FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Trailer Hitches
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just got an '07 wagon and need to install a trailer hitch.

I know the usual hitch is a class one about 1 and 1/4 inch, hitch but the thing is my main need for it is for a bike rack I already have that fits on my other car and it is a standard hitch - I thhink they call it a class three, it is about 2 inches square.

I might also want to tow a relatively small fifteen foot fibreglass boat with 70 horse motor but this is not essential. Or maybe a small u-haul trailer from time to time if I have something large to take up to the cottage.

The local bike rack store says they have an adaptor so my bike rack can fit in the smaller htich but I expect it will then stick out further from the back and be ugly and inconvenient.

They told me that on a FOCUS I could not install a standard size hitch.

Is this for real? I don't know why anyone would want less than a standard hitch.

Any other advice for me?

Thanks.

Norval,
Unfortunatly the focus isn't rated to tow more than what a Class I trailer hitch can handle. You will not find anything in a Class II or bigger as with a bigger hitch you will have the idiots trying to pull their 18' camper trailer with it. So that is why you can't find what you are looking for. You will be stuck with the adapter or buying a new bike rack.
IIRC max weight is 1500LB, so Class I is all that they will make for it...
Norval,Feb 23 2010, 10:25 PM Wrote:They told me that on a FOCUS I could not install a standard size hitch.

Is this for real? I don't know why anyone would want less than a standard hitch.
[right][snapback]302003[/snapback][/right]
At the risk of sounding like a smart-ass, towing ratings are based on 3 things -- the ability to pull, the ability to control, and the ability to stop.

The ability to pull -- your car has 140hp and 140trq, is geared for fuel economy, light duty small car construction. (Strike 1, 2, and 3)

Ability to contol -- your car weighs 2700 pounds -- a class one hitch is 1500 pounds at which you are trying to control a trailer that weighs over half of what your car does. All it takes is a good crosswind and you're done. (Strike 4)

Ability to stop -- while the brakes on a Focus are ok for stopping a Focus, even with only a loaded Class 1 hitch you're asking a car designed to stop 2700 pounds to stop 5200 pounds. You're asking for brake fade. (Strike 5)

The reason they won't put a "standard size" hitch on the Focus is simple -- legal liability. As "Focus Man" said, if you put a 2" receiver on it you're going to have some idiot trying to tow a 5000 pound camper with it, rip the car apart or kill themselves or someone else, then try to sue Ford, the hitch company, the trailer company or anyone else they can.

Quote:Any other advice for me?
1) new bike rack that fits the focus
2) you can modify the rack you already have if you have a welder or know someone who does. Then you use a sleeve over the smaller adapter to use it in the 2" receiver of the other car.
3) as for towing, I have little advice other than use a vehicle that is designed for towing. I wouldn't recommend anyone tow anything with a Focus, whether it has a hitch on it or not. Just not the right tool for the job IMHO
you can doo any thing. buy a standard hitch and install it. most of them are universal and adjustable. we installed on on my buddys saturn for this same reason.

its doable

just dont go trying to pull a car trailer lol
Jmountney1,Feb 24 2010, 11:47 AM Wrote:you can doo any thing.  buy a standard hitch and install it. most of them are universal and adjustable. we installed on on my buddys saturn for this same reason.

its doable

just dont go trying to pull a car trailer lol
[right][snapback]302018[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and had a standard 2 inch hitch receiver installed. It is tucked away under the bumber and is hardly noticeable.

Now I can attach my Warn winch to the back, just need the wiring !