FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Guys, Talk To Your Mp's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This will ruin track days forever :(

http://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/P...&Mode=1&File=24

Quote:" BILL C-568
PROJET DE LOI C-568

An Act to amend the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (speed limiters)
Loi modifiant la Loi sur la sécurité automobile (limiteurs de vitesse)

1993, c. 16

The first reading went through on June 17, 2008.

Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:
Sa Majesté, sur l’avis et avec le consentement du Sénat et de la Chambre des communes du Canada, édicte : 1993, ch. 16

1. The Motor Vehicle Safety Act is amended by adding the following after section 5:
1. La Loi sur la sécurité automobile est modifiée par adjonction, après l’article 5, de ce qui suit :

Definition of “speed limiter”

5.1 (1) In this section, “speed limiter” means a device mounted on a vehicle that, when engaged, electronically limits the maximum speed at which the vehicle is driven to the speed set on the device. »

Restrictions re manufacture, importation, sale and lease

(2) No person shall manufacture, import into Canada or sell or lease to another person a vehicle unless it is equipped with a speed limiter that is engaged and set to a maximum speed that is not greater than 150 kilometres per hour.

Duty of repairer

(3) No person who repairs or maintains a vehicle shall release the vehicle to another person unless the vehicle is equipped with a speed limiter that is engaged and set to a maximum speed that is not greater than 150 kilometres per hour.

Restriction on operation

(4) No person who owns a vehicle or leases a vehicle from another person shall operate the vehicle or allow it to be operated by another person unless it is equipped with a speed limiter that is engaged and set to a maximum speed that is not greater than 150 kilometres per hour.

Application

(5) This section applies to vehicles manufactured on or after January 1, 2010 that are not fire-fighting vehicles, ambulances, police vehicles or other vehicles that are used for the purpose of emergency or vehicles that belong to a class of vehicles that is exempted from the application of this section by regulation. "
omg nooooooooooo

so much for legal racing
hey this is good news...we can blow the doors off any new "muscle car" after this is in effect...

I was seriously thinking that cars should actually have this in place. Perhaps some more thought is required, the device should work with GPS and limit the car to 20% over the posted speed limits. Therefore "offroad" would leave you unlimited... or something like that.
f*** Kevin...How am I supposed to outrun the police when they catch me going 50 over? :ph34r:
:lol:

Why dont they just make it 149km/hr and get rid of the other BS law. :rolleyes:

Fawkin politicians :lol: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Politicians with nothing better to do. Here's the MP that introduced the bill. I think I'll fire off a free letter to him.

http://www2.parl.gc.ca/parlinfo/Files/Parl...9413&Language=E

IT would get rid of street racing but what you do with your car on private property isnt up to the government to regulate. Most tracks are private property so as for track racing, it should still be possible as long as there is a way to dissable these modules.
CanadaSVT,Sep 4 2008, 11:44 AM Wrote:Politicians with nothing better to do.  Here's the MP that introduced the bill.  I think I'll fire off a free letter to him.

[right][snapback]271619[/snapback][/right]

Nice, think I'll send one too.

02ztsian

hardk0re,Sep 4 2008, 09:34 AM Wrote:I was seriously thinking that cars should actually have this in place.  Perhaps some more thought is required, the device should work with GPS and limit the car to 20% over the posted speed limits.  Therefore "offroad" would leave you unlimited... or something like that.
[right][snapback]271615[/snapback][/right]

Hell, why stop at speed limitations? How about using the information provided by GPS to mail you a ticket for speeding? Or tailgating? Or failing to stop for three seconds at a stop sign? Car rental agencies use GPS to "fine" drivers who exceed the posted limits under the guise of excessive wear and tear (although I believe it's legality is before the US courts right now).
You may feel this is a good thing; sorry to disagree with you but I feel this is setting a dangerous precedent. How about toll roads that charge you by the km, then bill your credit card automatically? GPS is a great tool for it's intended purpose-navigation. But to allow the government to use it to govern our actions? No thanks!

02ztsian

Flofocus,Sep 4 2008, 09:55 AM Wrote:
CanadaSVT,Sep 4 2008, 11:44 AM Wrote:Politicians with nothing better to do.  Here's the MP that introduced the bill.  I think I'll fire off a free letter to him.

[right][snapback]271619[/snapback][/right]

Nice, think I'll send one too.
[right][snapback]271621[/snapback][/right]

A Liberal-go figure! :rolleyes:
02ztsian,Sep 4 2008, 11:55 AM Wrote:
hardk0re,Sep 4 2008, 09:34 AM Wrote:I was seriously thinking that cars should actually have this in place.  Perhaps some more thought is required, the device should work with GPS and limit the car to 20% over the posted speed limits.  Therefore "offroad" would leave you unlimited... or something like that.
[right][snapback]271615[/snapback][/right]

Hell, why stop at speed limitations? How about using the information provided by GPS to mail you a ticket for speeding? Or tailgating? Or failing to stop for three seconds at a stop sign? Car rental agencies use GPS to "fine" drivers who exceed the posted limits under the guise of excessive wear and tear (although I believe it's legality is before the US courts right now).
You may feel this is a good thing; sorry to disagree with you but I feel this is setting a dangerous precedent. How about toll roads that charge you by the km, then bill your credit card automatically? GPS is a great tool for it's intended purpose-navigation. But to allow the government to use it to govern our actions? No thanks!
[right][snapback]271622[/snapback][/right]

:bowdown:
who wants to go 1/8 mile racing?
ZX3_2NV,Sep 4 2008, 12:16 PM Wrote:who wants to go 1/8 mile racing?
[right][snapback]271626[/snapback][/right]

LoL...

For some cars, they'll have to go 1/16th of a mile :blink:

I'd like to see this device in big transport trucks, but not everyday cars! Wow.
Gravter,Sep 4 2008, 11:53 AM Wrote:
ZX3_2NV,Sep 4 2008, 12:16 PM Wrote:who wants to go 1/8 mile racing?
[right][snapback]271626[/snapback][/right]

LoL...

For some cars, they'll have to go 1/16th of a mile :blink:

I'd like to see this device in big transport trucks, but not everyday cars! Wow.
[right][snapback]271632[/snapback][/right]
i think for trucks they wanted 120km/h limiter B)
I'm sure someone will find a way to bypass this soon enough :)

its just another chip that needs to be added to GPS or the car computer :)

Freaking gov officials, they should go and regulate gas prices isntead of this BS!
From what im being told by some local truckers is that alot of company trucks already have a limmiter and they are ususally set between 100-105 . Thats why when you see a truck passing another one ont he highway they can sometimes take like 5 klm to actually make the pass, its probably bc they cant go any farther.
Soon "the man" will be driving for us.

I think it's great.

Some guys I know have there trucks set at 90 so they're idiot drivers stop wrecking everything in site. Member seeing a Totalline transport in the garage of a widow's house. And the widow's husband old muscle car was in the Garage destroyed. close to a 500,000 dollar pay out was granted to her.
ANTHONYD,Sep 4 2008, 03:34 PM Wrote:Soon "the man" will be driving for us.

I think it's great.
[right][snapback]271646[/snapback][/right]

GM has been working on that since the 1960's. we already have remote cars, just not on the road to the public for sale yet.

As for limiters, we already have them on our cars if you think about it. the Focus is capped at 175-180 km/ph. most German cars are capped at the same speeds if they are build anywhere but Germany, and in Germany all cars are capped at 155 MPH or 260 Km/ph.
Frost__2001,Sep 4 2008, 03:26 PM Wrote:As for limiters, we already have them on our cars if you think about it. the Focus is capped at 175-180 km/ph.

and many have eliminated the limiter, so what would be the point of this Bill?
Pages: 1 2