FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Escape Tuning Update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been doing a lot of development tuning for my Escape with a tuner out of Florida. He's wicked, really. He just plain loves to tune cars and trucks however you want - power, economy, both! A link to his site is in my sig.

A setting for my Escape that I found as a user-adjustable option on my XCal2 (don't recall it being there for the FoFo) - Speed Limiter: OFF. :lol: :lol:

The Escape's shift scheduling and lockup schedule has been altered quite a bit and although it's far too early to boast numbers... based on the instant fuel economy/consumption gauge in the dash cluster, I'm expecting a serious increase in about-town fuel economy.

Lockup in 3rd before: 55 KM/H, not much gear holding.
Lockup in 3rd now: 50 KM/H, holds gears much longer before downshifting under increased throttle/load

Lockup in 4th before: 76-80 KM/H (including a shift from 3rd to 4th), held 3rd all the way to 76 KM/H, fairly resistant to downshifting
Lockup in 4th now: 55-60 KM/H (wicked setup), quite resistant to downshifting - you've gotta be insistent with your throttle position for a downshift, but it's easy to learn the new traits of the shift logic.

My reason for this - most of my driving in town is 50-60KM/H driving. With the stock Escape shift patterns and logic, it's quite a chore to get into the higher gears and save gas.

Now, it's intuitive for the driving I want to do 95% of the time and it won't impact my highway runs negatively either. I don't trailer yet, but this actually would let the shift detents (D, O/D off, 2, 1) act as they were meant to when needed.

I got a hold of Mike at MorePowerTuning via the help techs at SCTFlash.com when I was inquiring about the how-tos regarding re-using my old XCal2. Yeah, I got it back from Oscar. :)

He's wicked... very wicked. He's been cobbling together tune files from my LiveLink datalogging sessions in a matter of hours... on average, 2 hours from the time he gets a new log from me. He answers all my stupid quiestions and has been doing exactly what I want with the truck in terms of economy and driveability.

From the experience I've had so far, I'd definitely recommend that anyone wanting to get more out of any vehicle that can be tuned with a SCT product talk to him. His priicng is SUPER reasonable as well. Two thumbs way up. :)
Are you keeping a log on your fuel consuption? let me know how it is in the long run. Wife keeps asking about better fuel economy out of the Escape. THis might be the answer.
Heya Mo,

I will be logging once I fill the tank this Friday... I will tell you that I notice a concrete difference in fuel economy. Mind you, this isn't "Toronto" driving - jackrabbit stops and starts. It's part-throttle, fairly easy-going acceleration.

Not elderly couple on a Sunday easy-going, but not NASCAR pit lane starts either.

I'm logging in an OpenOffice Calc sheet and online at GasSavers.org.

My nick on there - "Frosty08Ltd" - I figured it was time for a change :P

That's also my nick on Escape-Central.com.

Leave me a question here or via PM if you want to know anything else, man.

Adam
Fuel went as low as 119.0 here in Ottawa's Midtown...that should help my fuel economy for at least this week if I fill it today...lol

If I wanted an fuel efficient Escape, I would have bought the Hybrid, but I can't stand the colour choices of them, and well...I'm sure you'll lose your shirt fixing one if things start going wrong with the drivetrain...
Drivesthebeast,Sep 7 2008, 09:02 AM Wrote:Fuel went as low as 119.0 here in Ottawa's Midtown...that should help my fuel economy for at least this week if I fill it today...lol

If I wanted an fuel efficient Escape, I would have bought the Hybrid, but I can't stand the colour choices of them, and well...I'm sure you'll lose your shirt fixing one if things start going wrong with the drivetrain...
[right][snapback]271779[/snapback][/right]

Ian!

My main reason for not getting a Hybrid is that I really don't believe that they'll withstand North Bay-ish winters (and colder if we go north during the winter).

The big upshot to a Hybrid would have been my 90%+ city driving (which is where hybrids excel), but again... survivability and offroading were also considerations. I'm not sold on the off-road prowess of a CVT, although technically it should be as good or better than the 4AT of the Limited.

So I figured, why not try and make the truck more fuel efficient around town? The vast majority of Escapes sold have V6s and if a few other owners get to benefit from my tuning experiences, then I'm happy to help out. :)

Plus, I swear... it's also quicker! I flogged it across the bypass coming back home during the last leg of my testing loop... and it felt stronger merging with 80+ KM/H traffic than stock.

Now all that's left is a K+N panel filter (maybe before winter) and a new exhaust (next spring). Well, that and the larger tires (a definite possibility now that I can adjust for tire revs / mile again). The tires will hurt fuel economy some, so actually I'm in the middle of rethinking that idea. The ground clearance would be nice, but now I'm not so sure I want to throw away the fuel economy percentage.

So, with a more fuel-efficient Limited... I get the best of both worlds. I'm shooting for the same city fuel economy as the 4-cyl 4WD Escape. I think I can get there :)
Sounds good dude,

I am most likely just going to change up my stock tires to some Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO's (I was gong to look at putting on 18's or 20's, but they would make the truck useless as a truck...lol) in the stock size, and might consider the Magnaflow exhaust system and a couple more tweaks too.

Right now, my biggest problems are possibly worn-out front brakes, and something is worn out or loose in the front end (sources from another escape webpage tell me it's likely a swaybar endlink or bushing related problem), both of which I want to get fixed, along with a 4-wheel alignment before the weather turns crummy.

I would like to get better fuel economy out of my truck too, but I think that I can fix that by using a lighter right foot, and keep the HVAC knobs away from the A/C settings...lol

L8tz
Add nites*** FTW.
ANTHONYD,Sep 8 2008, 02:44 PM Wrote:Add nites*** FTW.
[right][snapback]271868[/snapback][/right]

:lol:
ANTHONYD,Sep 8 2008, 03:44 PM Wrote:Add nites*** FTW.
[right][snapback]271868[/snapback][/right]

Sorry bud, that s*** only sticks to Foci ;)

I got the "final" tune installed. I'll be using the last quarter tank with a known volume of gas between 1/4 and E (0 KMs left). At this rate, it's nothing less than shocking and yet exactly along the lines of what I expected.

Just as a FYI, I went through no less than 10 distinct tunes in a week with Mike. His turnaround time, attention to detail and patience for my crackpot theories are all remarkable.

I'll also advise on the first full tank burned as well. So far, based on distance travelled vs. gas used as shown... I'm a happy camper :)
Alright, after almost a week in the "final tune" configuration, here are my thoughts and rough numbers (haven't had enough mileage to kill a tank yet).

Driveability - this is the only caveat I have to anyone with an Escape who wants to "follow in my shoes". The tune I am running is REALLY fuel economy-geared. It's not so much the fuel trims as it is the shift scheduling and the lockup scheduling. In fact, I'd go so far to say that it's too extreme for 90%+ of the population. It's not "unsafe" in that a kickdown swat of throttle downshifts and makes the truck get up and go, just like stock.

In 3rd gear it locks up @ 40 KM/H, cruising RPMs are about 1250-1300. No shudder, no clatter, just smooth pulling. Obviously uphill grades more than 3-4% will be interesting but on a 2-2.5% grade it will pull cleanly in 3rd at that speed and accelerate reasonably.

It grabs 4th directly (and by that I mean from locked 3rd to locked 4th) at 55 KM/H. Your engine RPMs before the shift are ~ 1600 and after you're back down to 1200 or so. It'll hold 4th down to 50 KM/H before unlocking, shifting to 3rd and then resuming lock after an appropriate amount of throttle is applied and held, same as stock (just different thresholds for speed).

Now for the likely unbelieved numbers.

The stock Limited 4WD gets 12.5 / 100 KMs in the city. Before the tune I was sitting somewhere between 11.5 and 12, unless I goosed it a fair amount. Mind you, that's likely driving more conservatively than the new EPA tests do.

Right now, based on the first 1/4 tank and my knowledge of the litre denominations of the tank level markings (each 1/4 tank indicated is approximately 13L)... I'm sitting just on the high side of 10L / 100 KMs city. I had travelled just over 50 KMs from 1/4 tank remaining (indicated) when the "get gas soon" light came on. This light comes on when the ECU infers that there's 80KMs left in the tank of usable range (before vapours and the final 10L of gas).

I've since given it $30 @ 127.7 cents/L, or 23.5L added. That took me just over 1/2 a tank indicated. Right now the trip computer believes I have another 240 KMs left after travelling about 45KMs, all city but a fair amount of constant speed cruising between 1300-1500 RPMs. I know that's to the "good" / low side of 10L / 100KMs, but I'm trying hard not to jump the shark here.

I'll do the math on a full fill next week, basing it on the fact that I started at 1/2 a tank. That'll be for the interim fuel usage numbers, of course.

I don't know what else to say, guys. This "tune" has really improved upon the city economy of the Escape. Plus, I'm not a mindless hack... most days. :P When we took a hilly road and it seemed as tho I'd really be lugging it on a grade, I manually flicked it down to 2nd so as not to harass the engine, then locked out 4th and shifted back to D.

I don't have a problem with that for two reasons: I asked for the truck to run the way it does and it's only doing what was asked of it. Plus, I do miss shifting so any legit chance to do it (at all, considering CDN Escapes and most USDM Escapes can't be had with a manual - no V6s, anyways) is worth it.

Sorry bout the long read, but so far the verdict is: WOW.

Oh, I switched over to Motorcraft full-synth 5W20 as well. I'm quite certain that it's playing a small part in my fuel economy improvements as well... credit where credit is due.

And speaking of credit due... Mike is one hell of a tuner. :banger:
I'm still on that first 1/2 tank... 150+ KMs and my gas light isn't on yet (comes on at 80 KM to E).
Sounds good dude...

I might be interested in something like that in the future, but I dunno. I just ordered the Bridgestones and they will be coming in next week and installed. I think the next 2 things I'll do is replace the stock filter with a K&N or AFE, and get the truck oilsprayed at Krown. After that, budget permitting, better light bulbs than OE, or pony up for the HID conversions.

A LOT of what I do to this truck is going to be in question though, as we're adopting our neighbours dog, and there's a VERY high chance that my gf is pregnant now too...so...stay tuned...
Drivesthebeast,Sep 27 2008, 11:18 AM Wrote:Sounds good dude...

I might be interested in something like that in the future, but I dunno.  I just ordered the Bridgestones and they will be coming in next week and installed.  I think the next 2 things I'll do is replace the stock filter with a K&N or AFE, and get the truck oilsprayed at Krown.  After that, budget permitting, better light bulbs than OE, or pony up for the HID conversions.

A LOT of what I do to this truck is going to be in question though, as we're adopting our neighbours dog, and there's a VERY high chance that my gf is pregnant now too...so...stay tuned...
[right][snapback]273420[/snapback][/right]

uh oh
Update on the update... I was down in Toronto (twice in one week... ugh) and heading home last Saturday when I heard what was unquestionably detonation at WOT in 1st as I accelerated up Black Creek Drive on my way home.

I've reinstalled the stock tune (reinstalled it in King City at the service centre, actually - I love travelling with the tuner in the cargo area) and nothing seems to be tweaked with the engine. I let off as soon as I heard it so it's not like I sat there and wailed on it.

I'll be sending a semi-ticked email to my tuner today / tomorrow as I'm just relaxing this weekend at home.

In retrospect, my tune was a VERY localized tune - driving around in Toronto with that tune installed was quite annoying at times. To be honest, I may tweak a few things and use the XCal2 to adjust for tire size and leave the stock fuel trims / spark maps as Ford intended.

More info as it comes.
NOS2Go4Me,Sep 27 2008, 01:21 PM Wrote:In retrospect, my tune was a VERY localized tune - driving around in Toronto with that tune installed was quite annoying at times. To be honest, I may tweak a few things and use the XCal2 to adjust for tire size and leave the stock fuel trims / spark maps as Ford intended.

More info as it comes.
[right][snapback]273422[/snapback][/right]

???? - regardless of where the tune came from shouldn't the knock sensor take care of the detonation before you hear it ... or does your aftermarket tune somehow disable it?
If it wasn't deto, it was engine retard from safeguards built in...

Now that I think about it with a clearer head, it likely was engine retard... but either way, it scared the s*** out of me at the time.

It could have also been crappy Toronto gas :)
Actually Kev, you might be right. I thought I noticed some bad economy going home that run that I didn't suffer going home again on Wednesday night.

Last Saturday's gas - Sunoco on Scarlett Rd. Old friends of the family own that place. Never thought their gas was that bad before. Tune was pulled in King City and truck was driven home stock the rest of the way (~320 KMs).

Wednesday's gas - Esso at Scarlett Rd. / Edenbridge. Considerably better fuel economy with pretty much the same driving patterns, if not even harder, on the way home that day.

For comparison's sake, I stomped on it when I merged back with 400 N/B traffic and it was a clean pull all the way to the 1-2 WOT shift. I dunno... combo of bad gas and the tune I guess.

I'm still thinking of what to write today. I don't want to come off as an asshole, but after driving it stock for a few days again, I'm not sure the fuel savings require such extreme measures on my part. I'll mull it over some more with a coffee :)
Bad mileage with Sunoco, eh? I always have bad mileage with Sunoco since they have started the ethanol blend across the whole line of fuel.

I'm running Petro-Can now in everything, so I get pure Dino juice all the time, no corn! :D At least the one by my house doesn't have blended fuel, some Petro-Cans do.

Look for the little yellow stickers on the pumps saying minimum 10% ethanol, and STAY AWAY if you want fuel efficiency. :)
My downfall is the only Petrocans in town are all full-serve, so I'd be paying at least 1 cent / L more from what I've seen, consistently, for gas.

I haven't bothered to stop and see if they're blended or not. As for the Essos, they might be blended but they're my "baseline" for all my fuel economy figures - good, bad or otherwise.

I'll be doing some more logging Sunday and then sending the latest tune fuel trims log back to my tuner. We'll look at it from there.