-96-Oldsmobile-Cutlass-Ciera-95128211990810.jpg]

It was my first car that I purchased myself and four months later would be reduced to this thanks to a fool & his ladder:

[Image: combinedcarshots.jpg]

and gave me the lovely extra hardware I deal with to this day <_<

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]273283[/snapback][/right]

hhhmmm........how many car accidents have you been in in your life?

in '89 i was somewhere making babies
august of 89.... well its hard to remember those days, as i was 1 month away from being born! haha
August 89?

I do remember vaguely the sound of bang bang bang.

Oh, that was her headboard.
I was getting ready to go into grade 9. I had 2 dirt bikes and was enjoying life. Thats about all I can remember. Wow that was a long time ago.

Daniel. You have no luck with cars at all. Time to trade in the licence for a transit pass.
August 89:

Personal: I was 22. Married 4 months to my first wife, no kids yet, living in an apartment in Windsor. 140 pounds, cut, hair down past my shoulders and a moustache.

Personal x2: Fighting off said wife's married best friend who wanted banged on the side and figured I was "safe" since I was married.

Work: Working in Windsor Engine Plant #1, on the major repair line. If an engine failed Hot Test I would tear it down, figure out what was wrong, and either rebuild it or disassemble it to salvage the parts. I did the equivalent of building 2-4 engines a day in an 8 hour shift.

Car: 1972 Gran Torino Sport. 351W 4V that I hand built, Crane Cam, Holly 650 double pump, ported and polished, Edelbrock timing gears and intake, forged rods, roller rockers, convert to electronic ignition; B&M transmission, 3.50 gears. Mickey Thompsons on the back on a set of Cragar 5-spoke mags.

The engine put down 350HP, which for back then getting nearly 1HP per cubic inch was pretty good. For a 4000 pound car to get 0-60 in 6s flat and pull all the way to 120MPH was incredible too. Don't forget that it only had 3 gears and no fuel injection.

Looked like this, except it was canary yellow:
[Image: 72torino-1.jpg]

I wish I still had that car; it could pass anything except a gas station and a cop with a radar gun (which is why I'll never buy a yellow car ever again.)
Pages: 1 2