FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: I Miss My Cruise Control
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,
my replacement wagon doesn't have cruise control and I miss it immensely. Is there some way I can take the steering wheel from my smashed '02 wagon which has cruise and the associated wiring and move it to my '04 wagon?

Would it be difficult? What about the airbag?

Thanks,
Scott
i think CT has some cruise control kits. They are ugly as hell but i think it would be cheaper. on the other hand lot of cars might have the wiring all in there, you might just need to replace the wheel and you could get lucky :)
I just found link to a ford document on Focus Fanatics showing the install of the Ford aftermarket cruise and it looks like a bit of a job. With some help I may be able to do it. Any pointers or hints would be greatly appreciated.
I doubt you will find anyone that has done this swap but there are a bunch of people who are great at installing stereo systems and such. You might have some luck in that respect.
The biggest stumbling block would be that the old engine is a Zetec and the new is an SPI. Cable lengths and part positioning may be different.
there are kits for the focus available on the market from ford on placed like e-bay, and from ford it self. Try talking to Ken as he can get some good deals on some aftermarket OEM ford parts.
I did the cruise install on my '01 Zetec wagon a while back. Yes, it's a big job, but not that big. Just take your time and you'll be fine. As someone posted earlier, you should be able to find a factory ford cruise kit on e-bay for a fairly good price. Just be sure you buy the one for your motor and interior colour (the kit comes with a new wheel).
I miss my cruise too... it just stopped working one day
ME ME ME I just happen to have a steering wheel no air bag with cruise controls kicking around at home. Im pretty sure its in my shed i'll have to take a look It came when I put tilt steering in my 00 ZX3
ZX3_2NV,Aug 29 2008, 09:19 AM Wrote:ME ME ME I just happen to have a steering wheel no air bag with cruise controls kicking around at home. Im pretty sure its in my shed i'll have to take a look It came when I put tilt steering in my 00 ZX3
[right][snapback]271261[/snapback][/right]

Did you put the stock tilt steering in? Maybe I could change my whole column and get the cruise from the wheel and the tilt all from my smashed parts car. I think I may be getting ahead of myself. :lol:

Deep breath...relax. B)
heelchain,Aug 29 2008, 11:24 AM Wrote:Did you put the stock tilt steering in?  Maybe I could change my whole column and get the cruise from the wheel and the tilt all from my smashed parts car.    I think I may be getting ahead of myself.    :lol:

Deep breath...relax.  B)
Installing the tilt column is a really easy job. It's a drop-in replacement for the non-tilt column. And, if you do it at the same time as the cruise install it makes it even easier, since you have to take most of the same things off during both installs.

Ivan MacKenzie.
imack,Aug 30 2008, 03:04 PM Wrote:
heelchain,Aug 29 2008, 11:24 AM Wrote:Did you put the stock tilt steering in?  Maybe I could change my whole column and get the cruise from the wheel and the tilt all from my smashed parts car.    I think I may be getting ahead of myself.    :lol:

Deep breath...relax.  B)
Installing the tilt column is a really easy job. It's a drop-in replacement for the non-tilt column. And, if you do it at the same time as the cruise install it makes it even easier, since you have to take most of the same things off during both installs.

Ivan MacKenzie.
[right][snapback]271313[/snapback][/right]

Hmmmmm. I will have to look at it and see what exactly 'easy' is. ;) Thanks
Yaa how about not easy at all, it will take a few good hours. and whats this you speak of a parts car you selling any parts from it or the whole thing what do you have if you don't mind me asking