FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Okay Wth Is This?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I'm under the hood this morning and I see a wire hanging loose ... surprising because the car is working fine.

This wire used to be plugged into a little box on the passenger side of the engine compartment just behind the coolant container (which I've never noticed before) ... the unplugged wire simply goes to a grounding point near the strut tower and the other wire goes down into a wire bundle on the backside of the engine.

I'm thinking it's just a ground ... but what does the little black box do?

[Image: Blackbox.png]
ZTWsquared,Aug 23 2008, 02:28 PM Wrote:This wire used to be plugged into a little box...

*puts on dark shades*

Sir, we're going to have to ask you to step away from the vehicle.

Now, we'd like you all to gather around and to look at this point... right... here.

*BZAAAP*

*removes shades*

Now, what you witnessed was a bird going into your engine bay. You opened the hood to check it out and hit your head. You'll be ok, just a minor concussion. B)

Honestly, trace the other wire? It looks like a simple resistor assembly to me.
NOS2Go4Me,Aug 23 2008, 08:18 PM Wrote:
ZTWsquared,Aug 23 2008, 02:28 PM Wrote:This wire used to be plugged into a little box...

*puts on dark shades*

Sir, we're going to have to ask you to step away from the vehicle.

Now, we'd like you all to gather around and to look at this point... right... here.

*BZAAAP*

*removes shades*

Now, what you witnessed was a bird going into your engine bay. You opened the hood to check it out and hit your head. You'll be ok, just a minor concussion. B)

Honestly, trace the other wire? It looks like a simple resistor assembly to me.
[right][snapback]270971[/snapback][/right]

Or it could be the plutonium extractor module?
You've heard of black boxes on airplanes, right??? Well.....
Flux Capictor?
The little black block is a capacitor. The wire that is broken is the ground side. The other wire goes to the positive feed on the ignition coils. The broken capacitor will cause a bit more electrical noise and possibly a little erratic spark. It is not too important but you should get a replacement. I don't have any idea what Ford will want for it and you can most certainly find one at a wreckers if they have a Duratec Focus. I do not know what the value of the capacitor is. If you have problems getting one or the price is in excess of $15, then I will measure mine and advise how to replace it with a substitute part for around $5 probably.
LightAges,Aug 24 2008, 12:08 AM Wrote:The little black block is a capacitor. The wire that is broken is the ground side. The other wire goes to the positive feed on the ignition coils. The broken capacitor will cause a bit more electrical noise and possibly a little erratic spark. It is not too important but you should get a replacement. I don't have any idea what Ford will want for it and you can most certainly find one at a wreckers if they have a Duratec Focus. I do not know what the value of the capacitor is. If you have problems getting one or the price is in excess of $15, then I will measure mine and advise how to replace it with a substitute part for around $5 probably.
[right][snapback]270983[/snapback][/right]

Or Flux Capictor?
LightAges,Aug 24 2008, 12:08 AM Wrote:The little black block is a capacitor. The wire that is broken is the ground side. The other wire goes to the positive feed on the ignition coils. The broken capacitor will cause a bit more electrical noise and possibly a little erratic spark. It is not too important but you should get a replacement. I don't have any idea what Ford will want for it and you can most certainly find one at a wreckers if they have a Duratec Focus. I do not know what the value of the capacitor is. If you have problems getting one or the price is in excess of $15, then I will measure mine and advise how to replace it with a substitute part for around $5 probably.
[right][snapback]270983[/snapback][/right]
Thanks very much Les (and thanks Adam for making me spew my coffee) ... getting parts cheap isn't a problem for me thankfully ... but in any event the car isn't two years old yet, so still plenty of good ole Ford warranty.

Speaking of warranty ... I've also got a hole in my shifter boot (my cheap, paper thin vinyl shifter boot) ... does anybody remember the name of that guy last year who joined and then offered to make up some leather ones ... anybody buy one?

And oh yeah, just in case Les isn't correct about it being a capacitor (or was that a Flux Capacitor) keep the guesses coming - very entertaining.
ZTWsquared,Aug 24 2008, 02:31 AM Wrote:Speaking of warranty ... I've also got a hole in my shifter boot (my cheap, paper thin vinyl shifter boot) ... does anybody remember the name of that guy last year who joined and then offered to make up some leather ones ... anybody buy one?

The Mailman 666

Here is his thread:
leather shift boots thread

I could use a new boot as well.
^^ Ditto..I pm'd him and no reply...

If you remove that black box you will save a bundle on your car insurance!
your car's still under warentee right Ken?

if so just take it into ford and show them, because I'm sure that's not part of the wear out items, plus it's related to your engine so it might be under the drivetrain warentee.
Frost__2001,Aug 24 2008, 12:46 PM Wrote:your car's still under warentee right Ken?

if so just take it into ford and show them, because I'm sure that's not part of the wear out items, plus it's related to your engine so it might be under the drivetrain warentee.
[right][snapback]270998[/snapback][/right]
Yup ... early Dec 06 production ... IIRC the last week they made Focus wagons ... and just 40k now so still under the full bumper to bumper ... so yeah, definitely a warranty item.
Been at hosp all weekend finally read this. Ken mine is the exact samething. I have no prob with the car, I was just going to take it all apart and reground the hell out of it.
dBlast,Aug 24 2008, 10:38 AM Wrote:
ZTWsquared,Aug 24 2008, 02:31 AM Wrote:Speaking of warranty ... I've also got a hole in my shifter boot (my cheap, paper thin vinyl shifter boot) ... does anybody remember the name of that guy last year who joined and then offered to make up some leather ones ... anybody buy one?

The Mailman 666

Here is his thread:
leather shift boots thread

I could use a new boot as well.
[right][snapback]270990[/snapback][/right]

I have a set from him and love them!
hardk0re,Aug 24 2008, 10:44 AM Wrote:^^ Ditto..I pm'd him and no reply...

If you remove that black box you will save a bundle on your car insurance!
[right][snapback]270991[/snapback][/right]
No reply to my PM either ... I guess it's true - the mailman never rings twice.

Anyway ... I've got a line on what appears to be the exact same product made in Europe, apparently of very high quality (Italian calfskin leather, double or quadruple stitching, choice of leather colour and stitching colour, shorter height for short shifter, etc)

The price would be a bit more than the mailman charged ... roughly 65 to 70 for a set that includes the shift boot and the e-brake boot, depending on how many, options, and exact shipping charges ... I traded emails with the guy and he's amenable to a group buy ... Vince and Kevin have expressed an interest ... so that's three of us ... anyone else might want to get in on this?
[Image: shiftboot1.jpg]
[Image: shiftboot2.jpg]
[Image: shiftboot3.jpg]