FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: New Member Who Needs Advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!

I live in Mississauga and I own a 2002 ZX3. I bought it new and I'll never part with it. I'm now looking at customizing it and this site is the best place to start! If anyone can help me out, I'm thinking of installing a sunroof in my car and I was wondering if this is a good idea or bad idea. Any suggestions? And does anyone know a good sunroof installer in the Toronto area? Thank you!
After market sunroof's are not a very good idea. They have a bad history of leaking, well the cheap ones do. The only good aftermarket sun roofs that I am aware of are made by a company called Webasto. They do a lot of the OEM designing and manufacturing for most European makes. But they are extremely expensive.

Good luck on your quest!
Focus man, Focus.,Aug 23 2008, 04:05 PM Wrote:After market sunroof's are not a very good idea. They have a bad history of leaking, well the cheap ones do. The only good aftermarket sun roofs that I am aware of are made by a company called Webasto. They do a lot of the OEM designing and manufacturing for most European makes. But they are extremely expensive.

Good luck on your quest!
[right][snapback]270962[/snapback][/right]

Thank you for the reply and advice. I will have to give it serious thought. I'll check out Webasto and decide if it's worth the money.
Welcome aboard ... I think sunroofs are a lot like most things automotive - you get what you pay for.

IIRC there is a company called ASC (American Sunroof Corp?) that at one time did original engineering work on sunroofs for OEM manufacturers and they'd be used to create sunroofs for one of a kind models, bucks or mules for them ... and I think that if a dealer sold you a sunroof to be installed by them, it was in fact ASC that did the installation as they were authorized by the OEM.

There's a company in Mississauga called "Automotive Sunroof Corporation (ASC)" but I don't know if its the same company. If it is, I'd be inclined to think that their quality would be good.

Good luck with this - let us know how you're doing and, oh ... pics are always good (just not in the welcome section) ... car, wife, girlfiriend, boyfriend, dog, cottage, ... whatever - post em up for us to have a look at.

Cheers ... Ken.

**EDIT: never mind, I just read an article about the ASC I was referring to filing for bankruptcy last year following the death of the founder**

Interesting note: http://asc-sunroof.com resolves to the Webasto showroom home page ... so there ya go.
welcome....

i'd stay away from that idea as far as possible.......on the other side i really enjoy my OEM sunroof :P
Well I would have to agree with some of the other guys and say its not worth it, the potential for it being done wrong and the cost involved would be high. I had sunroofs in my last two cars and my wife was the only one who used them. On my new car I didn't even bother, plus you do get more head room with out one. If you are looking to customize your car talk to ZTWsquared about some SVT rims, that would look nice.
After reading some of the comments, I don't think I'll get one, but I will still call a few installers and post what I learn. I'm married with 2 babies that are 11 months apart, so I'm serious when I say my car is my "escape". Before I was married, I've done so much in that car that I will never clean the stains out. I will try to learn as much as I can about after market sunroofs and will post whatever I can find out. Wabesto seems to be the best because they offer up to a 5 year warranty.
my wife has a 2000 ZX3 that she bought in 2004. it has an aftermarket sunroof that was installed when she bought it. i believe that it was installed by Tint Master in Mississauga but i could not find a name on the glass - looks like a model number of L300 or similar. it has been great - no ratlles, no leaks, finished well inside the car and i really like the fresh air it brings in - i use it all the time