FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Anyone Remember The Cougar Ace?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Cougar Ace was the car hauler with a load of Mazdas that almost sunk in the North Pacific.

It's older, not sure why I didn't see it before. Great article, good story.

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/m...currentPage=all

Ryan
some of those guys look like modern day pirates! :lol:
That was a pretty interesting read. I remember reading about it when it first happened, but i didn't realize someone had died during the salvage operation.
Great read. Luckily I am not very busy at work today or I would be very behind by now. LOL
Its a very tough business to be in either on the ships themselves or working ashore with them and I do both. I got a phone call at 2300 on Valentines Day because my oil tanker had a fire off the coast of Maine, two crew members/coworkers/friends with burns due to a flash fire.

In a sense we were all very lucky as the boys did everything right onboard and ashore, it could have been a huge disaster with 13 souls lost and 70,000 barrels of oil in the water right off the coast of a US State Park. We are required to have $US 5 Billion in insurance for such things.

USCG bulliten:

http://www.uscgnewengland.com/go/doc/778/192287/

My album from the clean up and repairs:

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=...7f&id=687620231

It's BIG, dont think Theodore Tug Boat:

[Image: Norman-McLeod12-2-02.jpg]

Because of such things I took the offer to move into HR recently but not much changes, I still visit ships and take trips. Recently I sent one of the boys home to Newfie travel paid because he was sick; he went to the doctor, was told he had cancer, went to the garage and blew his head off with a shotgun.

I sure hope the Doctor was right. Problem is that if it was the type of cancer I am told it was, it is 90+% fully treatable. The mandatory company arranged and paid for life insurance is void because it was a suicide. My hands are tied as that is the policy of ALL carriers out there.

I am well matched to my job but it sure has it's ups and downs; perhaps why I am so well matched to it?
Funny thing (?) is that despite all the reporting we do to them the USCG press release indicates they also have NO idea the size of these things. They mention it having a radio as if we were lucky to have one!

They also asumed a tug is just a tiny thing.

SORRY we have 3 fixed VHF's, 10 portables, SAT phone, 3 cellular lines, 5 email addy's, EPIRB's galore, AIS and every other gadget availible on the high seas.
2001 ZTS,Aug 31 2008, 07:39 PM Wrote:Funny thing (?) is that despite all the reporting we do to them the USCG press release indicates they also have NO idea the size of these things. They mention it having a radio as if we were lucky to have one!

They also asumed a tug is just a tiny thing.

SORRY we have 3 fixed VHF's, 10 portables, SAT phone, 3 cellular lines, 5 email addy's, EPIRB's galore, AIS and every other gadget availible on the high seas.
[right][snapback]271349[/snapback][/right]

What Kind of sat phone?
One of the TWO we had was Globalstar, it was our primary because it was cheaper than the cells until their birds started to fail. We are MARSAT C now if I remeber right?

Taking offers and will pass such things on: