FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Spi Header Club
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just joined the SPI header club yesterday by installing a zetec header custom fit for SPI and a flex pipe I bought from someone on FF.
I can't really describe what it sounds like, but my friend who installed it said it sounded like a Motocross, which is pretty much what it is. :headbang:
Here's a few pic, I'll try to post better qualities one later on.

[Image: dsc03476pj0.jpg]

[Image: dsc03480vq2.jpg]

[Image: dsc03482ts4.jpg]
Ha, well thats a first time ive seen that on a SPI, Good for you. Do you notice a differance in power?
wow are u the only member of that club? good job I bet ur spi would spank all other SPI, I would love to see you race a stock Zetec and beat him that would be quite the acomplishment
ZX3_2NV,Sep 18 2008, 01:12 PM Wrote:wow are u the only member of that club? good job I bet ur spi would spank all other SPI, I would love to see you race a stock Zetec and beat him that would be quite the acomplishment
[right][snapback]272718[/snapback][/right]

:o

Now you've started it.
Did you modify the EGR pipe going into the header ??
Canadian ST,Sep 18 2008, 10:49 AM Wrote:Ha, well thats a first time ive seen that on a SPI, Good for you. Do you notice a differance in power?
[right][snapback]272708[/snapback][/right]

Yes I've noticed power increase but not incredibly since the rest of my exhaust line is stock! But it's nice for a start!

malim,Sep 18 2008, 12:39 PM Wrote:Did you modify the EGR pipe going into the header ??
[right][snapback]272724[/snapback][/right]

Nope not yet, you can see on the pics the gold cap blocking the egr on the Header, and I blocked it off the car too for now with a 1$ metal piece. I'm still not sure wether I'll delete the EGR or make a custom fit so my CEL turns off.
ZX3_2NV,Sep 18 2008, 12:12 PM Wrote:wow are u the only member of that club? good job I bet ur spi would spank all other SPI, I would love to see you race a stock Zetec and beat him that would be quite the acomplishment
[right][snapback]272718[/snapback][/right]

i guess i will have to race him :lol:
Yeah, put a high-flow cat and a 2.25" cat-back on there and you'll be laughing. Full SPI exhaust conversions normally net 8-10 WHP on a stock motor, and more with a tune.
do they make exhaust for the spi if not you can pick up my magnaflow and modify it to fit ur needs
Any Zetec exhaust will fit the SPI. I'd recommend the MBRP, personally, as they're familiar with the SPI (they did my old car) and I know their 2.25" system mates up perfectly with the stock system. Your tweaks, depending on the overall length of the new stuff vs. the stock system, should be minimal at best.
NOS2Go4Me,Sep 19 2008, 09:43 AM Wrote:Any Zetec exhaust will fit the SPI. I'd recommend the MBRP, personally, as they're familiar with the SPI (they did my old car) and I know their 2.25" system mates up perfectly with the stock system. Your tweaks, depending on the overall length of the new stuff vs. the stock system, should be minimal at best.
[right][snapback]272788[/snapback][/right]

true a lot of exhaust kit exist for the SPI, I just don't have the money right now as I have a few things to pay for my track days! I'm ordering carbotech brake pads, new discs, and probably a set of R compound before the season ends! :rolleyes: :D
Hmmm... since it is a Zetec Race header, i figure it removes the stock cat. Have any plans for that ? High flow? Emissionsss....
malim,Sep 20 2008, 01:54 AM Wrote:Hmmm... since it is a Zetec Race header, i figure it removes the stock cat. Have any plans for that ? High flow?  Emissionsss....
[right][snapback]272835[/snapback][/right]

you're right it removes the stock cat, but here in QC you pass the SAAQ test without a cat, they don't check that.
lgSPI,Sep 22 2008, 07:52 PM Wrote:
malim,Sep 20 2008, 01:54 AM Wrote:Hmmm... since it is a Zetec Race header, i figure it removes the stock cat. Have any plans for that ? High flow?  Emissionsss....

you're right it removes the stock cat, but here in QC you pass the SAAQ test without a cat, they don't check that.
[right][snapback]273021[/snapback][/right]

luckyyyyy.......but so bad for planet Earth :ph34r:
NikiterZTS,Sep 22 2008, 08:11 PM Wrote:
lgSPI,Sep 22 2008, 07:52 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]273021[/snapback][/right]

luckyyyyy.......but so bad for planet Earth :ph34r:
[right][snapback]273022[/snapback][/right]

I know, but I'm pretty good with the earth aside from that, I seriously do take care of my enviroment, except the days I go on track! :rolleyes: I'm addicted!
Question, what kind of FLEX is that ?? A Zetec flex or an SPI ? I heard that you have to modify your stock flex with this mod.

Also how did you go abouts the sensor that's after the cat ? I think there are 3 in total in our cars.
malim,Oct 21 2008, 08:25 PM Wrote:Question, what kind of FLEX is that ?? A Zetec flex or an SPI ? I heard that you have to modify your stock flex with this mod.

Also how did you go abouts the sensor that's after the cat ? I think there are 3 in total in our cars.
[right][snapback]275001[/snapback][/right]

A Zetec flex but it's shortened a bit to fit, because on a Zetec it's a little longer.

For the o2 sensors, I have 2 and both are plugged. On the second picture (1st post) you can see on the far right one of them is plugged. And the other one you can see part of it : you see the white wire (3rd pic).
Hmm... did you have a cat initially ??? must have, because i know there is a 3rd O2 to check the condition of the gases coming out of the cat. This is done to see if the cat is functioning properly. I might be wrong though.....

Man, i am so interested in this, but a lot of fabrication. How long did it take you to modify the bolt pattern on your header ? Any special tools ?

Besides, this is GOING TO BE LOUD with an exhaust done. Last thing i need is a ticket for excessive noise. :)
^.^
malim,Oct 21 2008, 11:16 PM Wrote:Hmm... did you have a cat initially ??? must have, because i know there is a 3rd O2 to check the condition of the gases coming out of the cat. This is done to see if the cat is functioning properly. I might be wrong though.....

Man, i am so interested in this, but a lot of fabrication. How long did it take you to modify the bolt pattern on your header ? Any special tools ?

Besides, this is GOING TO BE LOUD with an exhaust done. Last thing i need is a ticket for excessive noise. :)
[right][snapback]275019[/snapback][/right]

Yes I had a cat initially. I dont remember having a 3rd o2 sensor though.

Yeah with the rest of the exhaust it should be pretty loud! I'm currently looking for one, because I found out that mine has a hole close to the resonator and it's making some noises! hehe!