FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: People Changes At Ford
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't know if it's been made public yet, but Barry Engle, president and CEO of Ford of Canada is leaving the company entirely after just 7 months in that position ... and his predecessor, Bill Osborne, who left Ford of Canada to take the top spot at Ford Australia, is also leaving the company after just 7 months down under.

Additionally, two of the most senior directors at Ford of Canada recently lost their jobs (including the Director of Customer Satisfaction) and not to be replaced AFAIK.

No replacement has been named for Engle.
I think they need to fire a few more people.

Lets start with some design engineers. There's got to be better skilled ones out there.

Am I right fellas? :lol:
Your going to hear about alot of people leaving soon. We are hearing that they inked a deal Friday to allow the 350 Potential hirees then not so hirees a place at Ford after all. They are offering 550 packages for retirement. $120k cash and $35k towards a car. This will allow room for the loss of the 3rd shift and the placement of the 350 who were screwed. Hope it all works out for eveyone. The boy is moving on to bigger and better things as a mechanic at a Ford dealer in Hamilton come September

And they just let go about 2 weeks ago 25+ middle managers.
meford4u,Aug 22 2008, 10:57 PM Wrote:Your going to hear about alot of people leaving soon.  We are hearing that they inked a deal Friday to allow the 350 Potential hirees then not so hirees a place at Ford after all.  They are offering 550 packages for retirement.  $120k cash and $35k towards a car.  This will allow room for the loss of the 3rd shift and the placement of the 350 who were screwed.  Hope it all works out for eveyone.  The boy is moving on to bigger and better things as a mechanic at a Ford dealer in Hamilton come September

And they just let go about 2 weeks ago 25+ middle managers.
[right][snapback]270929[/snapback][/right]

Yup ... quite a few of my friends/colleagues from the last 2 decades are now gone from FOC ... CHQ is looking really, really empty now.

And Ford of Canada just announced they are dropping their Quality Certified Used Vehicle Program
^^ Wow. I'm really glad I got my Escape when I did, then. I always enjoyed the peace of mind in buying a used Ford vehicle from my local dealer. Perhaps my next vehicle, if used, won't be a Ford after all.

GL to your boy, Bryan. It's a volatile world out there.
meford4u,Aug 22 2008, 10:57 PM Wrote:This will allow room for the loss of the 3rd shift and the placement of the 350 who were screwed.  [right][snapback]270929[/snapback][/right]
Personally it will be interesting to see if any of the names on the class action suit make it in. I'll lay money they hire them then can their asses.
OAC_Sparky,Aug 23 2008, 12:05 AM Wrote:Personally it will be interesting to see if any of the names on the class action suit make it in. I'll lay money they hire them then can their asses.
[right][snapback]270937[/snapback][/right]

You've got to be kidding me!! I can't believe the stupidity of some people!!

I know as far as myself i had nothing signed, and was simplely asked over the phone if i would accept the position?! Upon saying yes, i was told where to go for orientation and what information to bring...

So yeah i'd like to see them fired as well!!

And the poor guy i spoke to on the phone, about 3rd shift being Cancelled for sure,
I think was glad to talk to someone who wasn't pissed off and freaking out! :D I think i was talking to him for a good 20 mins about what's going on out here with GM and my company's layoffs :rolleyes:
I'm related to a member that works at ford. The guy who designed the flex was fired last week. This vehicle was designed to save the company. However, they are not selling.

The reviews are fantastic. I've been in one and it is all that! The only turn off is the engine. With today's gas prices, it is a total turn off.
JAMUS,Aug 24 2008, 12:32 PM Wrote:I'm related to a member that works at ford. The guy who designed the flex was fired last week. This vehicle was designed to save the company. However, they are not selling.

The reviews are fantastic. I've been in one and it is all that! The only turn off is the engine. With today's gas prices, it is a total turn off.
[right][snapback]270996[/snapback][/right]
I'm on record here as being someone who simply doesn't "get" the Flex (I've sat in one and they seem nicely put together) ... but then again I guess I'm not the target market (what is the target market anyway).

Virtually anything you can get with the Flex you can get with the Taurus X and for less money and a less controversial package ... and frankly I think the Taurus X is just a little clunky looking, with the Flex even more so ... I prefer my wagons the way Audi does them ... but I digress ... I was driving past the dealership in Georgetown last week and they had a black Flex out front ... my wife asked me why Ford would put a "hearst" on the front line (my wife's first language is French) ... my wife, who is all about family haulers, said, pun intended, that she wouldn't be caught dead in one.

Personally, I think Ford has missed the boat with both the Taurus X and the Flex ... and having both IMO does nothing more than confuse the marketing mix even more.
ZTWsquared,Aug 24 2008, 12:51 PM Wrote:Personally, I think Ford has missed the boat with both the Taurus X and the Flex ... and having both IMO does nothing more than confuse the marketing mix even more.
[right][snapback]270999[/snapback][/right]
The Flex is a polarizing design. Just like the Magnum, Avalanche, PT Cruiser, etc.

It's ok having a product that doesn't sell 200,000 a year of as long as that's not the only thing that is being built in the plant. It's not. Some people hated the Edge when it came out, predicted it would flop too. It didn't. Word is that they're not pushing the Flex as hard yet because they're trying to purge the SUV stock sitting on the lot.
I thought there downward sprinal start the day after they did not re sign Puppet as the HAMMER spokesman
down down down since then
OAC_Sparky,Aug 24 2008, 02:19 PM Wrote:The Flex is a polarizing design. Just like the Magnum, Avalanche, PT Cruiser, etc.

It's ok having a product that doesn't sell 200,000 a year of as long as that's not the only thing that is being built in the plant. It's not. Some people hated the Edge when it came out, predicted it would flop too. It didn't.  Word is that they're not pushing the Flex as hard yet because they're trying to purge the SUV stock sitting on the lot.
[right][snapback]271004[/snapback][/right]
Yeah I understand the manufacturing benefits of building a lower-volume, higher profit niche vehicle on the same line as a core product ... but that doesn't change the reality of the need to identify the target market, create a vehicle that meets the psychographics and demographics of that market, and then communicate appropriately with the identified market in such a way as to properly position the vehicle and create demand.

I'm in the business and I don't know who Ford is targetting for the Flex ... maybe its not at all appropriate for Canada ... maybe it's some strange subset of American society that venerates both Chip Foose and Funkmaster Flex .. all I know is that everyone I ask about it (both in the business and not) say "I don't know who might want a Flex ... but I know I'm not one of them."

If there's a target market out there for the Flex, it's not apparent who they are or what they want based on Ford's advertising and marketing.

IMO you should be able to sum up the market for a vehicle in one concise statement that says it all ... it's easy for Mustang, F-150, Ranger and Ford SUVs ... sort of easy for Focus, Edge, Fusion and Taurus X ... maybe it's just me ... but I just don't see it for Flex.
Thing about the Flex is, they aimed it at the people who wanted what the Freestar had in spades (room) but without the "issues" that dogged the Freestar until they fixed them all (by that time the Freestar was a well screwed together piece of machinery but had a lingering stink to it that killed any profit to be made in it)

I think the Flex is an interesting vehicle, it doesn't fit my needs and lifestyle ATM, but who knows what the future brings?

NefCanuck

02ztsian

I personally like the Flex a lot from what I have seen. I have yet to drive one as I tend to stay away from dealers (temptations, you know!); I like to hear they are not selling. Perhaps I can get one in 6 months for a steal....
NefCanuck,Aug 24 2008, 10:54 PM Wrote:Thing about the Flex is, they aimed it at the people who wanted what the Freestar had in spades (room) but without the "issues" that dogged the Freestar until they fixed them all (by that time the Freestar was a well screwed together piece of machinery but had a lingering stink to it that killed any profit to be made in it)

I think the Flex is an interesting vehicle, it doesn't fit my needs and lifestyle ATM, but who knows what the future brings?

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]271021[/snapback][/right]

I agree, Nef. The Flex is the "cool" Freestyle without the "mommy wagon" roof hump that denotes you care more about Junior's hockey bag than you do style and status. The Flex is "I haven't given up trying to be retro-cool, but I have kids and a pet".

The Edge is Ford's answer to the Murano. It's just too... cityfied (yes, I just made that up) for me to reasonable consider driving it (the Murano). Maybe that's because I consider the Murano anathema to my visions of ANY vehicle. It's androgenous and I can't stand it. :o I'd attempt the Edge, but I'd likely end up finding it too carlike and then wonder why I'm not driving a tuned Fusion or something.

Escape = S.O., maybe a kid or two, probably a pet, sometimes you like to "wander" off the beaten path.

Edge = Trying so hard to be "hip" with 2-3 kids it hurts.

Flex = It was this or restore a Vista Cruiser. Now where's my surfboard? It'll be a roofrack for Junior's luggage.

Taurus X = WTH? Didn't they kill the Freestyle? Does Grandpa really need to bring his stuffed moose heads everywhere? If so, just get an Explorer or something. No style, AWD like the Edge and Flex (and same powertrains)... more than slightly redundant?
If the ZTW suddenly needed to be replaced we'd get a Flex with the 255/45/20 wheel package, but I'm hoping that doesn't happen until the turbo version arrives.