FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Fuel Economy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hey everyone....havent been here in a while, but the other thread is closed, just recently ive noticed my car has been eating my gas. i put my stock air filter back in hoping that it will work and also changed the PCV valve today. plugs/wire all that stuff just changed last year. would there be any other solution other than checking the injectors?

Thanks Tom

P.S mostly HWY driving and ive been using about a quarter tank a day
Fuel filter and maybe tran fluid, less restriction I guess. I noticed on my car just this week I increased in fuel ecoonomy just by keeping my traction unlocked.
fuel filter sound like a good idea...i have a 5 speed does it still need tranny fluid
year/model?

TPS or that other part, mounts on the firewall, dies on every focus eventually, who's name is completely escaping me.
ZTS_DJ, yes it does....but i don't see how it will increase the fuel economy....this the first time i hear something like that

my car also sucks on the milege....and i've changed everything and still no good.....everyday highway i get 475-510km

DPFE???
Its a 2003 ZTS 2.0 DOHC....ill try to change the fuel filter sometime this weekend, but what i dont understand is what does "DPFE" mean and why does the focus get reallllllyy bad fuel economy as they get older
The best I ever got was 520kms on a tank and that was about 80% highway driving. That was right after an oil change. But I usually average about 430kms in heavy highway traffic going to and from work.
Yes changing your Tranny fluid is a good idea, you should change it every 100,000 kms, or every 2 years since you have a 5 speed, auto is every year or 50,000 kms, I noticed after I had all my car's fluids changed my MPG increased a little bit. but for sure the fuel filter would be my bet.

also toss in some injecter cleaner before you fill up, it will help get rid of any build up you have in engine, it's also a good idea to toss in a bottle of injecter cleaner every 4 months or so to keep the system clean and in good working order.
What mods do you have done?

Have you tried cleaning your MAF? Combine that with a new fuel filter and you should be golden!

Also what type of gas to you use? I noticed that by using sunoco 94 while my car was chipped it kept my intake mani and head ALOT cleaner than the motor with the same amount of Km's that i got from the wreckers. I'm not saying use 94, but use some of the more well know gas companies. I use only Esso or Sunoco
ZTS_DJ,Aug 22 2008, 03:54 PM Wrote:Its a 2003 ZTS 2.0 DOHC....ill try to change the fuel filter sometime this weekend, but what i dont understand is what does "DPFE" mean and why does the focus get reallllllyy bad fuel economy as they get older
[right][snapback]270911[/snapback][/right]
You might want to check for vacuum leaks ... also x2 on cleaning the injectors and cleaning the MAF

Good info on DPFE here
Currently driving with my DPFE disconnected (focus hacks mod 1), CEL shining away, I'm getting over 550 a tank before the light comes on.

List of maintenance done lately
-tranny fluid (5k ago)
-fuel filter (5k ago)
-wires (10k ago)
-plugs (12k ago)
-cleaned air filter (12k ago)
-cleaned maf (12k ago)

Time for an oil change too. I noticed an increase in mileage after the tranny fluid (automatic though) and I have switched to Motorcraft semi-synth 5w20.
Yeah I need to do a lot of what is listed above. The tranny is way over due as well as the fuel filter. Any one have the tool to undo the clips that hold it on?
ya I always toss a bottle of injector cleaner after every oil change........gotta do maf though
NikiterZTS,Aug 23 2008, 12:53 AM Wrote:ya I always toss a bottle of injector cleaner after every oil change[right][snapback]270936[/snapback][/right]

ditto.
I really should get into the habit of that. The Escape gets synth starting next week.
Focus man, Focus.,Aug 23 2008, 12:23 AM Wrote:Yeah I need to do a lot of what is listed above.  The tranny is way over due as well as the fuel filter.  Any one have the tool to undo the clips that hold it on?
[right][snapback]270935[/snapback][/right]

Hold the fuel filter on? Mine was just the little white clips, that you pop off with a screw driver. :iono:

Hardest part was getting it out. I changed it while it was on the hoist in the shop getting the tranny fluid changed.
Ok, latest tank for me...

611 km before low fuel light!!!!! :D WOOT!

Changes: new DPFE, reset computer to clear CEL.

Oh, and I need an oil change, so it should only get better.
I could get around 550 to 650 in city, It's 5000KM before trany and fuel filter change and i'm barely getting 360KM. Big difference.
650 city with an automatic? no wai....
Way. LOL.
The week that Jen's in the car driving around with me lol.
Though seriously I got to 658 one day running from Bolton, Brampton, Mississauga. Just running around.
I really want to take a drie down to Florida or even over to Las Vegas to see some sights.
Pages: 1 2